Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Adjustments when catching tons of pike

Started by gmetime24, October 31, 2012, 11:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmetime24

Over the last couple season I have had days on the water when I can catch northerns without even trying sometimes. When you guys start catching too many pike do you look at finding a new area to fish? Or is this a good sign that baitfish are close and maybe the bass aren't far behind?

PineLk 49

Bait fish is a good thing. When I fish late fall and temp is below 50, I slow way down for green fish. A lot of time I downsize to 1/8 maribou jig and 4 inch eel pork.  Oh and did I mention black. Something about green fish and black baits that work well. When my bass boat is put away, I break out the little boat. I set up close to the area the fish are and drop the anchor and start fan casting. You would be amazed at how many more fish you will catch anchored than running a trolling motor. So if you are catching a bass once in a while huncker down.

Happy Fishing

jjjmpv22

Its no joke I fish with gmetime and we will go runs where we will catch 15 pike and no bass or a few bass. It makes us wonder do we do stick in the same spot or jet and move to a differnt spot. What do you guys do when and if you run in to this situation

32eml24

I run into that problem this type of year. I don't believe inactive bass will compete with actively feedimg pike so moving seems to be the most logical solution.

jjjmpv22

It isn't just this time of year seems like we will run in to this problem throughout the year. This year was better but in year past it has gotten pretty bad.

Waterfoul

Buck up and deal with it.  That's what we do.  Well that and buy more tungsten worm weights and EWG hooks!  LOL!!

This year we've started throwing more lead weights.  Cheaper by FAR than tungsten.  Doesn't give you the same feel for the bottom, but the $ saved is worth a little less feel I guess.

Also, fish structure more than weeds and weed lines.  Pike really seem to thrive near and in the weeds this time of year (and most of the year I guess).  We don't call them "Weed Rockets" for nothing!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

Or you could do what my dad does, fish with steel leaders and have your son kick your butt every time you go fishing. He would rather catch nothing than lose baits I guess.

gmetime24

Thanks for your input guys. I'm not that worried about loosing my lures, I know that is going to happen when looking for bass in areas those toothy critters also hang out in.  I was just wondering if this makes you guys feel its a bad spot for bass or maybe just change technique? It seems for me when we start to catch bigger bass that we don't catch many pike if any at all. I also feel that if pike are feeding then bait fish must be close

LennyB

For what ever reason, it seems like when the pike bite is hot the largemouth bite is not has been my experience, atleast on the inland lakes.

Waterfoul

Quote from: MBFT on November 01, 2012, 05:48:13 AM
For what ever reason, it seems like when the pike bite is hot the largemouth bite is not has been my experience, atleast on the inland lakes.

I've experienced the same thing.  Although not so much so on the Lake Michigan lakeshore lakes, the fish in those lakes seem to bite wether or not the pike are around or not.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

jjjmpv22

We mainly fish Sanford and Wixom for the most part.

djkimmel

Try repositioning in relation to the weeds. Sometimes pike will 'push' (not sure I believe it or not) the bass to the inside edge of the weeds or outside the weeds. If repositioning or changing presentations doesn't work and you don't want to catch anymore pike - got your quota - then try another spot nearby.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Redbone

Show a little more finesse. If there are pike you know there is activity.

32eml24

I don't know what those lakes are like at all but I know pike love weeds and big gaudy baits so I would have to second the show more finesse or target different cover. I do best on anything vertical now especially timber. Easy pattern to run and you are targeting catchable fish in high percentage areas which is important now. No fishing vast areas hoping to come across them. Just my 2 cents. Also some days they want a vertical presentation more than horizontal. Huge difference maker.  If you know the fish are down there find a way to make them react. I rip red eye shads... let it lay on the bottom and theyll just look at it. As soon as you rip it up violently off the bottom they will smash it.

djkimmel

I've caught some big pike ripping trap-type baits off the bottom!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on November 02, 2012, 04:12:33 PM

I've FED some big pike ripping trap-type baits off the bottom!!

bassmandan

my adjustment is take the pike home and eat em, man are they good lol and im serious about the eating
"dont stop keep fishing"

Manxfishing

For me
The pike let me know
I'm in the wrong spot or I'm to deep

If there on the outside of the weed edge, I'll be looking for the bass on inside

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 02, 2012, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: djkimmel on November 02, 2012, 04:12:33 PM

I've FED some big pike ripping trap-type baits off the bottom!!

You're doing it wrong!! :D

Redbone

I would like to change my stance on this topic.

Yesterday, I had a decent sized pike follow my $25 crank bait. I moved spots! ;) :-\'