Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

**UPDATED** June 10, 2006 Burt/Mullett BFL Info for participants

Started by djkimmel, January 18, 2006, 11:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOWD

I spoke to the FLW on Monday, 43 boaters signed up, 23 non boaters on the waiting list.
For the Stren Event on Erie. 153 boaters with 120 nonboaters signed up.

I believe I will be skipping the Burt Mullet event, due to the fact it would be a bad business decision to spend the 5 to 6 hundred dollars with a 50 to 75 boat field.
I fish to win money, I could care less about the regionals.

dartag

did they give you numbers for the st-clair and detroit river BFL..   going to be interesting to see how many they get...

DOWD

St Clair on opening day had 23 boaters signed up and I cant remember the non boaters. With gas prices, I cannot believe they will have more then 100 boats, but I hope I am wrong.

djkimmel

Only a so-so indicator of the final numbers for BFL event in Michigan. We've never been real big on entering early consistently because we have never filled up like other states. A large number of anglers enter in the last few weeks for every event.

I wouldn't compare BFL numbers to a Stren event. They are two different animals attracting different kinds of anglers. You have plenty of anglers who will travel 5 to 10 or more hours for a Stren event because they are interested in a higher level of competition including interest in being pro anglers. Stren Series events have filled up before so anglers will tend to get in them earlier to make sure they get a spot.

The point is FLW already KNOWS that having all the events on St. Clair/Erie does NOT work. Regardless of how this event ends up (and I expect around 100 boats or more unless gas prices keep staying up - that is the main reason I have heard from guys cutting back on all tournaments), BFL will NOT go back to all events on St. Clair/Erie. They will just try more on the West side, Saginaw Bay and/or up North.

If you like prefer to fish all Erie because it is close to you, good for you, but FLW has to try stuff that makes enough anglers happy to have consistent good draws and they already know that doesn't happen with all St. Clair/Erie. There are plenty of other anglers who would fish BFL with some variety and FLW staff will keep trying different things until they find what works best.

I really appreciate that FLW staff is willing to try different lakes to see what will get more anglers out fishing while opening them up to more interest for larger events, because that is the best way we will get more and larger tournaments in Michigan - which is good in the end for everyone for quite a few positive reasons.

I'm going to give it a chance and support it because I do like the regionals, and I like more and larger tournaments in Michigan. I also like variety in a circuit so it doesn't only favor most the anglers who live closest to certain waters and therefore can fish them more often.

This is also very important to me: I think that we need to win over more communities to the value of supporting tournaments if we want to continue to grow in Michigan. There are enough people who don't like tournaments and enough who wouldn't mind them going away to be concerned. We will not get much support in the very SE from communities because of everything else that goes on already in those areas - that is what is keeping us from having more national events on Erie and St. Clair.

But the central, Western and Northern communities are still very possible supporters because we stick out better as a major influx of money into their communities. That is where our true growth for more and larger events exists best, and therefore our best chance at increasing our legitimacy with the overall population as a respectable and accepted sport.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MBell

Thanks for the numbers Dowd.  I also couldn't care less about the regionals in the BFL, too many people qualify.  I'm looking at fishing the burt/mullet just because it's an awesom fishery and it's a good excuse to take a few days up there. 
-Matt   

Team houston

Fishing in a regional is no big deal, but making the ALL American is AWESOME. Just ask Dan. You can only make the All American by fishing a regional. Thats why I keep fishing them

NEOFISH

Another Northern tournament next year?? This is reckless and stupid!? With out advanced promotion by FLW and the local chamber of commerce these northern events are going to be a hopeless failure.? This is FLW arrogance!? A BFL event it not a big league tournament where you can just name a lake, a date, and have 200 boats show-up.? The BFL is a grass roots tournament trail and it needs to be grown.? ?The Burt/Mullet? tournament should have had an advance promotion? such as the mailing of an information packet. This lets people know that they?re important!? FLW with all of its media power could have put together an article for the magazine. You need to tell people why they must be there!? Happy faces, beautiful scenery and pictures of those 5 and 6 pound smallies that are common in June.? Without being condescending you need to brag about the fabulous fishing that Burt/Mullet offers.? The chance that any angler of moderate skill could weigh-in a #20+ bag of bass.? In an earlier posting I said you need a five-year window to promote, educated, and grown interest in a fishery.? This is a long-term plan.? Skipping around to different lakes every year isn?t going to be a success and leaves you back at step one.? Worst of all it could become the tournament to skip each season.? The carrot and stick approach of dangling the regional and All-American as a reason to fish every event just isn?t enough for most people.

cameraguy

I've fished BFL in the past.? I love that they are going to Burt/Mullett.? The only thing that may keep me from going to fish it is time, or the lack of it.? I like to fish a variety of lakes and I like a circuit that allows the anglers to qualify for bigger tournaments down the road.?

