Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Did you catch Hook n' Look where Kim Stricker showed bass do eat while on beds?

Started by djkimmel, February 08, 2013, 07:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

That's what I love about Kim's show - he is showing people so they can see with their own eyes how so many of these old wives tales are just not true. He showed that smallmouth do eat while on the beds. Something any die hard, long time angler of clear water full of bass could tell anyone if they were willing to listen...

The more people know, the easier it will be to get the fishing we should have in some of our slow to come into the light states!

Thanks Kim! And Danny too of course!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

gmetime24

I think your talking about the episode when Kim takes out the guy from Evinrude. That was awesome how they found that live crawdad and placed him right by that smallie on his bed. Once they let that craw go that fish wasted no time inhaling that meal. That was a really sweet look into the actions of those smallies while guarding their fry

djkimmel

That was the one. They also talked about stomach content of smallmouth bass guarding beds. The stomachs were not empty. I was with some people watching some up North smallies underwater guarding deep beds and they kept eating gobies that would come near the bed. The goby did not have to come into the bed. Just near, and the smallie would eat it! Wham! Goby gone...

One smallie put on quite a show eating goby after goby! On one particular lake up there, I am completely convinced that the smallies are leaving the beds to go foraging and then they come back after a while.

I expect Kim and Danny to keep showing people the real bass and not the bass they have been misled sometimes about. I really like those underwater beds they found in 28 feet a while back. It wasn't that long ago that quite a few people in the biology business would tell you that bass never bed that deep. Never... wrong...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

gmetime24

That is awesome. Hopefully more people will start to realize these old wives tales are not true and shows like hook n look will start to change their opinions.

21XDC

These smallies are not on beds, But since were talking about craws and smallies.. I found this interesting how many bites they make seeming to pick off the claws first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmovTe26ePM
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

gmetime24

That video is awesome!! I like how it starts with one smallie and by the end of the video there a school of them!!

djkimmel

Smallies are a LOT like a school of cats. That's why I used to cat-fish in the winter - no hooks of course! Didn't want the wrath of the wife! But a 15 or 18 pound cat puts up a heck of a fight, especially when it gets behind the couch!! You can learn some very similar things about reflex 'bites' and triggering a 'strike' with a cat as you would from various moods of smallmouth bass.

That's the theory I've explained to my wife anyway...

djkimmel

Somewhere nearby that video there has to be a momma smallmouth yelling at the kids to stop playing with their food! ;D

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html