Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:48:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Absolute Fish Catchers

Started by Mojo, April 07, 2013, 11:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Ok final topic to get us through the (unneeded) MI closed season:

In 20 words or less - whats your absolute fish catcher ?
         Brand, size, color, weight,
         Fishing situation (spawn, overcast, lethargic) large or smallmouth

NOO pumping your sponsor.  Ready ?

GO!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

I'm not going to delete them. Did you hack into moderator powers Mojo?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Slipkey

Hands down:  4" Kalin's Avocado S/P grub.  I rig it on a darter head jig with spinning gear and almost always have one tied on up to deep summer, and then again when the water starts to cool. Dipping the tail in chartreuse or orange dye can give it a bit more visibility/flash.  It's my favorite early season through post-spawn producer and then again in early through late fall.

Second choice:  2.5" watermelon Zoom Critter Craw rigged Texas, Carolina or on a football head.  I'll dip the claws in orange dye as it gets closer to summer.

thedude

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Mojo

I fish and chat about fish catchers so it's no secret:

Tube: Xtremebasstackle 5" Canadian Mist, Triple Threat, or drab pumpkin - they all have big black fleck and always a 1/4 or at max 3/8 Kustom kicker goby head gamma hooks( weedless)

DS: Erie darter, NEmisis goby and X Zone Slammers (all at Sportsmans Direct, Al & Bobs, or Mikes RX)

Largemouth: berkley pumpkin chigger craw with curly antenae with an 1/8 wt and red glass bead ( thanks Jason), or pure white strike king perfect plastics 5" soft jerk bait with again 1/16 or 1/8 sliding wt.  Both wicked in the weeds.

Docks: Kustom Kicker darter head (no swim tail) with a kalin grub or worm, longer and thinner profile  is better

There, blew the door open and didn't take favorites.  
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

BIGSHOW

Lol, thedude. Gotta be senkos for me too. Black (no flake) and green pumpkin. I like the darters and berkley havok green pumpkin beavertails for Drop shot.

Manxfishing

Quote from: BIGSHOW on April 07, 2013, 06:15:30 PM
Lol, thedude. Gotta be senkos for me too. Black (no flake) and green pumpkin. I like the darters and berkley havok green pumpkin beavertails for Drop shot.

I'm with you on the Senko's and colors, And I like the watermelon & gold for the great lakes
DS I like the gulp goby or the fry worm

I the spring it's hard to beat a texes rigged chigger

detroit1

Like everyone else, mine changes as the season progresses, but if i had to narrow it down i got 3. A  4" Kinami flash in chart. shad, a home - assembled spinbait, or an olive back DD22. Only a spinnerbait gets thrown about every trip.
WAVE THERAPY

MSURoss

Three top lures would have to be a 1/2oz strike king fb jig, sweet beaver in crawswirl, and ds berkley alive minnow

Frank

White Red Dirt spinnerbait with 5 red strands and silver willows.  7" Zipper worm in pumkin. 10" Power worm, black with chartreuse tail.  Kustom Kicker buzzbait.  Mepps #3 Aglia, squirrel tail with silver blade.

tubechucker

On St. Clair I have these rigged up almost always:
Xtreme Bass Tackle Tube with 1/4 or 5/16 head in great lakes craw or canadian mist
Zoom Fluke rigged with a weightless 3/0 or 4/0 hook - Pink is my favorite but I use white often
Drop shot favorite is a zoom meathead in green pump or greenie weenie
Rapala X Rap in white or a lucky craft pointer in ghost minnow

Summertime I have been drop shotting more  than anything with gulp shiners & goby but I seem to always seem go back to the meat head. 

As far as inland largie lakes I haven't fished them much in the past few years so I always default to a senko or rubber worm.  Spent some dollars this year loading up on largie plastics and jigs to work on some new techniques and baits.

Anytime i have a day to go its hard for me not to go to St. Clair... 

Lightningboy

Big water:  DS Nemesis goby.  Real goby in the lakes, cinnimon with purple flakes in the rivers. 

Inland lakes: Nemesis shaky worm, T-rigged or on a shaky head.  Green pumpkin usually does it every time.

Hard baits: SPRO aruku shad.  Megabass vision 110.  LC flat DR (discontinued).  Rapala rattlin' fat rap, mustard with brown back (discontinued).

Waterfoul

Funny how you guys actually think thedude fishes a senko. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

hey, the query was "absolute fish catchers" not what i fish the most. obviously, i don't use absolute fish catchers nearly enough.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

You'd think an ex-teacher would pick up on your correct answer to the specific question?!? ;D

Slipkey, you are so old-school! :) Hardly ever see those around anymore. I still dig out my old avocado stingray grubs whenever I'm feeling like I miss the 70's... ::)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Slipkey

Quote from: djkimmel on April 09, 2013, 01:34:17 AM
Slipkey, you are so old-school! :) Hardly ever see those around anymore. I still dig out my old avocado stingray grubs whenever I'm feeling like I miss the 70's... ::)

Hey! Quit punkin' on my grubs! :P In my defense, I have permanently traded in my Super Flukes for Senkos and my Rattlin' Rogues for LC Pointers.  That said, my Grub Rod is rigged with a Tennessee handle - no rings, just electrical tape... :D

djkimmel

Uh oh... I would not get rid of those Super Flukes (or if you really have to, just send them to me to 'get rid of' ;D). I wouldn't get rid of the Rogues either!?!

I have a metric ton of Kalin grubs scattered through my archives though I'm probably about out of avocado it has been so long... I'm fun-fishing more so old school is comin' back for Danny boy!

Shoot! I'm just glad to see you hangin' around here really... had me worried... :)

djkimmel

You know...?? I think I have a pack of those GIANT Kalin grubs still in that color... where would be the question but that was during my stealth buzzbait experimenting days.

I'm going to add that back onto my 'official' experimentatin' list again! Fun and weird experiments are the best kind!

Slipkey

Quote from: djkimmel on April 09, 2013, 02:15:47 AM
Uh oh... I would not get rid of those Super Flukes (or if you really have to, just send them to me to 'get rid of' ;D). I wouldn't get rid of the Rogues either!?!

Shoot! I'm just glad to see you hangin' around here really... had me worried... :)

Actually, saying 'permanently retired' is a bit overstatement.  I just never seem to tie them on any more when I've got all of those 'newfangled' baits laying about.  I'm glad to be back.  It's been a roller coaster of a few years on the home and work fronts - some good, some bad.  I missed this place!  :)

t-bone

If I want to catch a lot of fish (LM) then there isn't anything better than a centipede with a light weight. Learned this from one of the members on this forum.
For smallies - Nemesis goby on a drop shot is pretty lethal. Spring time, vision 110 all the way.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250