Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Battery talk

Started by BIGSHOW, April 27, 2013, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

I want to change the battery on my boat and was wondering what the manufactures specs are for it. Does anyone know how to find this out? It has a 875 cca starting battery now. The ones i've seen in the store are all around 675 or so. Just wondering what it really needed. Also thinking of a AGM battery. Is it worth the extra money. The prices dont seem bad at sams club. About $115.00

djkimmel

Do you have just 1 battery total? Is this part of a series or just your starter/electronics battery?

Deka AGM batteries are supposed to last longer, up to twice as many cycles as wet cell. I already get at least 5 complete seasons (5 when I was fishing 100+ days a year and 5 when fishing a range of 20 to 40 days) out of my Deka wet cell batteries so I have not tried AGM personally.

You don't have to check fluid levels or add fluid, and they less susceptible to vibration damage, with less resistance for a faster recharge. They can be mounted just about any way except they don't recommend upside down. They are less prone to freeze damage risk because they don't lose fluid. They work much better at low temperatures than gel batteries but may not have as much cranking power as a wet cell at low temps. They do not excel in very high temps but that shouldn't be an issue around the Great Lakes region.

Some AGM batteries may require a different charger than the ones most commonly available that are sold for wet cell. Make sure the AGM you are looking at doesn't require a special charger.

From http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0149Generic.pdf

VRLA AGM Batteries
Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) Absorbed Glass Mat
(AGM) batteries use special absorbed electrolyte technology that is superior to flooded lead-acid batteries.

Fine, highly porous microfiber glass separators absorb the electrolyte, increasing efficiency by lowering internal resistance and boosting capacity.

Lower internal resistance also means that the batteries can be recharged faster than conventional batteries,§ allowing the user to put them back into operation sooner.

The valve-regulated AGM battery virtually eliminates gas emissions and acid leakage for longer and safer battery operation. AGM batteries are also completely maintenance-free.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I have two battery's. One for the trolling motor and one for cranking the motor. I have no charging system for the trolling motor only the alternator for the starting battery. I have a 18 ft sea ray fish and ski with a mercury 115 efi four stroke. Just looking for the best battery option for my boat. There must be a manufactures recomendation.

mikballa

hey big show mike here go to boaters world on Jefferson in wyandotte good deals on battery's there also a good starting battery should be 850 to 875,also walmarts everstart battery's are good to you can get one there under 100.00 my first boat had a interstate marine only 750 cranking amps never had a problem with it they are around 100.00

djkimmel

It sounds like you are changing the starting battery?

According to Deka Batteries MARINE OUTBOARD MOTOR
APPLICATION GUIDE - http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0406MarineApplicationslayout.pdf - you need:
350 CCA (750 MCA) above 32ºF
750 CCA below 32ºF

You can get away with some 24 size batteries for wet cell - if you fish much in colder weather, you would to get a higher end 24 size with higher CCA/MCA.

If you go AGM/glass mat, you could get away again with a higher end 24 size again if you only fish above freezing temps. If you do fish much near/below freezing, then you may need to go to a 34 or 31 size battery for AGM to get enough CCA/MCA.

If you also run electronics off the starting battery, then you may want to go bigger than a size 24 if you tend to fish longer days.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.