Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:12:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tackle storage

Started by Mike S., October 13, 2012, 03:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I have tried several different ways of storing and organizing my various hooks, jig heads, and sinkers. Of all of the things I have tried, I'm not happy. I'm wondering how some of you organize yours. Is there a perfect box out there somewhere?  I thought I had it all good to go, and ended up with a big rusty mess. Now I have the hooks in their packs, but really don't like that either. Takes too long to find what I need. I don't like digging for a certain hook when I'm fishing a tournament. It wastes too much valuable time.

Frank

i use a 3700 box for hooks and have 4 z-rust tabs in it.  i have a smaller box for wieghts and another 3700 box for jigs, trailers, and chatterbaits

bob o

Quote from: Frank on October 13, 2012, 07:10:45 PM
i use a 3700 box for hooks and have 4 z-rust tabs in it.  i have a smaller box for wieghts and another 3700 box for jigs, trailers, and chatterbaits

yep pretty much 3700's clearly marked

32eml24

im in the same boat as you man i just order whatever i need or go pick it up the week before... places make a lot of money on dudes like us haha

Mike S.

Yeah. This year my whole box went right to crap. I lost a ton of hooks, tube jigs, drop shot hooks, shaky heads, etc.....  Don't want to have that problem again. I've been using that box for 4 years or better now.

LennyB

I've had my gear last for years. The trick is to not leave it outside when not fishing. Don't even leave it in the garage or in the boat. Condensation will rust everything. Put your gear in the house and if you do get a hook or component starting to rust, even a little, get it out of there and throw it away. As soon as I get back from fishing, I put the battery charger on and unload the tackle! If the tackle boxes are wet, open the lids over night to dry out.
Also, don't take everything you own with you. I buy my worm hooks in the 25 packs but I only take 5 of each style with me and restock when I get back. Same with spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc...

fiker

I use 3700 and 3600 Plano type boxes for most things.  For my hooks, I use a plastic box that nails come in.  I keep the hooks in their original packages, and stack them on top of each other in the "nail" box. 

I fish about as much from my boat as from friend's boats.  Being able to grab and go is of importance to me. 

Inside my Plano type boxes I use the blue plastic anti rust tabs.  They've worked quite well for me.  I don't know what brand they are.  I got mine from Yukon Jack.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

BIGSHOW

Google this #. I love it. There are different models but pretty much all the same. Try to go through GLB sponsors if they have them. WX2-225171

BIGSHOW

I have some other various tackle boxes in the for sale section if anyone wants to take a look. This post reminded me I need to get rid of some stuff

jdg279

Big show hit the nail on the head.  That is my all time favorite box.  I put weights in their designated area, and I leave the hooks in the plastic they come in to keep them from rusting.  It has a compartment perfectly sized for hook packaging, and everything is pre labeled.  I have the old falcon version but Plano bought them out and its the same box. I don't know what I'd do without this terminal tackle box.  Its lasted me a few years and don't see it breaking any time soon.

BIGSHOW

I thought it was cool when I bought it. Then when I put my hooks and weights in their places I started writing in marker weight sizes. Then noticed it was already molded in the plastic. Which makes it real cool

LennyB

Here's my setup. I just keep what I need with me and replace gear as needed when I return home. I pull the bags when I get home. This system has kept my gear pretty much rust free for a long time.

BIGSHOW

Nice setup. Always gotta have them Zara spooks.

djkimmel

Quote from: MBFT on October 23, 2012, 02:52:35 PM
Here's my setup. I just keep what I need with me and replace gear as needed when I return home. I pull the bags when I get home. This system has kept my gear pretty much rust free for a long time.

If I would have ever hit the bigtime, I would hire someone organized like you to train me how to be organized (or do it for me)! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

Yeah, no kidding. That's a nice set up.

Waterfoul

Mike, look into the Z-rust tabs.  Or do what I do... go thru all the show boxes at a store and take the little silicon packs out and use those!  They work well.

Good thing for me I know a place that sells shoes and won't miss those little packs.   ;D

Or, better option would be to fish more, lose more hooks, and have to keep replacing them.  I do a lot of that too!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

We now know who the shoe box silica bandit is!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Redbone

We purchased a couple new machines at work. Inside they had one gallon buckets of silicone. Its big enough to dry up a whole room! Not very practical, but I think it will be great in the off season to place next to my tackle.

Mike S.

I took my kids to a store on White Lake called Armstrong's yesterday. For those who have never been there, it is a privately owned mess, very unorganized, but probab ly has anything you could possibly imagine. Everything from bows and snowmobile parts to muskey and salmon baits. He has a ton of bass fishing equipment as well as live bait.

Anyways, I would put money on him having the largest selection on tackle boxes anywhere in this area.  He even had the Plano boxes for terminal tackle. I picked up a pair of those, and really got all of my hooks and sinkers nice and neat. Now I'm on a mission. I'm going to load my peg board wall in the garage up with all of my extra tackle, And get my boat a little bit lighter for next year. Everyone knows that a lighter boat goes faster.

thedude

i have all my plastics (surplus, one-offs, stuff i don't use much) in the big 3730 deep planos and i leave them in the original packages (sealed). This keeps the moisture away.  The stuff i use on a regular basis i put in gallon ziplocks. I put my hooks in with the baits in the bags - for instance i keep some 2/0 finesse wide gaps in with my gallon bag of senkos. I keep all my 5/0 and 3/0 flipping hooks in with my gallon bag of flipping baits or beavers, along with some ewgs.  This way i'm not in my boat, i just grab the gallon bags i'm going to use and toss them in a soft-sided tool bag. If i'm in my boat, then i have them just as accessible and all the extras stowed away somewhere dry. I keep my surplus hooks in smaller ziplocks (hooks in original packaging - sealed) and ofter put them in a 3730 or just some smaller rubbermade containers.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods