Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Batteries and what we hook up to what?

Started by Kal-Kevin, July 23, 2013, 11:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kal-Kevin

Okay got to get a new battery for my big motor and I have heard a few things lately but since they are from salesmen I wonder what is true. Right now everything is hooked up to the battery that starts the big motor except for the trolling motor. I have not had any issues in the past with this set up so I was thinking of leaving it that way but the salesmen said everything should be hooked to the trolling battery and only the big motor by itself. I also heard that if I hook up the fish finder up to the battery that the trolling motor is hooked to it can make the fish finder act up.

I run an old tracker so it is a basic set up nothing fancy what would you do?

Thanks

BIGSHOW

Thats a good question. I had the lowrance on the main battery and had two issues. Not sure if their related. One was when I used the charger plug in my dash my fish finder died. Not sure if it was just its time but it didn't work after that. They traded me up to a current model HDS-5. Then when I had the lowrance turned on my RPM's would sometimes run higher on the meter by about 1000. Just the reading, it didn't rev any higher. Always wondered about the battery..

Waterfoul

If you have room for a group 27 I know the perfect battery.  High reserve starting battery made by East Penn, marketed by Deka.  Due to some restrictions you'll have to call me for details.  616- 954 -9822  I'm there till 3:30 tomorrow.

Mike
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

The conventional way is just how your boat is now. Same way mine is. I've never had an issue. And, the batteries that Mike is talking about are fantastic. Call him.

thedude

that setup sound fine. if you run some of the bigger lcd graphs, its sometimes recommended to have a dedicated battery for the graphs. I always carry jumper cables in case i drain my battery and can then jump it from a trolling motor battery and let the big motor put some charge on it.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

BIGSHOW

Lightningboy

TM on it's own battery is right, as you will get interference if the electronics are hooked with it.

If you've got more than 4 items hooked to the starter battery, it's a good idea to run the accessories to a power distribution block wired to the starter battery.  Multiple rings on a battery post can lead to poor conduction from bad contact/corrosion.

Keep the posts & terminals clean, and coat with bulb grease.  You can get it at any auto store in small packs.

Small jumper cables are a good idea, I've run down my starter batt. by running my pumps all day & not needing to change spots.

I'm running Deka's for my TM.  Three years old, and still going strong.  Good batteries in my book.

BIGSHOW

Some people cut corners and get cheap batteries that balance out on price in the long run. But all it takes to make a bad day on the lake is to have your battery die at the wrong time. Deka is my choice. And isn't to much more than the cheap ones In my findings..