Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Skipping your bait with a baitcaster...

Started by BassinGT, November 16, 2006, 12:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassinGT

Anyone have any tips for skip casting your lures with a bait caster? Every time I try I get a backlash. Too bad I can't practice it this winter.

Thanks!

Gary

bshaner

You can still practice on the ice!!  Nearly the same effect.

Skipping with BC's is definately something I am trying to work on.  I've concluded that I need a short rod with a pistol grip and my reel choice is going to be a chronarch mg50.   Rod will probably be Medium power with a fast tip.

I can tell you that it's all about the brake settings.  I just have yet to refine them.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

fishstick

try using a roll cast to skip with a bait caster...it makes things much easier

bosshawg

thank you no... i's sticking w/spinning gear. much eaiser control and not having to work that thumb to reel feathering...i hate those huge back lashes.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

Dan

Me too. Don't even know why I would want a baitcaster to skip with. I like a shimano with a trigger for skipping. Can skip them a mile or at least from the back end of a 20 ft. pontoon out the front. Hardest part is getting them out of all the obstacles. Line is more important than winching ability IMO.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Revtro

I've skipped heavier baits with a baitcaster, but it is just easier with spinning gear...especially for unweighted Senkos and Tubes.  Try using all the centrifugal brakes in the "on" position, that'll help.  Then tighten up the spool and use a little more casting power.  That's how I've been able to do it.   Still prefer spinning gear for skipping though.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

There are a couple tricks to skipping with a bait caster.

One is the quality of the reel.  You need something with a good brake system on it.  I use shimanos and i can skip with the old curados ( when they are clean and lubed ) but its not as easy or clean as with my chronarchs or my chronarch Mg.  I will show you how i set mine up cuz its too hard to explain with words.  there is magic involved.

Two, you should start with heavier baits that are smooth.  Big tubes are probably the easiest bait to skip.  They are heavy, aerodynamic, and glide well on the surface.

Third, line is important as well.  Heavier line doesnt bunch of as easy as lighter line.  You will get less backlash if you start out with heavier line, plus the added weight of the line helps to push your bait to your target.

4th is the angle of the cast or pitch.  Just like skipping a rock, you have to get a good angle or the bait is just going to hit the water and sink.  I know this one is obvious, but its still worth a mention.

5th is the rod.  You need a rod that is going to fling your bait for you.  I like something with a little bit of tip.  Tho this past season i was skipping more with my flipping stick ( Airrus 7 ft heavy with extra fast tip ) but i think thats because i have gotten the hang of it enough to be able to use almost any rod.

Which brings me to 6 and the most important piece of the puzzle in my opinion.  Its all in the wrist.  Whether roll casting or pitching, you have to develop a feel for getting a perfect flick of the wrist.  I say this becuase i have tried to teach others how to skip and i let them use my set up.  They can have the perfect angler, the perfect distance, the perfect everything, but they cant get the bait to skip becuase they dont have that snap in the wrist.

I learned how to skip with a BC when Josh and I were down in SC.  We found a GIANT largemouth on a bed, but it was tucked way back behind some hanging branches.  The hole in the branched wasnt more than 6" wide by 6" above the water.  Well, i wanted that fish so bad that i decided i wasnt giving up.  I would sit there and attempt to skip until i could do it or i was out of line, whichever came first.  I think i made about 500 attempts before succesfully skipping my bait for the first time.  then another 300 before i could do it again.  But by the end of the trip, i was doing it on a regular basis.  And once i got home, i practiced everyday until i got better.  Now i am pretty good at it.  Plus, i am putting baits like jigs, rattle traps, and even spinnerbaits in places i never could before and catching more fish.  Learning the techniques it takes to skip with a baitcaster will make you a better caster in general.  You get comfortable throwing new anglers and keeping your bait closer to the water.  And once you do it a few times, it really builds your confidence up.  You will be making casts you never thought you could before.

PB himself :-\'

Revtro

That's it.  I want a seminar now.  PB, I will be begging you to come and teach this to our club this winter.  You can run, but you can't hide.   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

No prob Rev, but its easier when you have water to properly demonstrate the magnificence of the propulsionary factors associated with the reverse magnitude of the rotatary wrist flickage process. 

PB himself :-\'

Revtro

No problem... we'll set up a shot glass for you to pitch into.  Let's see what you're made of mister.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

RipNLips

First of all you have to use a lure that is auqua dynamic, a lure that will not catch the lure and stop. You want to have the lure reeled in all the way to the tip and use a side sweeping cast.

Believe it or not, the farther you are away form your target the better chance you have of skipping you bait into the desired zone, and less chance of spooking the bass.

I found the best skipping bait to be a weightless 5" senko
When in doubt, set the HOOK!!!