Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First Trip To Erie 8/11/13

Started by MSURoss, August 13, 2013, 11:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSURoss

Made a three hour trip down to Catawba Island Sunday with my girlfriend who was visiting a friend. Decided to haul my aluminum boat down and give Erie a shot weather permitting. I've always heard about Erie pigs, but didn't expect I was actually going to get into them  ;D .

I launched out of the state park on Catawba Island at 9am with waves around two feet and heavy overcast skies. Water temp was 73 degrees with visibility around 3 feet. Thunderstorms were in the afternoon forecast, so I didn't want to venture to offshore by myself.

Lakemaster chip showed Mouse Island reef being the closest at about halfway to South Bass Island. Once on the reef, I set up and threw a tube in 12-18 fow with no luck. Switched to a dropshot and bang 3.4 smallie!

Purple smoke Erie Darter was the ticket! I made 8 more passes across the reef duel wielding drop shots and managed to catch a 4.8, 4.9, 3.5, 3.7 and 3.4!! I lost several more 4+ giants that would've helped the cause too!

I was really surprised to catch a couple nice green fish as well. At this point I am basically foaming at the mouth because my live well has only seen 12-13lbs ;D Despite pumping in fresh water the whole day one of my big ones bellied up in 30min.

Couldn't figure out that one because all my other fish were happy campers when released (fish was not bloated). The fish were picky though, not willing to commit to cranks, tubes or Carolina rigs.

As soon as I drifted into 20 fow + the goby bites stopped as well as the bass.  Drum were very active as well on Mouse reef, caught at least 7 around 4lbs. I wanted to find a few more spots so I ran close by to Strave Island Reef about a mile or so by. I marked many fish, but only got one 3lber to commit to a Gulp leech in about 17 fow.

Then I boated to a southern point off south bass Island only to get goby taps. I had to pick up my girlfriend at put-in-bay at 5 so I gave Green Island a try. Fished the eastern point and caught a few just under 3lbs on drop shot. Again drop shot was the only successful technique.

Once I picked up my gf she took a couple pics of my two biggest smallies I've ever caught, she said they looked like carp lol. To go to Erie for my first time with only my lakemaster and sack 20.3 was the best experience I've ever had. Caught 12 or so keepers and many drum. Can't wait to go back to one of the best fisheries in the world!!!

Team houston

Nice fish. Why didn't you release the big one when it started showing signs of distress?

MSURoss

I should've...wanted a picture being my pb. Thought it would recover. Maybe it needed to be fizzed? Didn't catch it that deep though.

Grinny

Sounds like an awesome day on a new body of water! Too bad about the dead lunker though...

gmetime24

Great job on those pigs!! Sounds like an awesome time. Congrats on your new pb hog smallmouth!!

Firefighter Jeff

Congratulations Ross !!!  You're a Lake Erie Rookie Sensation !!!!!    Catch any Dogfish ???????  lololol    ;D

MSURoss

No dogs or pike this time lol I bring a net for that reason  ;D