Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Shimano or lews?

Started by Wolfie729, July 23, 2013, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

Ok I own a Lews speed spool and its ok, but a friend of mine has an older citica that I love casts further seems smoother they are both relatively the same set ups what do ya'll like better and why? Hoping and thinking my wife got me a citica for my birthday which is 3 weeks away! :o

motocross269

I have been a Shimano guy since the late 80s.....As a matter of fact I still have some old Speedmaster Shimanos from the early 90s...
For me it is just about familiarity and Shimano hasn't let me down so that is what I stick with....

I have heard that Lews are good reels and my friends that are Daiwa users swear by those...I think it is like the Chevy vs Ford debate, it is all about what works for you.....

If you want to try US made Ardent reels are good...I have a couple that I have been playing with and they perform well but I am not ready to give up Shimano yet...

Hooksetter

Up until a few months ago I only used Shimano Chronarchs, the older gold ones. Love 'em, absolutely no issues ever. Based on the positive comments posted here I bought a couple of Lews tournament speed spools the last time BTD ran a 25% off sale and so far I am extremely happy with them. Smooth, light and very easy to cast. Very comparable to the Shimano's, at less than half the price of my Chronarch's. I will be buying a few more.

I fished the Chronarch's hard for 10 plus years with absolutely zero issues. They still work perfect today. Hopefully the Lew's will hold up as well.

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

customfishn

I will trade a Shimano Core for a less expensive Lews.   I have mostly Lews now and will never go back!

BIGSHOW

I'm kinda new to the baitcaster thing. I was never comfortable with them till I tried the left hand version. So I bought a couple of lews BB1 reels LH and love them. I need to play with the brake settings some more and I will probably like them more. Cast a mile, well maybe 1/2 mile. Some reels are hard to find a LH

mikesmiph

Been a Shimano guy for many years and with all the new stuff that came out this year, I'll be a Shimano guy for years to come.

thedude

i've switched to mostly lews as well. I ultimately ditched the company when they started producing bargain bin junk for their low-end reels. 20 some years ago, a 30$ shimano spinning reel would last, basically, forever. That is why i used to like them. Now they just sell the same garbage zebco or shakespere make that is usually broken out of the package. Not that i'm saying i would recommend basement level reels to someone who is going to be bass fishing - nor is there an apples to apples quality comparison between the low end and the middle to high-end - but i think its an accurate depiction of how the company's view of its customers has changed over the years.  I've never cared much for the inflated price of shimano. Kind of like Cadillac or Ranger boats - a 20% surcharge for the trademarked company logo which is printed on the product.

The lews Tournament speed spool might be the best deal in a quality baitcaster on the market, and by a pretty significant margin - i've been able to pic up most of mine for $115 or less new and i've bought 7 of them in the last 2 years. If you are looking for a deep cranking reel try the bb1, it casts heavier baits a freaking mile.

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

gr@ssmonkey

buy a revo and a ranger and u won't have to ask ? like this on the internet..........lews suck......it will come out in the coming years mark my words........abu or shimano there is nothing else!!!!!!

bob o

Quote from: thedude on July 24, 2013, 09:11:46 AM
i've switched to mostly lews as well. I ultimately ditched the company when they started producing bargain bin junk for their low-end reels. 20 some years ago, a 30$ shimano spinning reel would last, basically, forever. That is why i used to like them. Now they just sell the same garbage zebco or shakespere make that is usually broken out of the package. Not that i'm saying i would recommend basement level reels to someone who is going to be bass fishing - nor is there an apples to apples quality comparison between the low end and the middle to high-end - but i think its an accurate depiction of how the company's view of its customers has changed over the years.  I've never cared much for the inflated price of shimano. Kind of like Cadillac or Ranger boats - a 20% surcharge for the trademarked company logo which is printed on the product.

The lews Tournament speed spool might be the best deal in a quality baitcaster on the market, and by a pretty significant margin - i've been able to pic up most of mine for $115 or less new and i've bought 7 of them in the last 2 years. If you are looking for a deep cranking reel try the bb1, it casts heavier baits a freaking mile.

This...+1

MSURoss

Big dreams

Lews BY FAR!  They are amazing.  Once you get use to setting the breaks, you are good to go.  The BB1 goes for 150 online.  To me, they are better than the 300 reels I use to buy from Quantum.  I need a Team Lews sticker for my truck and boat!

