Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Albinos

Started by Dan, September 14, 2012, 09:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Near the cabin I have in northwestern Michigan we have had a population of albino deer. Have not seen any until tonight. Got in to a little pickle trying to take pictures. It appears that the driveway I went down to get a better, closer picture was on private property.  The guy got a little agitated. I kind of hurried the group shot. Wished it was more in focus. Oh well...
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

Hey trespasser, you think they taste any different than a brown deer?   :D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

Probably not, but I wish they were still protected in Michigan. What I have found mighty tasty is some of the salmon that I have been catching. I canned some this week and opened a jar today and made "tuna" fish salad. It was excellent. Couldn't tell it wasn't premium albacore tuna. I am planning on canning more now. We went out tonight and caught five. Filleted those and put them in the cabin freezer. Had some of the salmon I had the Big O Smokehouse in Caledonia smoke. Canned some of that as well. Haven't tried it yet. Plan to make smoked salmon chowder with it.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

fiker

Interesting.  I didn't know that albinos were no longer protected.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skulley

Has anyone ever seen an albino bass??   :o   Because I thought that's what we were talking about until I opened the subject.  Probably doesn't belong in this section of the forum.  But that's up to DK to decide.   ;)   Cool pics though.

BD                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

A little on the back story of 'albino' deer hunting in Michigan: http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2008/06/michigan_wildlife_officials_ma.html

Became legal again for the 2008 or 2009 hunting season I believe. I don't hunt (but I still support it when I can) anymore but I don't think I'd shoot an albino because I have a lot less patience for people who want to complain about every little thing anymore...

As far as this thread, I give a lot more leeway to members who post a lots of interesting topics and partake in lots of friendly information sharing and discussion, and who go around telling people all the time to come visit GreatLakesBass.com like Dan does. If I want something moved, I move it. If I don't move it, I'm fine with it. Though I always reserve the right to change my mind later.

I definitely do not recommend driving down strange roads, especially with cameras!! I'm afraid to turn around in someone's driveway!! ;D I've gotten in enough 'trouble' just fishing the wrong canal!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Besides... albinos aren't that far off from us vanishing redheads!?! :o I think they should have more laws to protect redheads!! Who's going to fix all the electronic stuff when the last redhead vanishes?!? SAVE THE REDHEADS!

Red Alert!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Genie

Yeah Dan Kimmel - I have 2!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on September 17, 2012, 12:49:18 AM

As far as this thread, I give a lot more leeway to members who post a lots of interesting topics and partake in lots of friendly information sharing and discussion, and who go around telling people all the time to come visit GreatLakesBass.com like Dan does. If I want something moved, I move it. If I don't move it, I'm fine with it. Though I always reserve the right to change my mind later.

Agreed!!     ;)

BD                          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

I too have a redhead. My great-grandfather was a red headed Irishman. Before my beard turned...it use to have a lot of red in it. Now when I grow one my sister says I look like Papa Smurf! So, I don't grow it out much. Hunting season is coming though. Caught a few more salmon jig-a-whoppering again the last couple days. I think the run is at it's end though. Not nearly as many fish being caught. Good thing the run is near it's end or else I'd have to rename the Bass Cat to Salmon Cat.

Waterfoul

Don't those salmon make a mess of your boat Dan?  They are so slimey and the lose so many scales when you boat them.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

First of all, I have always considered my boat a tool and not a fashion statement. I do take care of the boat, but when I'm fishing, blood and guts, slime and scales are just part of fishing. Spilt coffee and or any other beverage are included in fishing as well. I just try not to let that affect the outing. That being said, we leave the stinky, slimmy salmon in the net while removing the hook. We always bleed them, so we rip gills out immediately. While they still are in the net, we put them on a stringer and tie them to the back cleat. Our stringer is just a piece of rope. They technically are never in the boat. (What really helps too, is that we fish less than a half mile from the ramp so we just take off with the fish on the stringer and drag them to the ramp. I never even get on plane we're so close.) The only time they are in the boat is when we take a quick pic. I will have to take the boat and use a car wash wand to spray off the carpet. The back of my pickup has an odor, and I noticed a dozen cats in it last night. We throw the salmon in the back of the Silverado for the ride home. I now have some aroma to go with the fishing stickers on the back window. Literally scratch and sniff. Noone is going to park too close and bang my doors with that salmon stink going on. I don't know if the salmon are going to be stacking up much longer, but you ought to come up and give jig-a-whoppering a try.

djkimmel

So... you should name your boat either 'Scratch and Sniff' or 'Fashion Statement.'

chrisvmo

Quote from: Dan on September 14, 2012, 09:28:45 PM
Near the cabin I have in northwestern Michigan we have had a population of albino deer. Have not seen any until tonight. Got in to a little pickle trying to take pictures. It appears that the driveway I went down to get a better, closer picture was on private property.  The guy got a little agitated. I kind of hurried the group shot. Wished it was more in focus. Oh well...
Where is this? I know we had 1 or 2 near our cabin in Irons the last couple of years.

Dan

A few hundred yards from the old K&K that burnt down. If you're from Irons you will most likely know where that is.

chrisvmo

That's where I figured. Our place is just north of the old KK. on bass lake road.

djkimmel

You guys are probably related!

Dan

We are on Big Bass Lake. Spend as much time as we can up there. We've probably crossed paths. Who knows maybe Lt. Dan is right and we're even related. Don't think so though.

Waterfoul

Funny thing is Dan, Chris lives in Hudsonville so he isn't that far away from you down here either!  Hmmm....   ::)

Dan

Quite often I feel like I'm being followed, especially if I forget to take my medication for a couple days. Paranoia strikes deep and into your heart it will creep... Buffalo Springfield anybody.