Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's up with Detroit River 55 mph notice?

Started by djkimmel, July 16, 2013, 02:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Anyone up on what is behind the information coming out from FLW Outdoors about the 55 mph speed limit on the Detroit River? I just heard about it today since I'm out of the direct tournament fishing loop.

It is true that the State of Michigan water speed limit on inland lakes and within 1 mile of shore on the Great Lakes is 55 mph unless posted as lower. The Michigan water speed limit is unlimited more than 1 mile offshore on the Great Lakes.

I'm just wondering why now after all these years (and all those cigar and other speed boats)? I could try to call someone I guess but it seems like there is usually someone reading on here who knows or has heard something. That is how I usually find out.

Don't ask me what the Canadian speed limit is on the water. I can't remember and don't want to try to look it up as long as I don't have to. It is probably already posted somewhere on here. I always want to remind people to double-check anything you find posted on a website anywhere with the actual official source for laws and regulations for the area, state, province, country you are fishing and boating in. It is subject to change, AND subject to someone just repeating what their buddy/relative/friend told them who also really has no idea if it is right or not because he was just told by a buddy/relative/friend.

Good luck and be safe. We don't always have to try to be the fastest person on the water. It's the person who catches the most weight who wins and sometimes that person doesn't run all that far or fast.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Never heard that
But then agian, I thought it was lower then 55 mph
(I looked it up. It's 55 within 1 mile or posted as you said)

There's allot of no wake in the river that people should be aware of

Team houston

I can tell you first hand most boats were going over 55 in the BFL.

djkimmel

Lots of boats go over 55 mph on the Great Lakes and connecting waters. This was a message that just came out from FLW for the upcoming EverStart Series event participants.

The no wake regulations are confusing enough and the minimal, haphazard enforcement doesn't help (along with the 'special' local interpretation of powerloading). I'm just wondering why they suddenly had to announce this? Something must have caused it?

Of course, since boat traffic in general is way down on the Lake St. Clair compared to the glory days (of 'cheap' gas) organized bass tournaments make an even more attractive target... Now if they would just solve the problem of the occasional lines of tuna boats who believe just because their 'leader' can't turn to go around a pod of boats that they all also have to follow their 'leader' one right after the other through the fishing boats at medium-fast plow... my shoes would stay much dryer!

C'mon tuna boaters. Use the channel. Or at least use your steering wheel for something other than hanging on. It's round so you can easily TURN it!! ;D sheesh

I wonder what does more damage? A bass boat's wake at 65-70 or a tuna boat's wake at medium-fast plow? I don't know... let's ask my shoes?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

PS: To bass boat type boaters - the East / right side of Peche Island is 5 knots (10km/h) not as fast as you can go. The West / left side of Belle Isle is NO WAKE, NOT a shortcut. Please stop making it harder on the rest of us by breaking obvious laws that you know we will ALL get blamed for. Thank you.

Team houston

Dan they did announce it at the BFL meeting. "speed limit is 55 mph on the Detroit River"

spinnerbation

Quote from: Team houston on July 17, 2013, 06:50:28 AM
Dan they did announce it at the BFL meeting. "speed limit is 55 mph on the Detroit River"

I didn't make the meeting, so I am not sure if it was mentioned there. But I am sure they mentioned it over the megaphone the morning of the tournament just before blastoff.

motocross269

I got a few emails from FLW this week...One was that they were looking for volunteers for the College regional...

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone from Law enforcement put a bug in FLWs ear on the speed limit...FLW is probably just sending out a friendly reminder...Basically saying "we told you so..".

I was just south of the Miracle mile last spring..It was a little rough and I was only running about 45 mph...A contigent of Cigarrette boats went by me like I was sitting still..They had to be pushing 80MPH...

djkimmel

No one had mentioned they also announced 55mph at the BFL. The person who contacted me first is only fishing the EverStart. Someone (probably Monroe Co. Sheriff?) must have said something. I sure haven't ever seen them pulling over speed boats for speeding... ::)

They can go any speed they want as long as they are more than 1 mile from shore on the Great Lakes in Michigan waters. ALL boaters are still required to avoid collision and responsible for any harm or damage their wake causes. (Wouldn't it be nice to get a check each year from some tuna boat society for the damage they do to all our small boats?)

djkimmel

I would be pretty happy if everyone in a bass boat at least quit running on plane in the mornings through shore-to-shore no wake zones. We don't need that. We all 'look alike.'