Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

spinnerbaits & painted blades?

Started by smbassman, January 18, 2006, 11:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smbassman

I was wondering how many of you throw heavy spinnerbaits with painted blades and burn them for smallies?  I have a few different kinds and have always been partial to Terminators (other than the blades are very thin and bend easy), they do seem to produce more than others I have tried.  My problem with the painted blades of all brands I have tried is the paint never seems to last long before chipping off.  And this is with normal wear. 

Now if I accidentally catch the troller head on a underhand roll cast, that is usually the end of that bait all together with bent blades and no paint left.

I guess my question is - what brand and weight spinnerbaits do you throw and is chipped paint just something you must live with? 

Thanks!!!

dhuff

I fish all kinds of spinnerbaits with painted blades for them.  When they get chipped up I just simply touch them up with a little paint and stick them back in the box.

McCarter

I like the Terminators too.  If you email them they will send you out a whole box of blades.  You have to pay shipping, buts it was only 3 bucks or something like that.

I was having a problem with the swivels breaking off and the blades sinking to the bottom of the lake.  They took good care of me.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

fishon1219

All my painted blade baits are Pulsators, or strike king 's. When the paint gets chipped it just makes it easier for me to pick that bait back out of my box. I seem to catch more fish on the baits that have battle scars anyway.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

MBell

I use strike king mostly,they last a while.  Painted blades are cheap to buy, jannsnetcraft.com.  I don't use spinnerbaits too long, a few good fish and they break easily.  The terminators last longer but they still break.  If you add an epoxy or a few clear coast to you blades they will last longer, but may also act different.
-Matt 

Revtro

Gotta agree with the majority.  I use Terminators quite a bit and just replace blades by buying them in bulk.  I get mine from Gander Mountain.  However, I started using the Booyah spinnerbaits recently and look forward to giving them an honest chance this season. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Bulletproof

I'm a pulsator or picasso guy, imo probably the best quality spinnerbaits out there are these 2!  I usually throw 1/2 ouncers.  Ya the painted blades will definitely lose there aesthetics after  a good summer of fishing them, but i still crank fish on them.  Oddly enough I may of only picked up a spinnerbait rod a handful of times last year.  I always keep one rigged but hardly ever used it.  i like them in rough water/colored water conditions and as a locater.
I am haunted by waters.

Savage

Bulletproof-

I really like the Picassos you can get at Gander with the painted blades, they seem to work the best.? I have some that have lasted me for quite a few trips now.? Here's a couple tips that work for me:

scratch the paint off the back side, it makes the bait look more like its pulsating and drives 'em nuts.

you can get jig paint to repaint the blades.? if you do re-paint them, try a clear coat to lengthen the life.? Don't get too many coats of paint on a blade, it makes them run funny!

My best color is a white skirt, with a double willow leaf blades, the big one chartreuse and the other white

I dip the ends of the skirt in chartreuse dye, again, it looks like the bait is pulsating more

Put a trailer hook on that thing and go to town.? Just keep that thing out of sight
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Dan

Pulsators and Strike King models. Double willow 1/2 ounce are my particular favorites. On the northern lakes in September, if you want to compete you better be throwing them. Like the painted white with light blue fleck that Pulsator makes and the chartreuse are always a consistent producer. Never fish them without a trailer hook. Like to use a grub on the main hook, but there are times when it is too much.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Bulletproof

Last time I looked at gander they were practically giving away picassos.  dont recall what colors but they were half ounce.  i wanna say i paid like 2 or 3 bucks a piece for them. 
I am haunted by waters.

djkimmel

Been using War Eagle's for 5 or 6 seasons now. I don't really seem to have a chipped blade problem with them now that you mention it. Guess I quit noticing it when it quit happening.

I like buring the 3/4 oz double willows (occ. big willow behind a small Colorado) - all white, all chartreuse or the chartreuse/white combo depending on water quality, season and what the BIG smallies (sometimes largemouths) seem to be trying to tell me.

I will sometimes use a 'fake' burn - bigger blade on a 1/2 that gives the illusion of a burning spinnerbait that isn't actually going anywhere fast. Sometimes that really gets them. I don't do it enough.

I will burn smaller spinnerbaits more often when I don't seem to be around big smallies, but regular smallies and largemouths, especially around cover.

In real clear water in the summer, War Eagle has a number of really nice natural colors that seem to be great - blue herring shad, green shad, mouse are some good ones.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bulletproof

Never heard of War Eagle spinnerbaits until you mentioned them.  they look pretty darn good.  another bass item is going into the cart.  my x-mas funds have officially ran out.  i like the sun perch and the clear copper peach and can tink of a couple spots these baits may perservere in.
I am haunted by waters.

djkimmel

I have a lot of confidence in their ability to attract and catch bass. From what I know, they are made from piano wire. The wire chrome coating will eventually wear off from flexing (caused by mean bass) and then the wire can rust.

They will break if flexed hard enough by enough bass, but they last long enough for me to catch quite a few bass on one normally and I use round-nose pliers to keep the R-bend in shape without bending too much. I haven't had any break on the first fish or two - nothing like that. I use the older ones in practice and switch to a newer one for the tournament. I've flipped bass up to 4-6 in the boat on them.

I think the flex and vibration is the reason they get a lot of bites. I like the colors and the skirts. The skirts are tied, so to switch you need to cut them off, but I don't do that until usually after I've worn the skirt out on fish. I don't normally feel the urge to switch skirts because they are nice colors and shape.

You really want to try the buzzbaits - the best I've tried for consistency in productivity. Pretuned with a good rivet and pre-roughened wire for a great squeak right out of the package. The roughened wire will eventually eat through the blade, but again, not until after you've made a ton of casts (and in my experience) caught a lot of bass on them. I just carry extra blades.

The Screamin' Eagles are interesting too - extra weight for a heavy, but compact spinnerbait. I actually haven't used them much, but two of my regular fishing partners really like them.

I have a lot of confidence in these lures.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I never heard of War Eagles.  Where can you get them???  I have been a believer in Pulsators.  I have done very well on them but am always open to try a new brand.  The painted blades do chip but I don't believe that effects the bite unless the chips are large.  I also experiment with a lot of blade changes and combinations.  I customize them myself.  Experimenting is good.  It is interesting when you find a combination that might be unconventional.  The fish don't know the difference.......especially when they are hungry.

BD    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

D&R Sports sells War Eagles - usually some in stock - they will ship if they have what you want - 800-992-1520 - I like getting things from them when I can because in the past I've gotten the stuff really fast.

Once in a while, I see them at BPS. You can also get them online from various sites like basstackle.com.

Hooksetter

For me it's War Eagle. 1/2 oz double willow, chartreuse blades, skirt and a Zoom split tail trailer. It works for smallies on LSC and on inland lakes for smallies and LM. I got mine at Lakeside when they still had the store in Farmington on Grand River.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Skulley

I like to try everybodies stuff.? I haven't fished with a bad bait yet.? They are all good.? Some are just better than others.....but they are all good.? As Roland Martin says all colors are good as long as it's (choose the color du jour).? ?:o? I like all spinnerbaits.? I throw them a lot.? I would like to try War Eagles.? Thanks.....

BD? ? ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com