Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Severe Exhaustion and other issues

Started by Mojo, July 28, 2013, 11:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Hi guys, need everyone's help, experiences, and input (serious):

After battling LSC or Erie all day, I'm experiencing severe exhaustion, dizziness, sore neck and shoulders, sinuses swollen, eyes sensitive,  on the evening when I come home from tournaments.  Next day Im exhausted, eyes tired, neck and head and shoulders sore.

i eat a sandwich, and drink 1 - 2 gatorades when im out, but is that enough?

My question is: anyone else get this exhausted,  what do you do to help it, and then open discussion about anyone else's issues they get after a tournament.

Thank in advance for being thoughtful in your response.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

gmetime24

I find that on long days if I only drink Gatorade I end up with a headache near the end of the day. I started taking out only one sports drink and drinking 3 or 4 bottles of water throughout the day. Also in the morning I go for a good amount of fruit and try to pack some grapes and apples for out on the water

Got Fish??

Hay old  man, it may be more then  exhaustion. Sometimes a trip to your Doctor may be  a good idea! As we get older we change.

dartag

Amen on the old man part.  I am there  Dehydration could be part of it.   I have started taking a gallon jug of water withe on long days.  I add a little sports drink for flavor.  The gallon helps me keep track of what I have consumed.   Hope you get it figured out

Big dreams

Sounds like too much sun.  You wear sunscreen?

TimH

I have recently found that if you have a good/big breakfast before you go out, you will sustain the day better.  I used to be the stereotypical bass guy that would grab a gas station breakfast sandwich on the way to the ramp, but a slight health scare forced me to change my ways a little bit.
When I plan on being out all day or if I am fishing a tourney, I now get up an hour earlier than I usually would so I can stop and get breakfast at a local 24 family restaurant. At first I thought that the loss of another hour of sleep would be brutal, but it really wasn't that bad. Here is an example of a typical routine I have followed that really seems to make a big difference in how I feel after a tournament.
The day before, I make it a point to eat really healthy. This just seems to set things up for feeling better the next day.  I try and get to bed early, but even if I do, I find myself with with a case of "Tournament Sleep Syndrome." I'm not sure if you experience it, but no matter how tired I am, I usually can't sleep because my mind is racing a 100 MPH thinking about my first spot, weather conditions, patterns that might work, etc.
If the tournament starts at six, I am up and out of the house by 3:30AM.  I stop and eat a good hearty breakfast, usually a omelet with turkey and broccoli.  I will warn you, as good as the breakfast is, there are some real interesting characters out at 3:30AM, so make sure you park your truck and boat close to a window at the restaurant so you can watch your stuff while you eat.
While the good breakfast makes a big difference, I still always take a protein shake and two protein bars for when I am out on the water. You can eat/drink them real quick and you get a lot more out of them then you would a sandwich.  I also take one small Gatorade, but mainly stick to water, lots of it.
One last thing I have found that makes a difference in how I feel throughout the day, is to cut out any energy drinks.  I used drink a large Red Bull or Monster before a long day on the water, but I found that the way I felt later in the day, did not even come close to compensating for the temporary boost it gave me in the morning.
Sorry for the long and detailed response, but this is what I have found works best for me.

Skulley

TimH has pretty much told you how to solve your dilemma but the advise Got Fish?? gave you is probably some very good advise. If you haven't had an issue before and you do now, you should really see your Doctor. As you grow older and your body changes, you really need to find out "how come??" Time for a physical exam, especially if you hit a milestone age like 40 or 50. This is the window when you may need bifocals or your metabolism changes. This is a time when you could become a diabetic. I had the same symptoms you're describing when I found out I was type 2. Now I have the right food on board and I make sure I eat a good breakfast daily when I take my meds. As long as I follow my daily routine, no problem. On the other hand, it could be nothing more than dehydration, however maybe not. As you grow older, your body can not take the abuse. Take care of it. It's the only one you get. Good luck.

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Lightningboy

I read your description of how you feel, and have several thoughts:

1) You always need more fluid than you think you do.  Gatoraide is great, as you will lose potasium & sodium as you sweat.  Doesn't need to be all sports drinks, a couple along with lots of water is the best plan.  Basic rule on hydration is if you aren't needing to pee, you are dehydrated.  Even if you're not thirsty.  In fact, by the time you feel thirsty, you're already getting dehydrated.

2) Energy drinks like Red Bull are fine, but don't substitute them for hydration.  In an all day TX, I drink one 8 oz. red bull on the way to the ramp, and another around 11 am.  If you drink too much caffiene, you will increase your dehydration.  Caffiene is a diuretic.

