Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the best braid for Spinning reels....

Started by Grinny, August 16, 2013, 03:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinny

I had tried braid on one of my spinning set ups 2-3 years ago, and the line knotted up so badly I ended up tearing it off. I loved the sensitivity, but not the hassle. I think it may have been spiderwire, but I don't remember for sure.

Any suggestions on a braid that doesn't cause problems on spinning reels?

YpsiBass

I use Sufix performance braid on all my spinning reels.  I tried power pro, but it was too stiff for me.  All spinning reels gave me knot problems until I switched to reels with larger diameter spools.  Daiwa makes some great spinning reels with wide spools.

djkimmel

I have only used P-Line Spectrex IV for a number of year now. The least amount of problems on spinning or casting reels with various techniques. I find it on sale a lot too since it is not as popular around here.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I fish 2500 and 3000 series reels. I use both Power pro and Spiderwire Flourobraid without any issues..

I use 10lb Power pro and 15lb Flourobraid...

I have never had any issues with any braid on spinning reels to be honest...Do you close the bail by hand??? Maybe try a line conditioner..

Do you use a Flourocarbon leader??

Grinny

All my spinning reels are Shimano 2500 of some level Symetre, sahara, etc.. to be honest I don't usually close the bail by hand, and that may be the issue. I have fluorocarbon on most of them now. I actually just bought some of that Reel Magic I think it's called to help with the memory of the flouro, should I use it on the braid as well? When I did use the Braid before I had a 8 or 10 pound 10 ft leader...

Thanks!

Manxfishing

I have 5 spinning reels with braid
There all Stradic 2500's with #10 832 suffix and a #10 fluro leader

Once or twice in 3 years I've had the braid knot up
I'd say it's just one of those days when with the weather, wind and planets all in line up and you get screwed.
So I'd rather take my chances with the braid over the Fluro any day

Plus if you put the backing line on right. You can spool 2 reals from a box of braid

Waterfoul

Big fan of Power Pro.  I pretty much run 15 lb on all my spinning reels.  Not the new Super Slick though... I've found it cuts thru the floro leader easier than the standard stuff.  15 lb more closely matches the diameter of the 8 lb P-Line leader I normally throw, and that's important when tying the double uni-knot.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

20 lb power pro has a 6 lb. diameter. I have found going to a lower poundage braid the line is so small it buries too easily and with "knot" up more. Going to 20 pound with the important 6 lb. diameter seems to help.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

With a spinning reel and any line, you'll get less line problems if you close the bail by hand and pull the line tight just ahead of the reel before working your lure.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

i got a bunch of 8lb stren performance braid for a 1$ a spool at overstockbait.com like 2 years ago. The stuff on my primary spinning rod is 2 seasons old now and still works great. much limper than standard power pro. Never broken it on a fish or snag, insanely strong for being "8lb" and casts forever.  i've been very happy with it for the dollar i paid lol. like it better than the power pro i typically use anyway.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

I like PowerPro in general.  I use regular and the super slick.  I super slick casts further but I don't think it holds up and well as the original.  I have also found the slick stuff ties in knots a little too easy, meaning to get the random loop knot  in the middle of the line.  Both the regular and slick stuff are strong and worth the money.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Frank

I agree with all this especially for heavier line and leaders.   if you're only using 20 or less use fire line crystal.   it doesn't with with a flouro leader though

Grinny

Thanks guys, I picked up some 20 pound Power Pro on Saturday and put it on 2 of my spinning reels. It works like a champ, so far so good, no knots like before. I think I was using 8lb before and that is what gave me the problems.

I remember what I loved with the braid how you can feel every head shake after you feel that "donk" and a fish is on!

Rangerman

As stated above closing the bail by hand has a lot to do with it, but in the wind using a jerk or a slack line bait, wind knots are going to happen >:( The over size spools help also.