Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Glass or graphite

Started by BIGSHOW, October 15, 2012, 06:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedude

Glass: (in no particular order)
Wright & McGill - Skeet Reese series or Rick Clunn Series
St. Croix Mojo Glass Cranking
Dobyns Champion series Glass
Powell Diesel & Max series
Lamiglass - lots of different models, certified pro and excel are worth looking at
Phenix - glass cranking series

i like the lamiglass blanks, but phenix has a great reputation for making awesome rods. i would like to give their glass sticks a try. The powells and dobyns have great followings as well.

Every other rod manufacturer makes a graphite cranking - rod i think they all suck for cranking ;D but i'd check out castaway, shimano, loomis
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

BIGSHOW

I've heard some good stuff on the dobyns. You a graphite guy thedude? I saw the Mojo's, but didn't see the glass ones. I may keep my eye on the boards that  way I can get rid of it if I don't like it. There also not bad about returns at most stores.

thedude

no - i haven't liked the graphite rods i've tried. especially when it comes to DD baits.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

bigjc

Quote from: BIGSHOW on October 18, 2012, 11:01:00 AM
Thanks for the input MOJO. I was at cabelas today and didn't see alot of glass rods. I was wondering what some other people use (brands). The way it sounds BPS has more. I'll also check the bbc boards

HANDS DOWN...KISTLER!!!

Manxfishing

I'm with you John
I'm 100% Kistler on the boat these days with no regrets

Kistler was running the Med. 6-6" Glass/composite Mag. for 99 bucks
I bought one over the summer and haven't used it to much, but it does have a soft tip with allot of backbone. And I could feel every thing

jdg279

I have been using a KVD 7'4" Medium action cranking rod for the last year.  I do not throw deep cranks much, but the key to getting them down deep ticking the bottom is LONG CASTS.  The composite glass/graphite mix rod will allow you to make longer casts.  It all depends what you are using it for.  Shallow squarebills and deep cranks require different rods, so there is no "Crankbait" rod that can do it all perfectly.  I also think of it like this:  with cranks, you want at least one form of a "safety net" so to speak to prevent fish shaking free with treble hooks.  Glass rods are one form.  So is monofilament line.  Since both add shock absorption but reduce your sensitivity, pick one.  That is, use a composite glass rod if you use fluro, but if you use mono, use graphite.  I think glass/mono together feel too mushy and graphite/fluoro doesnt have enough forgiveness in my opinion for deep cranks.  Just my 2 cents.

VinceR

Glass for me. I've been using glass since the first David Fritts Cranking Rods. These were the ones that were made by Browning. I had two of the original Browning versions, a 6' and a 6'6". I loved the parabolic action of glass. Only slightly heavier than graphit, not a noticeable difference. Certainly not a deal breaker.

I used them until Bass Pro introduced their first Cranking Rod. This one was a fiberglass 7' model. I liked it almost a s much as the Brownings. I tried a newer version of the CrankinStick when they switched to glass/ graphite comp, and didn't like that one as well as the all glass model.

My new hotness is the American Rodsmith version of the glass Fritts Cranking model. It appears to be an almost perfect copy of the original Browning/Lews models. Maybe using updated materials in the reel seat, but the rod blank looks almost identical, right down to the wrap on the guides. This series has also been discontinued (for now).

I have this model in 7' Med/Heavy, with a 7:1 reel (for lipless and smaller cranks), and a 7'11" with a 5:1 reel for DD22 (and other BIG/deep baits).

Oh, and I still have my BP original CrankinStick that I used for buzzbaits and smaller topwaters like a Sammy 100.

BIGSHOW

From talking to people here and other places thats what seems to be the answer. A well balanced mix of rod and line to get the fish in the boat.

Mojo

Quote from: jdg279 on October 21, 2012, 11:00:58 PM
It all depends what you are using it for.  Shallow squarebills and deep cranks require different rods, so there is no "Crankbait" rod that can do it all perfectly.  I also think of it like this:  with cranks, you want at least one form of a "safety net" so to speak to prevent fish shaking free with treble hooks.  Glass rods are one form.  So is monofilament line.  Since both add shock absorption but reduce your sensitivity, pick one.  That is, use a composite glass rod if you use fluro, but if you use mono, use graphite.  I think glass/mono together feel too mushy and graphite/fluoro doesnt have enough forgiveness in my opinion for deep cranks.  Just my 2 cents.

Dude - I take that back ........ jdg279 ....... Now that is some great input. I will be putting that to use (once I get some ceramics back in my eyes and get my 100% warranties snapped rods replaced)... Ward has been rather hard on my Rods and the Beaver .....
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

bigjc

Quote from: Manxfishing on October 21, 2012, 08:54:57 PM
Kistler was running the Med. 6-6" Glass/composite Mag. for 99 bucks
I bought one over the summer and haven't used it to much, but it does have a soft tip with allot of backbone. And I could feel every thing

I have that rod also and it is my fav. crankin rod. 

BrianB

Check out GRANDT RODS I have been using his glass rods for a long time. Have found that my hooks ups are better and they stay on.

YpsiBass

Admittedly I only skimmed the replies, but I didn't see anyone mention the action you'd be looking for in a rod.  Whether it be glass or graphite, I think you'll want a moderate fast action rod.  There's quite a few graphite rods that have that action which will have the give of a glass rod with the lightness/strength of graphite.  I have a Powell rod with a mod fast action that I picked up in June that I really liked for crankbaits this year.

djkimmel

Some variation of moderate is pretty popular for crankbaits rods. There are some exceptions and people farther South tend to use more heavier action rods than up North averaging out all the comments I've seen on this topic over the years.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.