Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:11:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Glass or graphite

Started by BIGSHOW, October 15, 2012, 06:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Looking for a baitcast rod for crankbaits. Been reading older post about this topic. I thought I would put it back out there since they were oldposts and some may have different views now. Any feedback will be helpful in my quest.

LennyB

I have both and prefer the graphite since it is lighter and offers more sensitivity as far as feeling the bait vibrate which lets my know if I picked up a weed, as long as the action is right of course.

Len B.

HellaBass

I am a graphite guy as well, in general, guys that fish more grass tend to like Graphite, but that is just a generalization

FOB

Glass hands down.  I have lost 50% less fish since going to glass.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

Firefighter Jeff

I prefer glass.  Seems I lose less fish because of the absorption of the rod.  I'm not fond of using them with deep diving crankbaits.  It's just too much work and strain fishing them.  I prefer xd series 5 (and similar) and rattlebaits for glass.

thedude

glass just gotta have the right action for the different occasions. if i was going purely for sensitivity, it would be graphite, but after a while you get a feel for the glass and you can tell if things are running right or not.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Firefighter Jeff

Think there's much truth to the, with glass having less sensitivity the fish have a better chance of latching on to the bait before you set the hook thought process ????

djkimmel

No. Not really. I used to say that at seminars maybe 20+ years ago. KVD says there's no rod or reel you can get a crankbait away from a bass with IF the bass WANTS that crankbait. The 'kid' seems like he might know what he's talking about...

I was a fiberglass person for many, many years. Over the last ~10 years I started thinking again and switched back to graphite. I prefer it now 98% of the time. Lighter. Easier to feel the bass coming up on your lure about to engulf it. Easier to feel the weeds and snap off of them, getting more strikes.

I'm steadily switching my rods over to Grandt Rods because MadWags really liked them and helped design a bunch, they have a lifetime warranty, they're made in the U.S. and because they support the website. Grandt makes some really nice rods.

I recently started using the Grandt All American Pro Series C76M 7' 6" graphite crankbait rod and I really like it a lot. About as much as my favorite C10.

Despite being a longer fishing rod, it is still light with the right mix of sensitivity and slightly softer action for crankbaits (so those hooks stay hooked better when maybe the bass didn't like your color, size, shape or action quite as much as you do). The C76M looks like a lighter action rod but when you use it for bigger cranks you can feel it has more strength in the butt than you expected.

I can't tell you how good it felt to slam the hooks of my Redeye Shad into that 5 pound Lake Skeg smallie on that fishing rod!! Once it jumped and I saw it was a good 'un I remembered I did not know where Doug's net was, and I had no helper. I sure was glad to see how well the rod fought that fat-bellied toad! It took me a while at the side of the boat to get the beast to slow down enough so I could grab lip without grabbing a handful of treble hooks! Though, not having fished much this year, I had decided if it came right down to it, I was going to grab fish and hooks just to make sure it got in the boat. I didn't know yet that there was another toad under the same log!

I was very impressed with how well such a long fishing rod handled the strike way out there - expected, and then also handled the tense, hard fight at boatside on short line with such a stout, mean, fat smallie!!

The short game at the boat is where quite a few big smallies are lost so when you find a bigwater crankbait rod that handles the short game real good too - we call that 'a keeper.' Me so happy! :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I value all your feedback and I try to do my homework before making any purchase. I think KVD is one,if not the best crankbait fisherman around. I watch his videos and value his info .  Does he accually use his products that he pushes? Rods,reels etc. Cause when i've asked certain questions about rods and reels. No one mentions his product. Always his knowledge. Cause if he is useing that stuff, I think i've found the answer to all our fishing needs....

djkimmel

Kevin isn't known for promoting products he doesn't actually use. Earlier this year, I saw him using the fishing tackle and gear he says he uses.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

kvd cranking rods are either full glass or a graphite/glass composite depending on model/year
Palehorse Custom Rods

BIGSHOW

I just wonder if his personal stash is modified to his needs? He seems like a stand up guy. I use some of his products. I just wondered about the rod/reel thing.Same with skeet reese,rick clunn etc.

thedude

i doubt it. reels might be tuned up, but i doubt the rods are any different than what  you buy on the shelf.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

I've been using a KVD cranking rod for a couple seasons now and really like it.  It's light and pretty sensitive for a cranking rod.  I have no complaints.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

KVD seems to be evolving still on the graphite versus glass rod for crankbaits issue at times. It's not something I've asked him about recently and I haven't seen anything posted real recent on where he stands right now - it appears he is using fiberglass now. I'm sure there's some recent talk from KVD about crankbait rods out there somewhere if you look for it considering how many places he pops up.

From what I saw, all of his fishing tackle and gear seems like stock stuff. I don't know about all his products and I've never asked him that question. I imagine he has been asked about this more than once.

Lightningboy

The glass vs. graphite debate will go on forever, since what works best is what feels best to you, and may not be the same for everyone.

One thing everyone needs to remember is the rod & line must work as a combo, providing the right balance of stiffness vs. shock absorption.  Close range flipping/pitching can use stiff rods since the hooks are large, with little chance of tearing out.  Cranks, traps, and topwaters need more shock absorption to keep those little hooks in place.

I like glass, but not just any.  The Seeker BS706S blank is a great choice.  It's made of "S" glass instead of "E" glass, so it's lighter and slightly stiffer.

Off the shelf, the bass pro shops Crankin' stick is a real sleeper;  a lot of rod for little money.

But you must use a low stretch line with glass, or you'll lose fish.  Doesn't have to be braid, but a low stretch fluoro or mono will work great.  Many use braid in the spring for rattle baits to help rip them out of the grass.

Go to a major retailer like BP or Cabelas.  Pick up any Loomis CB series.  This is the chevy truck of crankbaits; it's a standard for flex that many like, and something you can compare to.

bigjc

Ken makes a couple of great points: the BPS Crankin' Stick is hands down the best crankin rod you can buy for under $75.00.  If you don't have any crankin rods, buy a couple crankin sticks and then move to glass (or in my opinion glass/graphit composite) as cash allows.

BIGSHOW

I saw that g loomis. Looks nice. Would you use medium or medium heavy. I was thinking just medium, maybe 7'. I'll have to see them in person and get a feel.

Mojo

This might help. I have had all 3- graphite, glass and 50/50.  

50/50s really serve a good purpose for spinnerbaits, I could feel the weeds, but didn't lose fish.

Graphite worked great for buzz baits.

I traded for a med 6'8" Lews glass rod for $10 bucks - and wow, I never lost a fish while still making my way through the weeds. If they're thick I go to spinnerbait. But that now my exclusive shallow crank and rattle trap bait rod hands down.

My Razr Med Hvy 7'0" graphite is super sensitive and light and I use it for Deep cranking, but I have a hard time feeling with the DD 22s. Deep cranking is my weakest link, so I don't have much  input there.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

BIGSHOW

Thanks for the input MOJO. I was at cabelas today and didn't see alot of glass rods. I was wondering what some other people use (brands). The way it sounds BPS has more. I'll also check the bbc boards