Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Adding a few rods to the boat this year......possibly.

Started by Mike S., March 13, 2013, 08:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I have a few baitcasters laying in the top of my tool box right now. I guess I will put them to use this year. I will definitely be putting two rods to us this year for sure. I am going to use one for strictly top water, and the other for jerk baits. What I want to know is what do you guys use for rods for top water and jerkbaits. Length, action, and so forth.

bigmojet

For topwater i use a 7' med action fast tip and for jerkbaits i use a 7'6" med heavy action with a moderate tip.
I use braid and floro leader on topwater and 12# floro on jerkbait rod.

I'm somewhat tall so I dont like any rods under 7' for any of the fishing I do.

bigmojet

Scratch floro leader on topwater. Should have typed mono.

TCook

For a guy with normal height I would go with a 6ft medium action slow tip and a short handle for topwater so you can twitch straight down. For a jerkbait a 6 1/2ft medium action with a slow tip. Straight 14lb mono for TW and flouro for JB.
FISH HARD!!!

bigmojet

I like the longer rods because im taller than average and like picking up more line on hookset  but also because my aluminum boat casting area is higher off the water than a lot of you guys running lower deck bass boats.

fishstick

Poppers- 6'8" medium Dobyns Champion 684cb with 20lb P-Line Spectrex braid (can also use this rod for jerkbaits but with flouro). I feel like I can be much more controlled and precise with my pops when using a shorter rod.

Walking style baits- 7'6" medium Dobyns Champion 764CB RM with 30lb braid. I really like the long rod for bombing a bait to schooling fish or covering a lot of water.

Jerkbaits- 7' medium Dobyns 704cb with 10 or 12lb flouro

Mike S.

MaizeNBlue

Mike , check out the Okuma Helios rods. I got the one I ordered in the mail yesterday...its awesome!

Waterfoul

You know me... Shimano fan.  Check out the Clarus models.  Or give me a call.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I bought another St Croix Rage. I love those rods. And I also bought an Abu Veritas. I have to give that rod a shot.

FishermanJohn

I use a 6'6" St. Croix Legend medium action fast action with 17# Sufix mono for my topwater - I go a little heavier than usual because I use the same rig for all topwater - frogs, spooks, and poppers and can throw it into heavier cover.

For jerkbaits I use a 704 Powell - has a more moderate tip but still relatively fast with 10# or 12# P-line fluoro.

Mojo

Well, you have a few rods already, so choosing the right one comes down to 2 choices:

Spinning gear
Bait caster

Someone guy name Kevin wrote he prefers spinning gear for jerk baits to ensure control and slower retrieve. 4 to 8 seconds between twitches, so it makes sense. You may not need a bait caster for a jerk bait. 

That being said, I like a MH 6'6- 6'8 with 10 -12 lb mono......the line contraction seems to let the bait continue to glide between twitches, and it works.  I like this set up for both top water and jerk baits. Sometimes if you add a split ring to the jerk bait it catches more fish, but I haven't any luck doing it with top water.

The MH is for action.... The negative is I don't really like a MH with treble hooks so again,
the spinning reel brings the fish in slower and I have to lay the tip forward more as the fish comes in.

If you can find a MH rod with a reel whippy or x-fast tip, give it a try with mono bro. Hope this helps Mike.

Mojo
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

t-bone

Couple things come to mind regarding this:

- Jerkbaits rod - I think finding a good jerkbait rod is one of the techniques where this really, really matters and is difficult to find one that I was comfortable. The right rod makes a big difference on the action and the feel. I think going with a companies technique specific rod is a good choice versus trying to find one yourself. I went through a number of rods before I found one that works well. Shorter rods (6ft to 6.6) seem better for this. I'm not really tall and longer rods seem difficult to manage for this technique. A softer tip is really useful. I have one that I really like now but unfortunately I can't remember the brand and model.

- Top water rod - actually I'd rather talk about the real. I prefer a spinning reel for this. For walking the dog baits, I like picking up the slack line with the spinning reel versus baitcaster. Just seems easier to me. For popping small baits, I like a spinning reel too - easier to cast those lightweight lures on lightweight braid.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Waterfoul

I like a spinning rod for jerkbaits... they cast the somewhat lighter baits a bit further with no issues with "professional over run" if it's a bit windy.  Believe it or not I use an old Gander Mountain 6'6" medium/medium Pro Series rod for this.  Haven't found a rod I like better so I stick with this rod.  I have a BPS Pro Qualifier reel on it so I can take up the slack quick when that line takes off after letting the bait sit for what seems like an eternity some times.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

I use both casting and spinning reels for jerkbaits. I only use casting reels for 98% of my topwater fishing. I have found that techniques like slackwater jerking and walking the dog can create more problems with loose and twisted line on spinning reels. Despite all these years of fishing, I still haven't made up my mind.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.