Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Done reading KVDs Bass Strategies

Started by gmetime24, November 14, 2012, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

Quote from: UAWBigDog on November 17, 2012, 09:38:36 AM
I have read this book and the thing that really came across to me was "keeping an open mind".  Don't be afraid to try something you haven't tried before when the bite is slow.  KVD didn't become as good as he is by being one dimensional.  Be versatile.  It tells you to let the fish tell you what they want.  Great book.  Everyone should own this in their fishing library.  And with winter coming on, its a good time to read.  I have several books that I can recommend that are good reads this winter.  Here they are:  Roland Martin's 101 Bass-Catching Secrets, anything from Ken Schultz is usually pretty good, Bassmasters Best Tactics and Techniques, Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic, any book from the In-Fisherman library on Smallmouth or Largemouth Bass Fishing to name just a few.  Other books by Van Dam are very good also.  Take notes if you are reading any of these books so that you can try some of the stuff you read about on your next trip.

BD                    ;D

That sounds like a good list BD, I am going to try and find a couple, but I notice one author missing...Best fishing book I have ever read was one by Denny Brauer (cannot think of the name of it right now).  I read it years ago, and it was an older book then, but it is pure jig fishing wisdom, and a must read.  I will try to find it later and post the title.

djkimmel

Quote from: BIGSHOW on November 16, 2012, 09:15:41 PM
Just might have to pick this up. I noticed the old (1996) version is .86. Then 3.99 shipping. I wonder how different the "revised edition" is?? Will do all my X-mas shopping through the GLB website link to amazon. Hope everyone else does too.

I think I have the original and that's it. I'm sure there will always be updated info but the basics are well worth any price. I definitely appreciate your supportive comment! Thank you!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: gmetime24 on November 16, 2012, 10:43:27 PM
The revised edition adds another 4 chapters to the book.  Those 4 chapters are filled with tons of great information and much of it covers power fishing with finesse techniques and how to utilize your time on the water with a power approach. The other extra chapters talk about what the strike can tell you and how lake conditions can help you pick a technique.

That's real helpful. I don't think I have that version but back in the day when I was fishing more tournaments, my few favorite 'reference' books like this sometimes warranted buying updated version too because I did crave additional and the latest info. Sounds like some really good topics. In this case, I would probably buy the latest version if I didn't already have the older version based on your review. Those are great topics.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I have most or all of the books BD and bigjc list. I also got the one from Joe Thomas - maybe a must read for anyone who is really into bass tournaments. Tells it like it is. I always recommend going in with your eyes wide open.

djkimmel

Quote from: JerkBate on November 17, 2012, 06:52:53 PM
Thanks for the recommendation gmtime.  I have the original but not his newer books.  I'll have to check them out in a couple months.  To read them now would hurt too much. 

Not to go off on a tangent but are there any good resources specifically for Great Lakes smallmouth?  I've done some searches and never really found much.  Thanks for any info. 

I also have all of Wayne Carpenter's books. Very good for Great Lakes bass fishing. I sell No Secrets Volume 1 on the GLBass store but Volume 2 is sold out and has not been reprinted yet. I will probably add Smallmouth Confidential to the store this winter.

Lake Erie Smallmouth by Mark Hicks is really good too. In the past it has been almost impossible to find a copy for sale but lately I've seen a few used, and even claims of new here and there. My above link is to a few copies on sale through various Amazon marketplace sellers.

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on November 18, 2012, 07:39:41 PM
I have most or all of the books BD and bigjc list. I also got the one from Joe Thomas - maybe a must read for anyone who is really into bass tournaments. Tells it like it is. I always recommend going in with your eyes wide open.

The Joe Thomas book "Diary of a Bass Pro" is excellent.  It really gives you some insight on what it's like on the tournament trail.

