Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:59:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2012 Fall West MadWags Memorial Members Tournament Results and Pictures

Started by djkimmel, October 29, 2012, 12:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

Some comments and observations............

First,  Thanks again Dan for all the work you put into these Opens. I saw how long it took you to just divide up the prize packs.  lol    Also a big thanks to the sponsors for their donations.  There's a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to using. :)

Yes it is true, I really like shooting pics.  I have just a little background in photography and love trying to take good, interesting pictures. Oh, and I'm sure someone put me up to taking that pic of myself.  lololol

The person you mentioned that stopped by for the weigh-in was an actual member of GLB..... Crankbait Charlie.   Not sure why he didn't join in. He knew about the tourney because I talked to him on the water the day before.

Justin (Thedude) was heading to the launch to turn loose his fish when it dawned on me that we didn't get a pic of it.  So I hollered for him to hold it up.  LOLOLOL  Didn't look very big from that distance........... sorry Justin !!!!!

Boy I was fortunate to get a lot of great stuff.  Thanks again Dan for donating your prizes to the first team out. Thanks also to Wavespin for the Big Ugly prize. If Justin and I had just a little more time we could have come up with a real nice mess of perch.

Wanted to also mention that I had a great time fishing with Justin.  He's welcome in my boat any day!! 

Best part of the weekend was hanging out with the GLB members and spending time with everyone at the cottage on Clam Lake.  Lots of fun  !!!!  :)

gmetime24

I see that Manistee Lake is mentioned quite often on these forums. Just a little bit farther north is portage Lake in Onekama. Is this a lake that gets fished very often For tournaments? and would it be considered for the fall mad wags?

djkimmel

Quote from: Mike S. on October 31, 2012, 08:49:25 PM
It's Macatawa, isn't it? 

Shoot! I was hoping no one would guess where I want to have it next year already!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I get mixed reviews on Portage Lake. I don't think I've been there in over 20 years so I can't recall much about it but it could be on the poll if several people think it should be? I'm not sure about the facilities but I would imagine our event could fit just about anywhere.

FF - thanks for taking the pictures. I hate to volunteer anyone unless they really don't mind! You did a great job! I even like the one with thedude! Variety is always more fun. I just can't get good pictures and do the other stuff too. Volunteers are always MUCH appreciated! Especially fun-loving volunteers!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Waterfoul

Haven't fished Portage since I was 10 years old... and that was with my dad who doesn't fish but simply took me out to shut me up (we were renting a friends house on the lake at the time).

I'm always open to new water!!  Make it so we can run Lake Michigan and I know where I'd go from Portage though... not far!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

jjjmpv22

I was there this summer for a week with my family for vacation and fished it a few times for a couple hours at a time on my kayak and got one really nice smallmouth on the dock at the portage point in. It bent my 7' rod in my left hand in the water on the right side of my yak a fish I will soon not forget. Also saw a giant largie swimming in the channel that runs into lake Michigan.

djkimmel

I can add it to the poll but I will not plan on letting people run Lake Michigan regardless of where we fish. I'll see what I can get out of Genie about Portage...

We just need to hold it somewhere everyone can have a place to fish and preferably catch some fish. We'll save the 'running the lake' stuff for the real competitive tournaments. Too much excitement for me!!

Waterfoul

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Genie

No big lake - that's not the point of these events.  Portage has big fish and has lots of different types of fishing.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

gmetime24

Portage can be a very fun lake to fish. I have not been there in a couple years, but for about 3 years I made at least one trip per year. There is a good mix of largies and smallies in the lake and I dont remember catching many short ones. I plan on fishing a madwags event next year as long as my schedule allows it.

It seems I need to make a trip to manistee lake to see what that's all about. Gotta love learning new lakes!!

Waterfoul

Yeah, but I have BIG fish spots on every lake up and down the lake from Portage!  I aint got nothin' on Portage!  Let me run!!!!   :D

TheFishinPollock

We are ready. Pick a spot.   <prediction>    2nd place again.  Yes , yes I said it already. yes I did  ;D :D :D
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 02, 2012, 04:57:02 PM
Yeah, but I have BIG fish spots on every lake up and down the lake from Portage!  I aint got nothin' on Portage!  Let me run!!!!   :D

Okay... how about this? You can run. Everyone else stays in the lake. But... once you leave, you can't come back in with any fish! You can just tell us how many you caught!!!

Sounds like we need to make it Portage Lake but wait a few weeks so Waterfoul can't go up there and start putting in extra time! ;D

djkimmel

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on November 02, 2012, 11:20:45 PM
We are ready. Pick a spot.   <prediction>    2nd place again.  Yes , yes I said it already. yes I did  ;D :D :D

Why would you shoot for 2nd?!? No one remembers who got 2nd?!? Who got 2nd this year?!? I don't remember!!

Waterfoul

If it ends up on Portage I'll be pre-fishing it for weeks and weeks...

Even if Portage is on the list of possible lakes, I'll be pre-fishing it for weeks and weeks....

;D

(I want to finish second!!)

Mike S.

I fished Portage once several years ago. We caught a few smaller fish. It was tough when we went, especially with just a paper map and no good electronics. I do remember seeing several big bass in several groups. I would be game for Portage, but muskegon and White would be more desired choices for me. Both lakes are pretty easy to fish.

TheFishinPollock

Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel