Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What Prop should I get?

Started by customfishn, February 13, 2013, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customfishn

I just bought a new Nitro Z-9 with a 250 Pro XS and am trying to decide between a 26 pitch Fury or a 27 pitch Fury.  I know there are pros and cons to both but I love top end runs. Oh and I have a 25 pitch fury from my last boat so I have a small prop if I need it. 

Waterfoul

Have you checked what others are running?  BBC perhaps?

But like I always say, go big or go home!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

customfishn

I have checked other places thats where I came up with the choice between the 2.  The guys running the 27 say the hole shot is sluggish but top end and mid range are awesome.

Waterfoul

Well ask yourself... on the average, is an extra couple mph worth a sluggish hole shot?  Most of the lakes we fish (with a few exceptions) that extra couple mph is fairly useless.  And my experience tells me that mid range "punch" should be just as strong with the 26... it's just going to happen at a slightly higher RPM.  The smaller wheel will also give you more control in rough water (Lake Michigan when chasing Don to White for instance) as it will build RPM quicker giving you more throttle control.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Lightningboy

Go with the 27, as you already have a 25.

In colder weather like spring & fall, the density of the air will let you build more power.  The 27 will get you out of the water easily, and allow you to push the top end.  Matches up well with the lakes being empty so you've got room to run.

Use the 25 in the summer when the heat comes on.  The motor won't produce as much power in the heat & humidity, so the mechanical advantage of the 25 will launch you much better.  Add a full gas tank, full livewells, you'll need that 25 then.

BTW- do you have a jackplate?  It can make a big difference in performance, and let you wring the most out of a prop.

I've got a 2000 TR-21 DC with about the same motor as you.  I run a 25 Trophy in summer heat, and a custom 27 Trophy in spring and fall.

Drive it like you stole it.   8)

Crankinsmallies

I have a 2012 nitro z-9 with the merc 250 just as you do, I use my 25p tempest plus most of the year, I have a 26p tempest plus and only notice 1-2 mph extra out of it.  I run the 25 for the holeshot, which is the best i have ever seen in a boat.  I wouldn't go with the 27 as you will find the holeshot will be alright when empty, but will be a pain with livewells full.  The 26p will get you what you want, but be prepared when you don't get over 75mph with any of these props. This boat is heavier than most, I have only seen 75 in my boat a few times.  When I bought it from D&R Randy said I should go with the 25p tempest plus (as recommended by KVD, this is what he runs) for better handling and topend.  I went with the 25p, I get 71-72 out of it.  Comparing this boat to a triton will do you no good, i had a Triton TR-21x and was getting 78 out of it with a 26p tempest plus, so ask actual owners of Nitro's and leave the other brands info. alone. 

customfishn

I had a heavy nitro I know they don't run as fast as others.  I'm not looking to out run everyone, if I wanted that I would have got a Bullet I was looking at.  So it looks like I'll get the 26p prop I would just rather leave the same prop on all year and not worry about it.

Lightningboy

I beg to differ on that.  The Nitro Z9 is heavier than the TR-21 for sure; 2100 lb. vs. 1750 lb.  That accounts for the lower top speed.

But both hulls are similar in where they carry their respective weight.  Both are stern heavy, and require stern lift to achieve real speed.  Compared to let's say a Ranger, which has more bow weight.

The real apples to oranges here is your choice of the tempest.  It's a three blade, which doesn't give any where near the lift of a four blade like the trophy or fury.  A tempest will allow you to wind it up better, but lose hole shot.

Besides, why would you want two props pitched that close to each other?  That only gives you a 200 rpm difference top end; not enough to make up for atmospheric density differences between cold & hot weather.

The right prop for the moment is the one that will allow you to get max rpm and get you out of the water.  Most rigs will see a difference of 400-600 rpm between hot & cold weather.

It's about physics, not boat brands.

Customfishn: if you only want to run one prop, go with the 26 as a compromise.  The fury was designed to give a better hole shot with the same pitch as other four blade props.

Now, what you gonna do with that 25?

Waterfoul

Have you ever driven a Triton Lighteningboy?  Tail heavy?  Not mine.  I can almost stand my 186 on the transom at max rpm and make it chine walk to the point of scaring the crap out of anyone in the boat or watching from shore.  Never seen a Nitro do that.

Been driving boats for many years of all shapes and sizes (even raced for a time) and this one carries the bow a lot higher than any other boat I've owned.  And that's with what I would call a crummy 23" LazerII prop.  With my 22" 4 blade Turning Point prop it settles right down though and is much more driveable.  And faster at WOT.

It's all about testing and I think customfishing knows that.  I would agree that the 26 will be the best all around wheel for his Nitro.

Lightningboy

I own a 2000 TR-21, one of the fastest hulls triton made.  Also chine walks like a b*tch if you don't know how to drive it over 63-65 mph.  6 inch hydraulic jackplate with 2 inch spacers.  225 EFI that's been well worked to around 275-280 hp; about the same as a "hot" 250 XS.  I run two props: a 25 trophy for June to August.  My "fishin" prop.  Spring and Fall I turn a Rich Boger custom 27 trophy.  Been thinned & cupped so it launches like a 27 but turns top end like a 29.

I've been behind the wheel of many rigs, from your 186 (which can be a real performer with a 6 inch jackplate) through a 26 foot Boston Whaler.  I grew up across from the ramp in Alpena that opens on to Thunder Bay, so I know about big water too.  Fastest I've run is 94 mph in a Bullet 21XDC with a 300 XS.

The only reason a Nitro won't chine walk is because you can't hang enough hp on the back end to get one there.  You could make a Ranger walk with enough power too.  It's simply a matter of enough power available to push the weight of the hull clear of the water.  Once enough hull is clear of the water, the boat attempts to become the rotational object instead of the prop.

You said you can stand your 186 on it's transom with ease; you don't think that has to do with weight balance? 

You also said you could do it best with a Lazer II prop.  The Merc web site states: "the propeller itself features thin, high-rake blades for outstanding bow lift."

Mean while, the turning point is touted as: "Improved Speed, Handling, and Boat Lift."

I'm glad we all agree the 26 will be the best all around prop.

...and we really need ice out.   ;D

customfishn

The Fury is  a 3 blade so they spin the RPMs its just a lighter alloy and it has a different cup so it digs more on the low end.  And who says Nitro's can't chine walk?  My yellow boat walked bad at 72 and have been in many newer z series that chine walk really bad.   But yes 26 is what Im going to go with I have heard the 26 to 27 fury would be 2-3 mph faster top end which is a ton on Lake Michigan

Waterfoul

I've got a 6" jack plate on my 186.  She flies as long as your not too scared to get it up there!  Kinda fun really.  Testing different props is fun too... lucky for me my job allows me to do some of that.

108 mph on Hardy in a 23' Warlock Cat with 960 hp screaming in my ears thru over the transom headers and NO mufflers.  What a blast!  No chine walking a cat for sure!  Rock solid even at those speeds.

Aaron... I think you'l be more than happy with the 26.

Lightningboy

OK, I'm officially jealous; I still want to turn three digits.   :(

Firefighter Jeff

Three digits???  ............. screw that !!!!!!  :o     71 something in mine is plenty fast enough and I usually only run 65.  LOLOL

Waterfoul

100+ comes pretty easy to a well set up cat.  Wasn't scarry at all... freakin awesome is a better word!