Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cabelas Grand Rapids (Grandville)

Started by Dan, September 09, 2012, 02:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

Thanks VinceR. I appreciate it. I heard some rumors of that. Hopefully it will happen.

BD.                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Genie

That would be nice .. for fishing, I prefer BPS anyway.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Waterfoul

Lansing?  Ingham county?  The only county in Michigan without a real lake (the river doesn't count)??  They should be looking in Grand Rapids!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

VinceR

Actually, we have a couple of lakes in Ingham Co. One is Park Lake. It's small (less than 200 acres), but it has a decent concrete ramp and pretty good fishing. Lake Lansing is the other. It's just under 500 acres, and is one of the area's best kept secrets for bass fishing.

The land that is rumored to be under consideration is actually in northern Eaton Co. (Grand Ledge). What I find suspicious is that if true, it would be built nearly on top of Gander Mountain.

Waterfoul

As I stated... "the river" (aka Lake Lansing) doesn't really count.  Face it... Ingham county is pretty much devoid of lakes.

I'm pretty sure BPS has no fear of building near a Gander Mountain.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

VinceR

Not sure if you are joking, but there is an actual Lake Lansing (located in Meridian Twp). Not at all connected in any way with the river.

Even though we are limited for fishing opportunities in Ingham Co. (I actually live in western Shiawassee Co), we are a half hour from a lot of good small lakes (in any direction), an hour from many more (in any direction), and two hours from most of the best fishing (in any direction) in the state.

Waterfoul

Not really kidding.  Sorry.  Not a fan of Ingham county for many reasons... some of which include no lakes, that green and white school, politicians, that green and white school, and no lakes.

Just not sure it's the best place for a BPS.  Honestly it's kind of off the well beaten path that you normally see BPS and Cabellas being built.  And it's only an hour from the BPS in Auburn Hills.

djkimmel

It would be weird to have a BPS in the 'desert of Michigan' (as I refer to Lansing)? It would save me some gas money anyways. I hope it isn't a 'baby' BPS like GR is getting a 'baby' Cabelas?!? ;D

Actually, VinceR, Lake Lansing is 'connected' to the river through some underground stuff from the dam and probably also through small stream drainage from the south end. Some fish previously planted in Lake Lansing ended up in the Grand River on their own. But Lake Lansing is an old flooded swamp, not part of the actual river as we Lansingites... Lansingtonians..? Lansinganders..? or whatever well know...

Actually, all of Lansing is just one big ole swamp. Have you ever seen any pictures of the 'original' Lansing when they announced it as the new Capital and started then building it?!? Looked like a cross between a deciduous 'bayou' and the Amazon!! I think they even had to fight Malaria or some such!!  :o

We do have lots of rivers, streams and small ponds/lakes but some of them require 'connections' to fish. One is named after my wife's relatives but somehow, her branch of the family lost title so I can't fish there!!! Dangit!!  :'(

My spin on Lansing is that I'm always 'halfway to everywhere.' The river in Lansing is actually pretty nice to fish on too. Ask cameraguy. He was pleasantly surprised the first couple of times.

(PS: Not everyone here is green and white either!! It's not easy being green...)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

VinceR

Thanks for the "history" lesson, Dan. As I am not an original "Lansingite", I was not aware of the Lake Lansing/Grand River connection. I knew that Lake Lansing was once a swamp or drainage basin (as is Park Lake), but that's as far as my knowledge of it's origins go.

As for Lansing being an hour from BPS in Auburn Hills, if you can get there in an hour, you've broken several speed laws. I live a half hour closer to Auburn Hills than the rumored location, and it still takes me almost an hour and a half to get there.

Waterfoul

Well, I do drive kinda fast on the freeway when not towing my boat.   ;D

MSURoss

I grew up in Lansing and there isn't really any great fisheries, even within 45min drive. I spent most of my free time fishing neighborhood ponds. Ovid is hit or miss, (80% miss). The river is OK a few times of the year. Now that I'm in Mt. Pleasant for school there are plenty great lakes around here   ;D

djkimmel

There's some good fishing around Lansing. I won't say more so if you get back here, you have something more to discover yet. Good luck with that. Discovering new fishing spots is one of the best parts about fishing.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

Cabelas has now put their sign up on 44th St. They call it Buck Town. Play on the River Town mall name. I'll gets some pics today or tomorrow and give you a photo update. Rootin for Swindle on Smith Lake Southern Open.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

The G-Man.  I like him too.  I have a good friend in Arkansas that looks just like Gerald.  Or, I guess Gerald looks just like him since my buddy is older.  Anyway, always been one of my favorites.

Buck Town?  Not their best work if you ask me.

Dan

Here it is.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

Went by the new Grandville Cabelas today and they have the front door area all plasticize and are as we speak finishing the asphalt paving directly in front of the store. Here are a couple of pics. The Super Target next door to the Cabelas is now open as well as a new Meijers gas station next to the Target.

Waterfoul

Been past it several times in the last couple weeks... not sure how the plan to be open by Christmas.  It sure looks like they still have a lot of work to do.

Dan

I haven't heard that they will be open then. I've heard spring of 13. Looks like you did well on Manistee again.

Waterfoul

Yup, did pretty decent.

Some of us "in the biz" heard they were going to try to hit 2nd week of December to catch Christmas sales.  Like I said, I really doubt they will pull that off.

Dan

From what I saw, when I looked over their fence, they will definitely not make mid December unless they get that guy from Restaurants Impossible to drive em with a whip.