Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

West side source for blanks?

Started by Slipkey, April 10, 2013, 09:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipkey

I'm up for taking the plunge and building out my first rod, a 7' MH rod for open water spinnerbait fishing.  I was looking to buy my blank from Mudhole but the shipping runs to $25 and I'd really like to be able to see and feel the blank before I begin.  Are there any shops on the west side that sell blanks?  I'm partial to the feel and action of the St. Croix GSII and GSIII series blanks but would like to find something similar without the premium price. Thanks!

thedude

only place that might have blanks would be patriot rods down in Gobles. I think they are still in operation but i don't know to what capacity these days.

Your other option would be to shop the tackle-craft section of cabelas and use the free in-store pickup.

I've switched completely over to using Hydra blanks which are designed and manufactured here in the states (S.Carolina/Arkansas). They are a premium blank in that you are looking at about 100$ per - however, they blow SCIII (avids) away. His website is underconstruction, but blanks are available through Binham Enterprises and Merrick Tack. I have several on hand both constructed and bare blanks if you want to check them out.

For a first build, the IM6 budget blanks (20$) at mudhole are actually a pretty decent blank. I've built a few 7'M rods on them as well as a few ultra lights.

To your original query - if you are looking for "SCIII" type blanks - you can get the st. croix, MHX (mudhole) standard modulus and Rainshadow RX7 are all in the same ballpark.  SCII would be similar to rainshadow RX6 or several pac-bay offerings.  These are the basic do-all/bread and butter lines and will range from 45-60$ per blank.

Don't be surprised to not save any money making your own rods - it's literally not possible. you can't make a rod for 80$ that will be better than most factory offerings in the same pricepoint. You can however make a rod for 150 that is better than just about any rod on the shelf - especially if you can attribute value to having it setup exactly the way you want.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Slipkey

Great information, Dude.  Thank you!  I may take you up on that offer to check out the Hydra blanks.  Shoot me a PM, if there's a good time to do that.  I work in Downtown GR and live out in the Cascade area.  For my first build, I was planning on a good basic blank, guides and handle set.  The ones I was looking at from Mudhole were the MHX Standard modulus blanks with an Alconite guide set - to start the ball rolling.  I figure once I get my mojo, I can take risks putting together more expensive stuff.  :)

Quote from: thedude on April 10, 2013, 03:47:11 PM
Don't be surprised to not save any money making your own rods - it's literally not possible. you can't make a rod for 80$ that will be better than most factory offerings in the same pricepoint. You can however make a rod for 150 that is better than just about any rod on the shelf - especially if you can attribute value to having it setup exactly the way you want.

Totally figured that out already.  I like the idea of building to suit me, though, and I seem to always be dealing with things I don't like on my 'premium' rods anyway.  :/

thedude

i work downtown also. near 131/196 interchange in fact.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Slipkey

Cool!  Since you appear to be a man who appreciates his beer, want to grab one (my treat) after work on Friday and you can bring one of the blanks along for me to check out?   SpeakEZ always has a good selection on tap or Brewery Vivant usually has one or two good seasonals.  I'd include Founders, as well, but there's no way I want to try to find parking there on a Friday afternoon...

thedude

i will probably be at the fifth street hall (5th and davis) for an hour or 2 tomorrow afternoon with some co-workers. i will try to remember to grab a couple blanks if you want to swing through and check things out. Appreciate the offer
Palehorse Custom Rods

Slipkey

How 'bout we try next week?  I've got plans tomorrow night anyway so that would probably work better.  I'll send a message your way after the weekend and we can figure it out. -Jon

Crookedneck

Right now utmost enterprises has some closeout blanks.  They are 6'6" MH Mag taper blanks.  For a whole $10 a blank.  You have to order 2, but they are decent blanks.  Much better than the Mudhole CRB blanks.   I believe they are PacBay blanks, but don't quote me on that. They make a great spinning rod.  Shipping would probably cost you $13-14.  I built a couple last year.  The guys I built them for loved them.  Great blanks to start on.

Dude, how has the building been going?  Haven't seen any recent builds of yours.  I've been busy, building a whole new line up for myself.  I would be interested in knowing more about those Hydra blanks, how they stack up and performance.

Mike

thedude

i just got blanks and parts in this week. been working 60-70hrs a week (on purpose) so i just haven't had much time. I have 6 i'm going to try and finish in the next 2 weeks and thats probably all i'll have time for.  I started working on an up-locking fuji sk2 spinning rod today. I think i have a pretty good system for it, we'll see how the prototype goes, so far so good.
Palehorse Custom Rods