Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:34:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Balsa Proto #1

Started by Redbone, December 12, 2012, 02:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

I have it in my head that I am going to make some crankbaits. My goal was to have a solid balsa body with a one wire design. Let me just say it is a pain in the arse. I am quickly seeing why everyone goes with some sort of screw design. I put the wire in today and it didnt happen the way I thought it would. Maybe the next one will be better... maybe not.

It still needs a bill, a belly weight, and paint. I'll have to see how the final product comes out.

Genie

Cut a slot, run the wire through belly weight, and epoxy all in place.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Redbone

That might be the way to go.

If anyone is making balsa cranks.. What are you using? Have you had problems with it breaking or falling apart?

Genie

with wood, that is the only way - imo
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

bassfan586

The few I have done I drilled holes, twisted ss wire into a loop twisted the end like a screw and epoxied it into the hole.  Bass haven't destroyed that.  A musky or plike will require thru wire construction.  To do thru wire it's easier to do before shaping.  Check out tu for a lot of good info to help shorten the learning curve.
Got one!

Redbone

I have sanded about 10 Cranks and I am not happy with the inconsistancy of doing it by hand. I think I may have 2 or 3 out of the bunch that will be real nice. But its still hit or miss at best.
    I am now going to try and avoid doing most of it by hand. I hope this model will be my hot bait next season.

Redbone

I finally went and purchased an airbrush and all the equipment. I am a little overwelmed on how hard it is to get something to look good. I am going to have to find some patience somewhere.

I only purchased the primary color pack of createx. I am seeing very quickly that I am going to have to purchase a few different colors. Premixing everything is going to be to hard to duplicate. ::) Any suggestions?

I also did a weight test with one of my designs. I hooked 6.5lbs worth of weight and tied it to the back eye. And picked it up by the front eye. It held up great! ;)

eetz

Quote from: Redbone on February 04, 2013, 02:13:20 PM
I finally went and purchased an airbrush and all the equipment.

I just started looking at airbrushes and compressors, lots of options. 

Redbone, what did you end up going with?

Redbone

I was stalking Craigslist for a few weeks and missed what I wanted by a few hours. I finally gave up on that tactic. Ended up getting a iwata neo from hobby lobby.40% off coupons helped there. Then I bought the air compressor from harbor freight. A new store just opened on Plainfield in GR. I had a 20% coupon there but it didn't include compressors. :-[

eetz

Cool.  I liked the price of the Neo over the other Iwata brushes. 

Good luck with the painting, I hope to start the same hobby in the near future.