3) You burn more calories than you think fishing.  A good breakfast is a must, along with food throughout the day.  Fruit, sandwiches, granola bars, even a couple candy bars will help.

4) The sore neck & shoulders is probably postural.  I have a habit of "hunching" over a bit when I fish, almost as if I'm preparing to set the hook.  It took me a lot of self reminders to stand up straight and relax.  However, it could be a disk problem in your neck also.  Depending on your age, might be a good thing to get checked out.  I ended up having a laminectomy at 48 because of two bad disks in my neck.

5) You describe having sinus issues along with tired/sore eyes.  Eye strain could be simply bad or no sun glasses, but the sinus problems along with the eye strain usually points to an allergy problem.

Lastly, what kind of physical shape are you in?  As an x-ray tech on the floor every day, I was in pretty good shape, as it's a pretty physical job.  But now I've been riding a desk for the last 14 years, and need to work out to keep up my stamina. 

It's funny, but when I tell people I'm tired from fishing, they look at me sideways.  But times of the year I'm on a crank bite, it's the equivalent of going to the batting cage for 8 hours.

Bottom line, we'd like to keep you around for a while... :)

YpsiBass

Thank God for my diabetes or I never would have bothered to get in shape.  Working out a couple times a week with strength training and cardio has really helped me with long days of fishing.  Usually being in the back of someone's boat, I don't even need the chair anymore.  I assume you're doing stuff to stay in shape?  Also, all the other stuff everyone else said.

PineLk 49

Like L Boy says, posture is everything. Neck,back,shoulders,all the way to your hips are effected with posture. I finally threw my flip floppies away and started using good tennis shoes with good arch support and this has helped.

Not sure if you use a butt seat to lean on,but helps to relieve pressure on back and joints.

Do you have a recessed pan for your foot control? This will help keep everything in alignment.

I drink at least 1 bottle of water per hour. Usually take 10 with me and still only go a couple times all day.

I used to get headaches too. I switched to a different brand of glasses and it helped  a lot. I also put sun screen on ,once early and then noonish.

I get home after being gone 14 hours and my wife says " I suppose you are going to take a nap now".

Our sport is physically and very mentally challanging. My hat goes off to the guys that can do this for a living.

Aleve is my second best friend (my wife is 1st of course ;D). Give it a try. I know many fisherman that use it. Helps calm down the aches and pains

Doctor first, then try every ones advise. It is only a phone call away

Dave

djkimmel

I think you have all covered the important stuff really good. Bass tournament anglers below some of the very top anglers seem to be terrible at taking care of themselves. Don't eat right. Definitely don't drink enough water. Don't get enough sleep.

Tournament fishing, especially on the Great Lakes, is very physically and mentally straining. Prepare for it like you would a championship chess game played against a good, big defensive football team and you are off to a decent start.

Have to have good, quality eye protection. After a week of sightfishing it would take me several days to stop seeing things 'swimming' in front of my eyes. Definitely gone too far if your eyes start twitching and jumping around on their own.

It's okay sometimes to even take a short break on the water. I've seen more than a few people make use of this at key times.

This thread brings back the memories of all those nights laying in bed after a long day(s) on one of the big lakes and the bed is 'going up and down' like I'm still on those big rollers... how many times have I jerked myself awake setting the hook on a bass that wasn't actually there too...?? :D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/diet-secrets-elites

From the articles I read, it is not carbos that you need to recover, but protein.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Mojo

Gosh - I hope you guys are this caring and take me out on Erie coming up for my birthday this Aug. 11th lol.  :o

Serious, I'm thankful for your heartfelt input. I'm going in to see a Nuorologist, and will start wearing a neck brace. But most important, I'm taking all this advice and incorporating them into a new routine. I hope this helps a lot of folks besides just me.

Frank

Mojo is in great shape,  has good posture fishing, pees  every 2 hours lol.  I really think it's long drives as a co  angler,  bouncing around on the waves.   it's pretty serious and needs a doctor.   if you want,  take my boat on Elizabeth fir 8 hours and see how you feel

djkimmel

I used to love it every time I fished a 'big' lake somewhere down South and my non-boater/co-angler would get in the boat saying, "you know, it can get pretty rough here..."

Put a smile on my face every time while I'm thinking, 'brother, you have no idea...'

I've rode the mountains and lived to tell about it... and I'm not going back while there are small lakes with smaller waves nearby... :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

FishermanJohn

A little late to the discussion, but I have to chime in.  Some excellent tips (I really like the Bassmaster link that Dan posted, too)

*Disclaimer - I am a physician but this is no substitute for "real" medical advice*

1). See your doctor regularly - things like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. can easily go unnoticed for years before they are diagnosed.