Manxfishing

Well I own all Shimano's

Lews would seem like a bargin. Only time will tell if they hold up
I can tell you that the Shimano's that i own have held up very well

BIGSHOW

Like Hooksetter said. When BTD runs their 25% deal stock up. Then it really makes it a GREAT reel.

customfishn

Quote from: gr@ssmonkey on July 24, 2013, 10:42:38 AM
buy a revo and a ranger and u won't have to ask ? like this on the internet..........lews suck......it will come out in the coming years mark my words........abu or shimano there is nothing else!!!!!!
Strong words!  Junk?  I think there are a lot of junk reels out there but Lews is not one of them.  You like that revo?  Well that low profile design came from Lews.  I am pretty hard on my reels and Lews has held up and I have never had to retire a Lews reel in 5 years. 

thedude

i like revos, i've been a loyalist to them for some time. I got 2 of the gen 3 sx and not really that thrilled with them. the lews are better quality out of the box. I will say that Gen 2 or Gen 1 SXs are bulletproof, but the new ones just don't feel very smooth. lots of gear noise seems like.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

I understand the Lews were recently recreated and redone, and I've heard pretty good things about them from serious bass anglers. I don't have any to try. I haven't bought a new reel in a while but I almost never spend over $100 for a reel so I'm always looking for the better quality 'middle' level reels - the ones that are 'underpriced' and 'over-performing.'

Not sure how many brands I have right now but it must be 7 or 8. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone who prefers to pick up the same feel and behavior, something Rick Clunn has been (or was?) outspoken about for many years, going so far as to use all the same rod and reel for most things.

I only have one Shimano - someone gifted it to me last spring. They are a quality reel with a great reputation and an excellent marketing job. Just normally out of my price range.

Reels are similar to so many other products we use - sometimes many brands are made in the same factory by the same people. Sometimes some models are made in one place while others are made in another place. That can change year-to-year, or every so many years. I think that can account for some of the variability in how reels hold up for different people.

I have a few reels that I paid less, or much less, than $100 that still work well even 20+ years later. I buy other reels once in a while that maybe only last one fishing trip. Like everyone else, I try to key in on models and years that seem to hold up a lot better for whatever reason.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

One other thing, I'm not real patient or good at taking reels apart and getting them back together again like some of you may be.

I had a few reels I sent to a good repair person near Lake St. Clair years ago including an inexpensive Quantum Iron I bought on sale when the need and budget intersected. I told him not to hurry on the reels, particularly the Iron, because I wasn't using them much - more as backups.

The Iron was a pain in the butt to cast. It was either tightened to the point where it wouldn't cast half as far as other reels, or loosened enough that it would backlash like crazy with no inbetween.

The now deceased repair man told me he'd 'tune it' for me and I'd want to use it again.

Wish I knew his 'secret' because when I got that reel back it would cast like a $200 Shimano!!! If you can find a good repair person who knows how to tune casting reels, or you have the patience to try some of the Internet tips, I highly recommend you do that as your first step with a new reel, especially any 'bargain' reels. If there was more to the Iron then there is, I'd think he just put the Iron case around the innards of something top end as a favor! It made that much difference!

Like many 'artists' he wasn't real eager to share his trade secrets. I imagine there are other repair persons out there who can accomplish similar results. I just don't know who they are right now?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I've owned both Lew's and Shimano reels. I prefer Lew's. I have had issues with every Shimano I've ever owned. Everytime I've had issues with Shimano reels is when I've really needed them to perform. They've failed me and it has cost me money at the weigh-in. Ill never recommend that Company to anyone. Their customer service was terrible.

BD.               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

fishstick

I've been fishing Lew's for 3 years now and they get used a lot. I have yet to have any issues with them, some of them have been married to a flipping stick with the drag tightened all the way for that whole time. Looking forward to the new spinning reels that came out at ICAST!

PineLk 49

Quote from: gr@ssmonkey on July 24, 2013, 10:42:38 AM

WOW!!!  Get right to the point brother.

About four years ago Ryan Said turned me on to Lews reel. They will cast a mile, are very smooth and with in my budget. I have four speed spools and couldnt be happier.

Lews for President ;D

Dave