Also, I don't think promotion has anything to do whether or not someone will fish Burt/Mullett.? I'm fairly confident that bass anglers who are willing to shell out $150 to compete in a bass tournament in this region are aware of the bass fisheries in northern Michigan.? It's all about money, time, and attitude.? To Dowd, the payout is just not worth the extra expense of traveling there (at least that's what I took from his comments).? That's reasonable.? To others though (like me), I consider the low end circuits to be kind of a pricey bowling league.? Sure I want to win, but I want to enjoy the experience, which includes surroundings, and a variety of challenges throughout the season.? I would be less apt to consider a circuit that has all of it's tournaments on LSC and Erie.? I just don't want to get physically beat up that much.? Plus, like I said, I enjoy variety.?

It's obviously a numbers game.? FLW is certainly not stupid or they wouldn't be as successful as they are.? They just try to figure out what will increase the number of anglers fishing each tournament.? So they probably experiment a little to find how to do just that.? Time will tell whether their choices will pan out, but "...stupid...", I don't think so.

NEOFISH

Promotion has every thing to do with the success of a tournament!? It?s the difference between 80 boats and a possible full field (200 boats).? Word needs to get out to the fisherman who don?t know about our Northern lakes. You can?t keep preaching to the choir! ?Imagine if Burt/Mullet where to draw a full 200 boat field?? ?Imagine what that would say!? Imagine how impressed local businesses, the chamber of commerce and most of all FLW would be to see a great turn out.? Such positive attention could lead to a FLW or Stren series tour event in the future.? I also grow tired of the beating that Erie and lake St Clair dish out both on the water and in traffic.? But I don?t want to see season openers with fewer than 100 boats.? ?

DOWD

I have set my mine to fish the Burt Mullet event at 70 boats. If I call the day before the late fee and they have 70 boats signed up, I will fish. I am making this decision based on busines, I fish as a business and not emotions. I fish to try to make money, and to help offeset the expense of owning a boat and equipment.
Seeing how Holiday Inn is paying for my hotel room, 70 boats is the break even point for my business venture, even with gas at 3.00. Hopefully they draw 100 plus boats, because I love catching those bedding bass that time of year.

cameraguy

Two hundred dollars is a lot of money to spend to enter a "local" bass tournament.? If an angler has the experience and confidence to spend that kind of money, plus expenses, to fish competitively then they are probably aware of the great bass fisheries up north.?

Promotion can always help any event, but I don't think that it's worth the expense for FLW Outdoors to heavily promote each tournament in every BFL division across the country.? They seem to rely on sending members and former participants a brochure and also rely on those who want to fish the circuit to promote it for them.? After all, if you want a bigger payout, then you will try to get more people to enter.? Dan does a good job on this site of making people aware of tournaments and giving information on the bodies of water where tournaments are located.?

Anglers fish tournaments for different reasons.? There all kinds of circuits trying to capitalize on that.? There are low-cost buddy tournaments, draw tournaments, etc.? BFL takes a fairly serious commitment of cash.? I find it hard to believe that anybody willing to spend the cash to fish BFL, doesn't already know about Burt/Mullett.? So, if somebody chooses not to fish Burt/Mullett it must be other reasons besides the lack of knowing the quality of the fishery.? One reason is some guys just don't want to enter a tournament held on a body of water they aren't that familiar with.? There are many more that I probably don't need to list right now.

Finally, I'm not sure why we need to have national tournaments up north.? Yeah, I know, the economic impact can be somewhat significant for the area for a few days, but I kind of like our quiet little corner of the world up there.? Plus, anytime there is a big tournament (50 boats+) up there, the locals are all up in arms about the noise, wakes in a no-wake, disturbing their loons, etc.? Oh well, people are always going to find something to complain about, I guess.

? ?

