Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:15:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

FISHING GUIDE FOR MULLLET/BERT LAKE

Started by bassdude, August 20, 2012, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassdude

Dad and I are planning on renting cabin on Mullett Lake Sept 12-16 and have never fished these lakes. We would like to hire a guide for that first day, Sept 13th. Anyone have any suggestions? thanks!

robtheboatman

Check if Marcel Veenstra has any openings during that time.  I know he does several trips up there each year, and is a great guide to fish with.

http://www.marcelsguideservice.com/

Firefighter Jeff

Dan Kimmel could probably guide ya  !!!  :)

Golden Ghost

Quote from: robtheboatman on August 21, 2012, 11:24:39 AM
Check if Marcel Veenstra has any openings during that time.  I know he does several trips up there each year, and is a great guide to fish with.

http://www.marcelsguideservice.com/

Ditto

djkimmel

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on August 21, 2012, 03:36:38 PM
  Dan Kimmel could probably guide ya  !!!  :)

Except I don't have a license for that.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Dan

You could just take him out as a buddy trip and work for tips. ;)
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Tips are illegal. Gas money is illegal. Giving anything of value to the boat owner is illegal in Michigan. I can't get by just on my looks either... ::)

I could never be a guide for very long anyway. I like to catch 'em too much!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

There is a big difference between taking a buddy fishing and sharing the expenses, and guiding.  I take guys fishing all the time, and never ask for anything, and don't expect anything.  But if they feel the need to put a little fuel in my truck, so be it.

That said... wanna take me fishing Dan?   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Sure! We'll have to fish from shore though...

BIGSHOW

Are you serious about getting money for taking someone out. I understand if you advertise or are a guide. But tips? gas money? sounds extreme

djkimmel

I don't write the law. If someone asks about a specific topic I try to get the accurate answer. I have had a number of talks about this topic with the MDNR over the years and legally, there is no leeway according to the Law Division.

It came out of the burgeoning charter industry in the early days of the the salmon planting in the Great Lakes. They say boaters were taking out groups of people fishing and getting paid for that by other means than cash, or cash under the table as a gas money or something, so the boaters could get around going through the whole time and expense of becoming a licensed charter captain.

The same regulations apply to anyone who takes anyone else fishing anywhere in Michigan. You can't give the person who takes you fishing anything of value.

I was asking in the past because of the tournament habit of giving the boater a rider fee. Technically, that is illegal in Michigan. The MDNR has not made a habit out of doing anything about that but they definitely will occasionally setup stings for boaters who have a habit of taking out other anglers and getting something in return while not having the proper licensing/inspection for all waters, and certification/inspection for the Great Lakes.

djkimmel

If you're going to go through the expense of hiring a guide, it probably works out better to stick to fully legal guides.

If you're fishing with your buddy, do what you want but be aware of the law in Michigan.

If a stranger walks up to you at the dock and says take me fishing, I'll giver you $50, you might want to think a while on the answer... ::)

BIGSHOW

Good point, i'll keep this in mind. Thats what is messed up with all the rules of the water. Once you think you got em down one pops out that takes you by surprise. Like years ago I was cruiseing down the river near ecorse and was going maybe 10 mph eating a burger ans got pulled over in no wake zone. The area I was at was a 1000 ft from shore no wKe zone. How was I to know. I was probably 700 ft give or take. Needless to say I try and stay informed now. The ticket was high 115 or more. Maybe 150, dont remember

djkimmel

The no wake regulations on the lower Detroit River are crazy! They change every time you cross town or township boundaries anywhere from 100 feet to 1,000 feet. There are stretches where being exactly in the middle still isn't enough room to be legal on plane but they generally (not guaranteed) don't pull you over if you stay in the middle.

At Elizabeth Park they expect you to come off plane in the middle of the channel and then idle in to the launch. If you run down the shore or turn and run in towards the marina ramp opening they will sometimes pull you over for that too (I know firsthand).

I have posted the link to the sheriff department's map on here somewhere before.

BIGSHOW

I'm gonna have to find this. If you see it somewhere message it over if you have time

djkimmel

Look for Monroe County Sheriff Marine Patrol. I believe it is on this website several times and still on their website. If I remember where it is I will post again but a quick search should turn it up.

BIGSHOW

Here is a good map I found with no wake zones for det river. May save a ticket.. full size map at bottom http://www.questoutdoors.net/locs/michigan/det_river/special_regs/pg2.html