Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Safe Ice ?

Started by Got Fish??, January 22, 2013, 04:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

I went to BassPro today and stopped to eat some lunch at the Olive Garden. The young lady who waited  on use told me that her husband was out on  the ice somewhere fishing. Is the ice thick enough to fish on? Or is it unsafe to be on, after that warm spell we had?

gmetime24

I know guys who went out on Sanford lake in midland county this past weekend and said there was about 4 inches. Also today when I was driving over the tittabawassee river it was covered in ice, not safe ice by any means but the river was open in most spots yesterday

fishstick

White Lake on the west side has safe ice in spots, was on about 6 inches today. Lots of lakes should be good to go for the weekend. I hope winter sticks around for awhile this time.

motocross269

It's making ice now... ;D

I was over at Selfridge launch on Saturday and there were boats out on Anchor bay....I saw a couple of guys walking with Ice fishing gear by the marinas but they must have been fishing open water because the Marina that I could see from the road had open water...

Lakeville lake had some guys out a few weeks ago but I haven't seen anyone out in awhile...That will probably change this week..

dartag

saw 2 guys walk around open water and head out the the middle of the lake to fish.  They were still out there after dark.  Hope they remember the way back.  Not sure any fish is worth that.  Guess others do...

TheFishinPollock

Plenty of ice. Rember we got  very cold weather before any snow hit.  The snow we did get got blown off the lakes so it never had a chance to insulate it.   4 inches of clear ice will support up to 600 pounds of so.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

tminer

Has anybody heard anything on the saginaw river yet? Was thinking about heading out there this weekend. Heard there was a few guys out before the warm weather we got.
Everyone should believe in something...I believe i'll go fishing.

gmetime24

Not sure how accurate this is but I heard there is about 3 inches on the saginaw river near downtown. You could call gander mountain in saginaw and see if someone in the fishing department knows

Shiver on the river starts this Saturday. Last year that river was all open water for the shiver, hopefully this year those guys will have some solid ice

Frank

For every 3 people I know that has went out, I only hear about one falling through.  You WON'T see me out there for a while.

gmetime24

Quote from: Frank on January 24, 2013, 12:30:50 AM
For every 3 people I know that has went out, I only hear about one falling through.  You WON'T see me out there for a while.

Seems like that is the story every year. I don't get why people head out on that river so quick. I guess they are desperate for some dioxin chemicals in their fish

Redbone

Nothing like falling through the ice and having the current pull you away from the hole you fell through. :o

fiker

The reminds of the movie about Houdini with Tony Curtis.  He fell through the ice of the Detroit River and was carried downstream.  I saw that as a boy and have always been afraid of falling through ever since.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

stackenem

Been thru the ice 3 times, cold and wet. Not something I would recommend doing. Finally bought a boat now I don't have that problem. besides I don't ice fish anymore either.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

EKennedy

Waw three out on Whitmore yesterday.  Not real far out from shore though.  Couldn't quite see if all the lake was solid or not.

Got Fish??

The only way I ice fish now is, when I open my freezer door with an empty glass in my hand and fish a few cubes out and into my glass. 3 inches is  to thin for me.

bigjc

There is real good ice up north.  I was out on Lake Cadillac/Mitchel and Lake Idlewild last weekend.  Ice was plenty thick: 6 - 10 inches.