Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Manual Jack Plate help

Started by chesney1603, April 02, 2013, 01:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chesney1603

I have a 1989 Bass Tracker (fiberglass) with a Johnson 150 GT. I bought it a year ago and have been really happy with it. Currently I'm running a 24 Raker on her. The problem I have is I'm not sure if it's set up properly. GPS has me at 58-60 mph (glass water) with half a tank of gas with just me in the boat. With my fishing buddy we drop down to 55 mph. WOT is 5000-5500. Not sure if its reading correctly. What should I do with the jack plate to make sure it's set up correctly? Thank you my fellow boating friends.

Slipkey

The easiest way to set up a manual plate is to initially set the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the pad. Then do trial runs, raising the plate in 1/4" increments until you see it affect your water pressure or the boat starts to porpoise at WOT. Then drop it down 1/8" and you should be in your sweet spot for top end.  That won't necessarily equal your sweet spot for holeshot and ride, but if you make notes in your tests, you'll have a pretty good approximation of your middle ground.  Good luck!

chesney1603

I'm not sure how to adjust the jack plate. There are two bolts on either side of it, with one big one in the middle behind the motor. What do I do? I would post a pic of it, but I can't figure that out either. What the heck is wrong with me :-\'

chesney1603

The jack plate is an R&R Design, Inc. Slide Master 12" setback

Slipkey

Usually the middle one runs vertically, and raises/lowers the plate.  The two bolts on either side lock the position after you've set the height.  You can probably find the instruction manual (a handy thing to have, anyway) on R&R's website: http://www.rnrd.com/mpa.main.html

chesney1603

Thanks Slipkey. I figured thats how it worked, I was just afraid to loosen the side bolts. I didnt want to dump the motor on the ground. I finally built up the courage and did it. Raised it 1/4 inch. Gained 3mph on GPS

Slipkey

Lightningboy

Do you have a water pressure guage?  You really should get one if you don't. 

With one, you can keep raising the plate 1/4 inch at a time, and watch the pressure at top end.  Keep doing it till you see the pressure drop too low.  I believe the minimum for that motor is 18 psi at full throttle.  Once you hit minimum, move it back up 1/4 inch. 

You may have to balance how high you can go with your holeshot.  Some rigs won't bite water if you've got the motor too high.

Of course, you could always swap for a hydraulic plate... ;D

djkimmel

Quote from: chesney1603 on April 02, 2013, 08:25:12 PM
I'm not sure how to adjust the jack plate. There are two bolts on either side of it, with one big one in the middle behind the motor. What do I do? I would post a pic of it, but I can't figure that out either. What the heck is wrong with me :-\'

Check out the General Support forum for several so-easy-a-caveman-could-do-it topics on how to add pictures to your posts.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.