Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:19:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

fluorocarbon on spinning reel

Started by BIGSHOW, April 15, 2013, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manxfishing

For me
With Micro guides the swivel isn't a option
So I tie the uni to uni knot, take my time, Make sure it's wet before clintching and then use a drop of super glue.
For leader length I go with around 10' that gives me a few re ties for the pike bite offs

BIGSHOW

Do you guys go a little heavier line on the baitcasters? I got 12 lb. invisx on mine.

bigmojet

I also go double uni knot. I run shorter leaders as I dont like knot casting thru guides. I think it weakens knot aftera lot of casting and reeling. Dropshotting I don't mind cause not casting as hard as a crankbait.

I go 12 and 15 floro on baitcasters.

customfishn

I have little to zero problems with 12 pound Seaguar I stretch my line and condition it regularly I use a 300 Lew's not that the manufacturer matters.  I keep a can of straight Silicon spray and spray it maybe every hour of use.  A can lasts me 3 years and I get away using big line on a spinning reel.

BIGSHOW

What is the conditioner you guys talk about? never heard of it. I also have a lew's. BB1 5.1:1 & 7.1:1

Waterfoul

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

Before KVD had his line conditioner out, he always advised spraying on silicone as a "line conditioner."
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

BIGSHOW

Just spray it on the spool of line?

Mojo

Quote from: Mike S. on April 17, 2013, 04:40:30 AM
I don't use a swivel. I tie a unity knot to join the two. As far as leader length, I just make sure that when I have enough line out for casting, off the end of the rod, and the knot stays between the reel and the first guide.

The unity knot isn't difficult to tie. It just takes some getting used to. It is defijitely easier to tie when you ha e two different colored lines.

Whenever I do that, the line snags on the knot when I cast. Argghh.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Kal-Kevin

Quote from: BIGSHOW on April 17, 2013, 08:13:20 PM
Just spray it on the spool of line?
Yes just hit the line with a good shot or two. What I do is spray it on the line the night before a tournament then hit it again while I'm waiting to start fishing.

Dan

Just be careful to not get it on the reel handles. That stuff makes stuff super slippery.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

I've been using 8 and 10 lbs test P-LINE HALO on spinning reels for over 5 years. I love it!

• Fill the spool about 1/2 way with cheap 10 lbs test line.

• Attach the P-LINE HALO to the backing line with uni to uni knots.

• Reel the P-LINE HALO on correctly without adding twist - start with the new line spool laying flat label up and flip it over after a few turns of the reel handle if you are getting lots of twist.

• Fill the reel spool to the recommended level - ~1/8 or a little farther from the outside edge - keeping the line going on under some tension. I spray a little silicone spray or KVD line conditioner on my fingertips and run the line between them.

• Spray the line on the reel spool with silicone spray or KVD line conditioner. You can repeat this a few times during the day if maximum is your thing, or just do it at night again for the next fishing trip.

• Finally, every time you cast, close the bail with your hand. Grasp the line in front of the bail roller and pull it tight before you start your retrieve. After a while, you will do this without even thinking about it. You should do this with any line on a spinning reel.

You will eliminate most of your line problems while gaining the advantages of fluorocarbon for clear water and techniques that benefit from a sinking line.

If you are fishing in a way that creates lots of line twist, figure out what you are doing to cause that and address that issue with a fix. Line twist can cause you problems with any type of line so try to eliminate it as much as you can.

I use lots of P-Line Spectrex braid too - great quality line for a great price - but I use P-Line HALO fluorocarbon line more than everything else put together.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: djkimmel on April 19, 2013, 05:59:55 PM
I've been using 8 and 10 lbs test P-LINE HALO on spinning reels for over 5 years. I love it!

• Fill the spool about 1/2 way with cheap 10 lbs test line.

• Attach the P-LINE HALO to the backing line with uni to uni knots.

• Reel the P-LINE HALO on correctly without adding twist - start with the new line spool laying flat label up and flip it over after a few turns of the reel handle if you are getting lots of twist.

• Fill the reel spool to the recommended level - ~1/8 or a little farther from the outside edge - keeping the line going on under some tension. I spray a little silicone spray or KVD line conditioner on my fingertips and run the line between them.

• Spray the line on the reel spool with silicone spray or KVD line conditioner. You can repeat this a few times during the day if maximum is your thing, or just do it at night again for the next fishing trip.

• Finally, every time you cast, close the bail with your hand. Grasp the line in front of the bail roller and pull it tight before you start your retrieve. After a while, you will do this without even thinking about it. You should do this with any line on a spinning reel.

You will eliminate most of your line problems while gaining the advantages of fluorocarbon for clear water and techniques that benefit from a sinking line.

If you are fishing in a way that creates lots of line twist, figure out what you are doing to cause that and address that issue with a fix. Line twist can cause you problems with any type of line so try to eliminate it as much as you can.

I use lots of P-Line Spectrex braid too - great quality line for a great price - but I use P-Line HALO fluorocarbon line more than everything else put together.

Halo is the best.
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

rudycard72

I have used p-line floroclear for years and love the results, 6-8lb on spinning gear. I used to use kvd's line conditioner but now I am relocated and back in the game and the only product I see in the nearby stores for line conditioning is reel magic, anyone ever try it?