Team houston

Bear in mind first place at the Regional is a truck and boat. First place at the All American is $100,000. It is $2500 if you never catch a fish. The reasoning for a lot of people is "I cannot afford not to fish it"

rufus

I do it because it is what I LOVE to do, period. If I could afford to be traveling with the pros right now, that is what I would be doing (am I good enough? NOOO!). Right now, the BFL is what I can afford (not really, but I do anyway and Visa thanks me) so that is my route. I have been fortunate to make my expenses and a little more back the last two years I have fished it, but even if I hadn't I would still be their. I enjoy fishing against many of the best Michigan has to offer. I love the angler/coangler format. I have met some great guys and great fishermen. I have learned many things from my coanglers and have had very few bad experiences. I have made a lot of good friends the last two years. I am blessed to have a wife who lets me travel all over the place chasing the little green and brown fish. I don't care if there is 10 boats or 200 boats, I would still make the trip. The awesome lakes of Michigan are worth it. The competition drives me, but when it comes down to it, I just love to be out there figuring out and catching as many as I can, the money is simply a bonus. I will be doing it as long as it does not put my family in financial stress. I hope to see as many people as can make it to smallie heaven and am looking forward to the trip. God Bless and Good Fishin'
Rufus

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

Quote from: rufus on May 15, 2006, 01:31:28 PM
I do it because it is what I LOVE to do, period.

Well said!? I can't wait, it should be a blast!? Sure, it is more fun when there are 200 boats, but I will be there regardless!

Seth V

Team houston

Don't sell yourself short Heath. I believe you could give a lot of the big boys a run for their money. You always seem to figure a little something out.

NEOFISH

I?m disappointed to read that most fishermen here think of the Michigan BFL as a cozy little bass club. Oh seventy boats will be just fine!? Wouldn?t want too many!? With such apathy I can see why FLW doesn?t bother with promotion. They know there going to get somewhere near 100 boats on average and it?s pointless to expect much more of the fisherman in the Michigan division.

cameraguy

What kind of things are you expecting from FLW to promote the BFL?

djkimmel

Quote from: NEOFISH on May 15, 2006, 05:10:54 PM
I?m disappointed to read that most fishermen here think of the Michigan BFL as a cozy little bass club. Oh seventy boats will be just fine!? Wouldn?t want too many!? With such apathy I can see why FLW doesn?t bother with promotion. They know there going to get somewhere near 100 boats on average and it?s pointless to expect much more of the fisherman in the Michigan division.

I think you are coming across as overly harsh. I'm not sure why, but no one here sounds like they are saying what you are reading into. The point that should be obvious is that everyone has different/various expectations and reasons to fish or not to fish. That is always the challenge of putting on a circuit and trying to get the best draw that can be had. I also think everyone is pretty even in wanting to fish successful, clean and fair circuits too. We have had up to 192 boats in a Michigan BFL and averaged over 130 a few seasons ago. If you have promotional suggestions for Michigan, please call FLW Outdoors and share them.

I believe FLW Outdoors is trying to make the Michigan BFL a success. Anyone who is just upset because they won't hold all the tournaments where they want them too needs to remember again that this is a circuit for many anglers, not just those who want to just fish the same place every tournament.

FLW Outdoors tried all events on St. Clair/Erie already and it didn't work out well. You seem obviously unhappy about that and you have made your point. Other anglers here have made their points too.

This thread was started to provide information to those WHO DO WANT TO FISH this event. It has gotten long on discussions on the schedule likes and dislikes unrelated to information needed to fish the actual event.

I'm going to ask that any further discussion about the schedule, especially complaints, be done in new threads. This thread is to provide information to anglers who want to fish the Burt/Mullett event and need to know about the area, and specific services and locations.

The schedule is set and won't change this year. Only the final results will dictate whether moves were good or not, and what might happen in the coming seasons. I've always said if you aren't happy about something with a circuit, call the organizer up and tell them. They will listen, but will go with the apparent majority in the end whatever that ends up being. It's why FLW Outdoors does fish St. Clair, Detroit River, the Grand, and has not been back to Saginaw Bay in a while.

WAY TOO OFTEN, all these organizers such as FLW Outdoors hear are complaints. It is very refreshing and helpful when someone calls up and offers suggestions and ideas that show they have the same goal in mind - a successful tournament circuit with good draws. Good suggestions and help come from looking at the big picture, considering all the anglers and involved parties, listening to all sides and then making suggestions that seem to fit the best.

I've made many suggestions and sometimes they will say right away when one is not going to work. I listen to their reasons why and assume they are well thought out. FLW Outdoors is not just **deleted**footing around in the tournament world. I think they have a pretty good idea about how to make things happen, improve and generally know what they are doing. I also greatly appreciate that they call many anglers each season and ask their advice on issues with the 'local' circuit. Plenty of previous circuits have not done that.

NEOFISH

I'd love to fish at Burt/Mullet or any of the fine Northern Michigan lakes, but not if it's going to be a very small field.? I'm going to start a new thread as Dan has asked.? Look for "Growing the BFL in Michigan".? It may take a couple of days to get all my facts together but I'll be back soon.