2). Pre-hydrate!  If you start drinking water after you get on the water, it's too late.  I drink several liters of water the day/evening before, another liter on the way to the ramp, and several more liters throughout the day.  You lose more water thank you think out there.

3). Eat regularly - Get a good breakfast in you and keep eating through the day. I like a mix of PB&J, fresh fruit, trail mix with granola, raisins, and almonds.  You want a mix of protein (helps keep your metabolism up and your exercising muscles need it), fat, and carbs to keep you going.

4). Avoid caffeine and energy drinks.  They are diuretics and you will lose water.  Avoid drinking more than 1 or 2 Gatorades - yes, you lose electrolytes in your sweat but on a hot day, you will lose far more water - see tip #2

5). Exercise!  Not just regular physical exercise which keeps you in shape, but I warm up the night before and morning of fishing with some back flexibility and rotator cuff stretching.  Mojo, in your case, your doctor may recommend some neck stretches and exercise.

6). Watch your posture on the boat - Stand/sit up straight like your mama said!  You can easily get stiff and muscle spasms from hunching over. A good pair of shoes with a solid sole will help you, too.

7). Don't forget a good pair of polarized lenses - I wear prescription glasses, but make sure you pick out a good sturdy pair that covers your entire field of vision, has anti-glare coating, and is dark enough to cut the harsh reflections.  They help a TON with sight fishing, too.

8). Sunscreen and sun protection.  I'm not as good with this as I should be, but wear sun screen, re-apply, and if you can, wear a lightweight long-sleeve shirt or similar.

9). Take a break - take your eyes off the water's glare.  Drink some more water.  Eat a snack. Take your mind off the fish for a few minutes.  Sit down and give your muscles a break.  Even 5 minutes can go a long way to clear the mind and refresh the body.

Mojo

Gentlemen, here are the results of all your inputs.

Last week Saturday I put in 10 hours in the river , and did CFB Sunday - with none of the preparations you guys mentioned. Monday thru Wednesday I was in a daze. I posted on the 28th and this site, the GLB site may have saved my sport. Nowhere on the internet could I find the detailed support like you guys provided. Nowhere, and no one. Today everyone of you- gmetime24, Gotfish?, dartag, big dreams, TimH, UAWBigdog, Lightningboy, Ypsibass, Pinelake49, DK (himself), Dan, Frank, FishermanJohn, - are heroes and friends to me.

Here's what I changed in 1 week:

I already have costas with sealing blockers. I already where a long sleeve shirt and spray
100 SPF. I  started taking vitamins, double dose to get started, now once a day Centrum. I know my body is using them cause my pee isn't bright yellow, so im absorbing them.

I take and fill a 128 oZ water and fill it 1/3 ish with gaterade. Drank it all on Thursday during practice and again on Saturday for the BFL (currently 5th in the standings I might add lol!!!). I ate like a huge breakfast sandwich and bagel driving up ( gotta work on that getting up early to eat part ) and packed 4 PBJ sandwiches and a ton of fruit.  Notice - NO COFFEE - I took 2 Aleve before and 2 Aleve after. I believe I was feeling muscle pain and tightness and was compensating with poor posture.  I also notice EVERY cast I was tensed up for hook set. That will be tough to break. How can you not ?

So I came home after Thursday and yesterday and slathered Aspercreme all over my back, neck and dug it deep into my skull basal area. Oh the Burnnnnnn! Then I slept 10 hours.

I woke up this morning completely alive. I'm not dead ! I'm not dazed, glassy eyed. I'm coherent and I'm not slurring. I can't tell you how scary that was.  Also - this is a big deal- I informed both my boaters I had a neck issue, Thank you Mike and Don for taking it easy out there. That made a huge difference! Thank you to everyone.

Now I just need you guys to tell where all the 4-5 lbrs are grouped up on LSC !!!!!

djkimmel

I am theorizing this year related to your last 'problem' that all the 4 and 5 pounders on St. Clair are not grouped up (yet?) but more scattered and many anglers are fishing 'last year' or the year before. Each year for a while now, and even several times throughout the year, St. Clair changes. I don't know all the reasons and again am mostly theorizing, but the better anglers go find where the fish actually are today, this week, etc., rather than try to make the fish be where us anglers think the fish should be.

As far as all the rest, I'm glad to see the GreatLakesBass.com community seems to be helping you make some progress. I'm awarding FishermanJohn the 'post of the week' prize on Sunday! :)

bassinman#1

I eat a good portion of oatmeal, the old fashion kind not the quick, with brown sugar and real butter topped off with milk. Let me tell you, it gives you energy all day!