Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Traverse Bay Ramps?

Started by bmck25, July 21, 2013, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How dumb was I for selecting poll when all I wanted to do was post?

You make Jim Carey look like Stephen hawk
1 (50%)
You may not be Harvard material, but at least your post is legible.
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: August 15, 2013, 02:38:33 PM

bmck25

Hey guys,

I am going to be taking my family up to Long lake near traverse city next week. Last year I never fished the bays, but I am going to try to this year. I have never been and was wonder if you guys could point me in the direction of a couple good ramps. I was thinking I would probably fish west bay since I will be on that side of traverse city. Will I need any special permits or launch fees there? I am a little nervous about the bay also. I have plenty of experience on Erie and St Clair so I have been in some big water, but I just don't know how to predict the bays. Any good wave forecast sites like NOAA?

Also, can you guys help me with Duck and Green? Where are the ramps there? Any permits needed?

Oops, that's what happens when you are posting from a phone.

skeeter6217

motocross269

Green and Duck lake both have MIDNR ramps on them...Both pretty good ones if memory serves me correctly...I think they are both located in the State Campgrounds also but it has been a couple of years...

Can't really help you with launches in GTB.....I have only launched out of Elk Rapids...As far as driving on the bays it really isn't much different then LSC and Erie. You need to check NOAA reports before you launch(I think Dan has them linked on his home page) and you need to be aware of changing conditions...A wind out of the North can get rough if you are out around Mission point...

Dan

Turning left downtown and heading around West Bay, go past the Speedway and there will be a local ramp right across from the Marathon Station. It has a $5 or so launch fee. Very nice ramp. There is also the ramp on the peninsula for East Bay. Duck has a launch in the State Park. Duck is the lake at Interlochen that is on the East side of the road. There is a very small ramp on the east side of Green Lake in the rustic camping area. There is another DNR Ramp on the west side of Green. Take the road that divides the two lakes south to just before the little store in Karlin. You can go around to the west side of the lake to access the West Side ramp which is much bigger. If you get to the store in Karlin you went just a tad bit too far. That store has some great deli food. The restaurant next door to it isn't bad either.
There is also a nice ramp at the Whitewater Campground near Elk Rapids that accesses Elk. The launch at Whitewater is very nice and is straight across from the opening to Skegmog.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bmck25

Thank you everyone. Dan, are the ramps you mentioned protected from the waves? I am going to be fishing by myself and it would be bad if the waves kicked up and I had to load the boat alone.

djkimmel

Go to www.greatlakesbass.com/weather for links for just about everything Great Lakes weather, weather buoys, lake levels, satellite images, you name it - around the entire Great Lakes system.

I've noticed the government has switched a few links on me. I'll get them corrected. But most of the links work fine. I use them every week.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

PS: Your post ends up more entertaining this way... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

The West Bay ramp is in a marina protected by a large outer break wall. The peninsula is just protected from a west wind.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bmck25

Well, we are here. Weather could be better, but I'm not complaining. Glad to be here even if it is cold and rainy. I did manage to make it out for about an hour today on Long lake. I found a few largemouth, but no smallies. Still hoping to make it to the bay, but might skip it for Duck and Green instead.

bmck25

I didn't make it to the bay. I just couldn't fit it in. One week is not enough time. I did fish a few different inland lakes though. Unfortunately I never found the big smallmouth. It wasn't all bad though. The largemouth, walleye, and pike were cooperative. My wife and I may make a weekend trip back up this fall. Not sure if I will take the boat.