Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tue. Oct.16

Started by BIGSHOW, October 16, 2012, 12:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Arrrrr, this totally stinks. Went to the launch at elizebeth park and the gate goin in was closed. So I went in the exit gate to investigate. The launch was taped off. A lady came out and told me it was closed due to low water. She told me I could go at my own risk. It seemed ok to me. She said it was past the end of the dock yesterday with the high wind. I decided not to go just in case the wind picked up enough to drop the water down and leave me stranded. After I went and got my boat out of storage, uncovered it and took an hour off early from work. Time and a half. Not a good day...PS, she said erie,wyandotte and Trenton was closed also

FOB

Bummer, but it is that time of year.  St. Clair Launch's will be shutting down soon as well.  You could try Sterling and come back up.  Best to call ahead.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

LennyB

I launched at Erie Metro last week and could barley get out to the channel. I was OK until about half way out and then had to use the trolling motor. The water was only 12" in the marked channel.

BIGSHOW

The lady showed me skid marks all over the launch where people had a heck of a time getting out. I have a 4x4 so I wasn't to worried. I was just concerned of hitting an obstacle/rock that isn't usually there.

djkimmel

So is this just the wind or has the water dropped that much lower this year than normal? Or both?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I would say both, I went out yesterday and it was still low. Only two of the ramps were open at Elizebeth park. And they were tricky cause they were so low. It drops off after the cement runs out

LennyB

Quote from: djkimmel on October 22, 2012, 04:25:05 PM
So is this just the wind or has the water dropped that much lower this year than normal? Or both?

The actual level is as low as it's been in many years, probably since the 60's. If we get a hard West wind you may not be able to launch on the lower Detroit River.  :-\'

djkimmel

Maybe it's time to introduce Southern reservoir ramp building techniques to Northern entities? As important as boating access is to Michigan and the rest of the Great Lakes.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

Whats the southern ramp thing all about? I bet my axel was on the cement the other day in eliz park. Im probably done for the year. Im afraid of going out and the wind picking up and getting stuck without a way out

djkimmel

They extend their ramp cement way out for a larger variation in water levels. It has been done a few times to a lesser degree in Michigan. They dyked off the Upper Grand River ramp here in Lansing when they rebuilt it. Pumped out the water and extended it further out with an extra 6 feet of apron so they could launch the river queen boat.

It also meant you can powerload, as many of our trailers are designed for, without damaging the end of the ramp for other boats. I still don't because I don't want to get in the habit and don't want to hear about it from any 'zealots.'

They can powerload all over a lot of the country because they have solid cement ramps that extend way out into the lake. They cost more to build that way but they don't have to be repaired every few years eithers. On my life todo list to lobby our Northern states to start thinking about building (and rebuilding) ramps right the first time rather than keep fighting modern boat design, peoples' habits and ramp repair they can't afford.

I've seen 40-footers powerload at Harley but those flashy bass boats seem to attract most of the attention of everyone who wants to point a finger of blame.

BIGSHOW

Seems like a good long term cost savings. Especially like elizebeth park where you have 8 orso launches and lose money when they have to turn people away. Especially when they may drive a good distance,take time off work etc

djkimmel

I've always thought building them right the first time was a smarter in the long term when you think long term about repairs and usability. Just haven't convinced enough people up here to go along yet.

BIGSHOW

I think things like this are the last thing on wayne countys list of improvements. Although the city of Trenton runs it now. I'm really not sure who owns it or would pay for it.