Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

6 lb cxx for ds?

Started by karol, January 20, 2013, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

i don't know if i messed up but i put on some 6lb cxx and then wondered if that would be too light for both species of bass on a natural lake with clear water,thinking of mainly throwing little jerk shads and also smaller grubs on a 6-6 medium rod. thanks Karol

Waterfoul

Na, on a good rod you'll be fine.  Floro would be better though.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

detroit1

I started out with 6# mono, tried floro, and now use braid. It's like anything else in fishing, try a bunch of ways and find out what works for you.
WAVE THERAPY

Waterfoul

Quote from: detroit1 on January 22, 2013, 05:16:44 PM
I started out with 6# mono, tried floro, and now use braid. It's like anything else in fishing, try a bunch of ways and find out what works for you.

Personally I run 15 lb braid with 8 lb floro leader and always have.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

6 lb Smallmouth

6 lb CXX was my main spinning line until I switched over to 8 lb fluorocarbon.  That the toughest 6 lb line I have ever used so it is definitely not too light.  I used that line from everything from wading for smallies to skipping docks for bass and it never let me down.  But like Waterfoul said, fluorocarbon is better.
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

fiker

I fish in Michigan in pretty clear water most of the time.   

I've used 6# and 8# fluoro.  I found I had more confidence in the 8# but I don't think I ever broke off with the 6# either. 

Last year I used either 10# or 15# braid and 8# fluoro.   It's too cold to go outside and look right now to see for sure.

Both set ups have their advantages and disadvantages. 

Braid is more sensitive because it doesn't stretch much at all,  but braid floats.
Fluorocarbon is more abrasion resistant and sinks, but stretches more. 

Because the braid floats, you can actually develop a bow in your line.  This depends on the situation.  This bow reduces the sensitivity in the sense that when a fish strikes, (which I find to be quite subtle most of the time) the bow has to be taken up before you feel much.
The fluorocarbon is less likely to have this bow since it sinks. 

You can reduce the braid caused bow issue by using heavier weights.  This is not an option I choose and don't recommend it.

If you are going to fish relatively shallow, and the current isn't that strong, I'd say go with the braid/fluoro combo.  I know some guys don't like to have an additional knot to worry about but I don't think I've ever had a problem with it.  I tie the two lines together with a uni to uni knot.  If I'm not on the water and not in a hurry I put a small dab of super glue on the knot.  That's probably over kill but it is a confidence builder.  On the water I just tie it and get back to fishing.
My fluoro leader is usually about 4' long.  I don't think I get much of a bow with the braid that is in the water.  With a long leader I also get the advantage that if I break off in the rocks I can rerig with a shorter leader and not have to retie the whole thing during the trip.

I like having two different weighted lines.  In that way any break offs should be at the leader.

Using the 10# braid would reduce both floatation and water resistance that cause the bow in the line also.  But, I don't think it will make that much difference to even worry about it.  Unless you are fishing deep in a lot of current. Then maybe.   

So, like detroit1 said, the bottom line is you have to try different ways and see what you like. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Waterfoul

Quote from: JerkBate on January 24, 2013, 06:34:44 AM
6 lb CXX was my main spinning line until I switched over to 8 lb fluorocarbon.  That the toughest 6 lb line I have ever used so it is definitely not too light.  I used that line from everything from wading for smallies to skipping docks for bass and it never let me down.  But like Waterfoul said, fluorocarbon is better.

Couldn't agree more!   ;D

Lightningboy

One of the common misnomers about fluoro is that it stretches less than mono.  Stretch tests have shown that many fluoros stretch just as much or more than some monos.

It is more sensitive to light bites though.  Happens for the same reason that it sinks; fluoro as a material has greater density than mono, telegraphing vibrations better.  Fluoro is the only line that seems to deliver great feel even with some slack in the line.

Fiker, you are right on the money with a bow in braid killing sensitivity.  I've found even a little slack will make you miss bites.  The other problem I have with braid is that I find it too easy to "over work" a bait with even small movements.

Ya'll are right, bottom line is experiment & find what suits you best.

Waterfoul

Not sure what you mean about a bow in braid not transmitting a light bite vs. any other line out there.  Because of it's NO stretch it transmits even the lightest bite thru a bow in the line way better.  I've felt a bass take a senko 50' from the boat with a 10' bow in my line with 15lb Power Pro and a 4' 8lb P-line floro leader.  It's  one of the main reasons I fish braid/floro on nearly every rod I have (except for cranks/spinnerbaits/flippin jigs).  More feel no matter what the circumstances.

Manxfishing

I've found the all floro has a better feel on windy days
The braid just get's blow around to much above the water

under the water
Braid vs all floro it's about the same. With braid winning
The Braid even thou it floats, has a much smaller dia to cut the water better

I myself fish with 10# braid and a 10# floro leader or 10# fluro
The 6-8# fluro scares the hell out of me. And i don't trust it

But i will be trying 6# in a co-ploymer this year like the CXX
Should be perfect

Waterfoul

When I cast my braid set-ups I usually try to get the line down into the water to keep it from blowing too far to the side.  Works well for me... and once it's wet it doesn't blow around nearly as much.

karol

ok  guys, now, what is a good floro? i'm thinking halo or maybe xps but leary since they had quality issues. thanks again..Karol

Manxfishing

Skip the halo, Heard good things about the BPS but have never tried it

Seagurs has been the best for me so far and I'm trying Sunline Super FC sniper this year
Love the McCoy mean green for a Co-Ploymer but there FC was pure junk.

gmetime24

The BPS xps is pretty good stuff in my opinion. Also stren flourocast is a good product at a pretty fair price

Waterfoul

Just FYI. the Stren Flourocast is getting terrible reviews on many fishing sites.  Most of the guys on BBC won't touch it.  Same over at that "other" site around here. 

I'll stick with my P-Line and 100% Trilene.

Team houston

gmetime24

Quote from: Waterfoul on January 24, 2013, 10:47:43 PM
Just FYI. the Stren Flourocast is getting terrible reviews on many fishing sites.  Most of the guys on BBC won't touch it.  Same over at that "other" site around here. 

I'll stick with my P-Line and 100% Trilene.

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to switch over to Pline or just start ordering the BPS

6 lb Smallmouth

I love 8 lb P-Line fluorocarbon.  Tough, great knot strength, and manageable.  I did try the 100% but if was slightly inferior IMO.  Good line but I preferred the P-Line.  P-Line, 100%, and the Seaguars have all been great on baitcasters. 

Don't overfill fluorocarbon on a spinning reel. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Waterfoul

I only use the Trilene 100% on my crankbait rods, 10 and 12 lb mostly.  A little KVD line conditioner once in a while and it is pretty managable. I use P-line for leaders and a couple spinning set ups.