Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

"Cool Hubs" maintianence question

Started by LennyB, February 25, 2013, 07:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyB

I plan to replace my bearings on my trailer and was wondering if anyone knows how full to fill "Cool Hubs"? Should I fill them to the top of the hub or just to the top of the sight glass?

Thanks ~ Len B. ???

dartag

If you change the bearings get new seals.  To fill you take out the allan head screw and put the oil in slowly.  I use a spout that goes on the oil bottle.  you have to just dribble it is so the air can get back out. If not you have a mess.  I fill to the top of the sight glass. 

Rangerman

If you going to replace the bearing and races replace all seals. A word of caution Do NOT use any seal that is not a Mfg seal. They are double lipped. The cross over seal will leak for sure. Now to fill I take the bottle of 50 sae recommed on my Ranger Trail and put it in the sink with hot water, not too hot for about 10 mins. Then I fill and old time oil squirt gun with the oil and pump in slowly in the allen hole. Let it burp and keep filling till its full. Done this many times on my 98 Cool Hubs and never change em out in 14 years. Many mile from NC to LSC and Champaign. Be very careful use on the proper seal. I asure you the cross over will leak. I also use teflon tape on the allen head when I put it back in. I assume you got a Ranger Trail, best way to make sure you got the right stuff is call Ranger and get the trailer shop. You can have them and 3 to 4 days. Good Luck. Cheap insurance is save the old bearing an races for any problems on the road. I carry a complete hub on the road again cheap insurance. Tip #2 while you are at it check and make sure you that the Big Allen Wrench not so you could take down the hub and remove the brake capiler in need. Thats something most guys to have and really hurt you if you have to new hub on take down complete. :D

fiker

Quote from: Rangerman on March 01, 2013, 10:33:29 AM. Tip #2 while you are at it check and make sure you that the Big Allen Wrench not so you could take down the hub and remove the brake capiler in need. Thats something most guys to have and really hurt you if you have to new hub on take down complete. :D

I don't understand. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Rangerman

Big Allen Wrench gets alot of guys :D You will not need it if just servicing the Cool Hubs, but If you every need to switch out hubs due to burn out you will need it to pull the brake disc from the hub. I carry a complete hub with brake disc on it, about $140.00 from Ranger Trail years ago. Just craw up under the trailer sometime and look at the back of the disc and how it is bolted to the hub. Take a BFAW to unbolt it. :D :D Hope that helps. I am a cool hub fan. If you have any question give me call on the bat phone 704-467-6000 an I'll be glad to help you.