Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

fluorocarbon on spinning reel

Started by BIGSHOW, April 15, 2013, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Looking for a good fluro line for my spinning reel. I've had some that wants to come un spooled before. Any ideas. Shimano 2500ci4

Kal-Kevin

I have never had good luck with fluro on any spinning reel so I use a leader of fluro on my spinning reels.

I was talking to a couple guys at a sports show here a few weeks ago and they said to down size to the lowest poundage line you can use and do not fill your reel as full as you do with mono.

TCook

Seaguar Invizx 8 or 6lb problem solved
FISH HARD!!!

Dan

I used Vicious Pro Elite all last year six pound and three quarter filled spools. Plenty strong and little problem with coils.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

red68prostreet

The best thing I ever did was switch to Power Pro braid on all my spinning reels then add the flurocarbon leader. I use the red braid for 8 lb applications and yellow braid for 10 lb. I have had zero issues with line twist since doing this.

Mike S.

I used to use P-Line Halo. It is awesome line. But, thanks to Waterfoul, I switched to Power Pro 15# braid with a floro leader last fall. In my opinion, it is way more sensitive. I will never go back. I use the yellow and green braid. Give it a shot. I'm sure you too will love it.

Manxfishing

I'm with the rest of them
I've tried all fluoro, 3/4 filled spool and used the conditioner
It works for a while, then sooner or later there's a big wad or mess when I didn't what it.

So I've switched to 10# 832 with a 10# leader
But you can have problems with the knot. i feel I've worked thru that

In some ways I miss the all fluoro
Thought it worked better in the wind.
But the braid casts farther, has a better feel, doesn't need to be re spooled during the year and it's allot stronger. Plus i'm not buying
200 bucks worth of Fluoro for the year

PineLk 49

I have fought this years back also. I used to use smaller reals to make my combo lighter, but started using reels with bigger spools and not filling them so full. Still  I get some twisting, but not nearly as often and rarely line unspooling.

Be careful to match  your reel to the rod to keep a good balance.

Some may laugh, but I have used Vanish Flouro since 2007. this line is half the price as most flouro's and works great. I do change my line often though. In 2007 I fished 26 tourneys. Won 13 and cashed in 21 of those. Also won singles national championship. I believe this was do to the line.

So don't give up on flouro. Experiment with reels and different line!!!

Dave

YpsiBass

I switched to Seaguar InvisX last year and couldn't be happier. Stays spooled and is as strong as anything else on LSC.

bigmojet

I think people have success with Invizx because the thickness or diameter is a lot smaller per pound test than most other floro lines.

If u look at specs for Inviz you can go up 2# in strength to match competitions diameter or go down 2# to match pound strength of competition with limper line.

thedude

8# invisx or i used to use the XPS fluoro and was happy with that.  Line conditioner helps.

i use mostly braid/leader now, however there are some presentations where i want straight fluoro - but i never go over 8lb
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bigmojet

Dude, what conditions would u run straight floro? I have been wrestling with that even though I just spooled up 6# suffix 832 on 2 spinning rods. The med light rod I will run 6# floro leader and med rod I will run 8# floro leader.

Got Fish??

When you fish floro, You have to  watch your line  closely and change your line  often. That's the nature of the  beast. I use 8LB test mono  I  match the rod and reel, set my drag, and play. It's all about  touch.

Redbone

I know people that do it, and do it well. But straight fluro on my spinning reels does not happen. I prefer braid with fluro leader.

motocross269

I have always used Power pro but last year I started testing Spider wire Flouro braid.....I like it because it sinks and gives you better feel in deeper water patterns...I have stuck with 15lb test with a flouro leader...

dartag

8 lb fireline with a 10 lb floro leader.  Using a swivel.  I have seen to many fish lost when the knot breaks.   Half way through the summer take the braid off and reverse it and reel it back on.   

You can cast it a mile.  fun to outcast your partner when bed fishing.

thedude

i use braid for everything unless i'm trying to keep a lighter bait on or near the bottom but also moving - like dragging a light weight tube or darter. Braid has a tendency to cause the bait to rise and it also makes the bait fall slower sometimes. With flouro, once the line sinks, you can maintain a better angle and keep the bait moving along the bottom.  This really isn't an issue on heavier baits - like a 3/8oz tube or something similar that has enough weight to stick to the bottom.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bigjc

I have completely given up on flouro on spinning!  In fact, I will only using a spinning reel when I have to.  I have a few baitcasters spooled with flouro.  My fav. spinning compo is spooled with 8pound co-poly.  I also have one spooled with 6# co-poly.  I keep one spinning rod rigged with braid, almost exclusively for drop shotting, and I use a swivel and flouro leader.

Might not be perfect, but it is what I am comfortable with.  SILVER THREAD is hands down the best line I have ever used!  Silver Thread co-polymer is thin, super strong and very castable!  I use it in most applications.

Mojo

Quote from: TCook on April 15, 2013, 10:15:00 PM
Seaguar Invizx 8 or 6lb problem solved

Good call on this brand 8 lb for your 2500 is max.  Go for the extra limp.

The bps 10 - 12 lb or any P line will send you over the edge.

Question for all you studs wearing braids,   ;D.   How long a leader of Floro ? And how do you reset up when you break off on a snag ? Just retie at the swivel ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mike S.

I don't use a swivel. I tie a unity knot to join the two. As far as leader length, I just make sure that when I have enough line out for casting, off the end of the rod, and the knot stays between the reel and the first guide.

The unity knot isn't difficult to tie. It just takes some getting used to. It is defijitely easier to tie when you ha e two different colored lines.