Quote from: bigjc on November 18, 2012, 04:58:45 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on November 17, 2012, 09:38:36 AM
I have read this book and the thing that really came across to me was "keeping an open mind".  Don't be afraid to try something you haven't tried before when the bite is slow.  KVD didn't become as good as he is by being one dimensional.  Be versatile.  It tells you to let the fish tell you what they want.  Great book.  Everyone should own this in their fishing library.  And with winter coming on, its a good time to read.  I have several books that I can recommend that are good reads this winter.  Here they are:  Roland Martin's 101 Bass-Catching Secrets, anything from Ken Schultz is usually pretty good, Bassmasters Best Tactics and Techniques, Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic, any book from the In-Fisherman library on Smallmouth or Largemouth Bass Fishing to name just a few.  Other books by Van Dam are very good also.  Take notes if you are reading any of these books so that you can try some of the stuff you read about on your next trip.

BD                    ;D

That sounds like a good list BD, I am going to try and find a couple, but I notice one author missing...Best fishing book I have ever read was one by Denny Brauer (cannot think of the name of it right now).  I read it years ago, and it was an older book then, but it is pure jig fishing wisdom, and a must read.  I will try to find it later and post the title.

I have so many books on the bass fishing I try to spend all the winter I can reading and brushing up on my mind set.  Mind set is very important in bass fishing.  bigjc I do have the Brauer book.  It is absolutely the best book for jig fisherman.  I plan on reading it again this winter.  Jig fishing hasn't been a strength of mine over the years and that's where I need to improve.  Fish always seem to eat a jig............. :o

I have almost every book ever published on bass fishing except maybe two or three.  I am looking for the Mark Hicks book on Erie Smallmouth Fishing.  Tough to find.  I may just have to order it.  There was another one that I saw at BPS and didn't buy it but should have.  My next trip there I will.  It was an all inclusive on the subject.  Very large and when I skimmed through it, very informative.  Every book that was ever offered through In-Fisherman, B.A.S.S., North American Fishing Club, etc., I've purchased.  I guess I am sort of a book worm but it reading these have improved my fishing over the years and especially my mind set when I fish.  Superior mind is key when fishing for money, for fun, or just piece of mind.  The brain needs exercise too.

BD                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jjjmpv22

Does that mean you are going to let me borrow it?

gmetime24

Quote from: jjjmpv22 on November 20, 2012, 02:03:00 PM
Does that mean you are going to let me borrow it?

I could probably let you borrow it. $5 rental fee per week ;D

jjjmpv22

As long as you don't charge me a fee to fish on your boat!

bigjc

BD, for years I struggled to learn to fish a jig.  It my biggest fishing frustration for years.  Two things made me a better jig fisherman (not that I am an expert now): 1) Denny's book; 2) I started going out for fun with only a jig tied on (often a finesse jig).

jjjmpv22

Quote from: bigjc on November 23, 2012, 12:41:10 PM
BD, for years I struggled to learn to fish a jig.  It my biggest fishing frustration for years.  Two things made me a better jig fisherman (not that I am an expert now): 1) Denny's book; 2) I started going out for fun with only a jig tied on (often a finesse jig).

What book is denny's book? My plan is start working on my jigging skills next season

Waterfoul

Quote from: bigjc on November 23, 2012, 12:41:10 PM

The second is how I learn to fish every bait.  I love it that some people still think I can't throw a crankbait or a jig.   ;D ;D ;D  Learn by doing... nothing beats it for honing your skills at anything.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Quote from: jjjmpv22 on December 04, 2012, 02:17:53 PM
What book is denny's book? My plan is start working on my jigging skills next season

There's two books I bought a long, long time ago from Denny - Denny Brauer's Jig Fishing Secrets and Denny Brauer's Winning Tournament Tactics. I like the tournament tactics book better.

bigjc

Jig fishing secrets. Sounds like the book I was referring to.

DeanV

I am a fan of the In-Fisherman books and the one Rich Zaleski wrote.  I have the two Kvd ones as well, but consider the others more in depth.

djkimmel

Rich Zaleski has long been one of my favorite writers. Very nice guy too.