Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mullett Lake Michigan Bass Fishing Videos

Started by djkimmel, August 15, 2012, 05:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Spend any time on GreatLakesBass.com or around me and you probably know I LOVE Mullett Lake bass fishing! Mullett Lake, in Northern Michigan near Cheboygan, is just one of a whole bunch of GREAT Northern Michigan smallmouth lakes that provide fantastic bass fishing! That's before you even get to the amazing Great Lakes bass fishing! Here's a Mullett Lake playlist from the www.GreatLakesBass.TV to get you a little excited and maybe on your way to find your favorite big bass lake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gffSDRC7cGg&list=76EE38F7843B9893

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

djkimmel

GreatLakesBass.com member spetersen says he wants to catch a 5 pound smallmouth bass and Mullett Lake obliges!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02uAafcXhtw

bigmojet

Thanks for posting. I havent fished since end of June and this is getting me fired up for Sept- Nov fishing.

djkimmel

I think I had dreams about fall smallmouth bass fishing last night after reminiscing on these.

Firefighter Jeff

Heading there October 6th .........   ;D

djkimmel

Aw man... not sure again if I can make it this year. But... one of my old fishing partners has been threatening, after several years on the 'injured reserve list' to restart our old tradition of an annual fall trip up there. I had to remind him that sometimes we only went for a couple days if that was all we could do. Better than not going.

If he goes, I may throw him a change-up by taking him over to Big Tomohawk one day to do some flooded forest largemouth fishing too. Or maybe not. Isn't easy to leave those smallies...

If we don't end up making it, just don't catch all of them! Leave half a dozen or so for me for next year...

robhj

Thanks for posting. I've seen them several times & it never gets old watching big smallies get caught. I've been going up to the Mullett Lake area for the last 6 years and love the fishing. The guys I fish with mostly target muskies but it isn't difficult to get them chasing smallies. In fact, the last 2 years it's been a mostly smallie trip with a little muskie fishing mixed in. I'll be up there from 10/5-10/8. Until then, there's enough great smallie fishing close by to keep me fired up.

Rob

djkimmel

I like to hear that - thanks! I have not specifically targeted muskies up there yet. The muskies have targeted my lures a few times! The last time I was up there for some reason I got into more pike in one day than I have before. Not sure what that was all about. I caught them in a few places I've never seen them. The biggest one I caught did come from a spot that I have caught (or donated lures to) big ones before.

Not a big deal. I like catching fish period but sometimes the hammerhandles can be a pain. Especially when they steal one of my expensive jerkbaits as happened that last trip.

Firefighter Jeff

Hey Dan,  for some reason I got the audio but not the video on all of these. Just a white screen.  Please put your response in simple terms.  LOLOLOLOL   :)

Firefighter Jeff

Ummmmm I got it to work when I expanded the video full screen.  ;D    Hey Dan, you mentioned you using heavy line to keep the bait up.  I never use line that heavy,  can't  I/you get the same results with a lighter spinner???

djkimmel

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on September 21, 2012, 01:23:55 AM
Ummmmm I got it to work when I expanded the video full screen.  ;D    Hey Dan, you mentioned you using heavy line to keep the bait up.  I never use line that heavy,  can't  I/you get the same results with a lighter spinner???

Not sure about the white screen. I haven't seen that before. Could be a delay in reading the video from Youtube? You could try F5 to refresh the screen and view again. If it works in full screen it should work in other sizes. If you are viewing from some place other than home, there my be some kind of block. It could also be a flash player issue with your Internet Explorer 9. There have been some flash compatibility issues lately with IE and Firefox.

FYI, if you have a choice, use a different browser than IE. Microsoft has announced a vulnerability that requires a browser upgrade they are working on. You would have to visit an infected website but I don't know what websites or how likely. Microsoft has offered a moderately difficult install of another program to temporarily fix the vulnerability but many security experts are just recommending the more simple fix is to use a different browser. I use Google Chrome now.

djkimmel

1) As far as the spinnerbait, big baits catch big fish.

2) Big spinnerbaits are easier to throw farther to cover water.

3) I can control a big spinnerbait easier when burning and if I want to use a bigger willow leaf blade (see #1), a heavier spinnerbait can be burned easier with a bigger blade and faster with the big blades.

As I always say, using the best tool (lure) for the desired result makes you a better angler over the long haul.

I do occasionally use a lighter spinnerbait with a bigger willow leaf blade when I want to do something I call 'the slow burn.' I can keep the spinnerbait at the surface, giving the bass less to see up close to force them into a reaction bite but move it much slower to give less enthusiastic bass time to make up their mind they want to react. I do this under less than ideal conditions when bass are scattered and still appear to be feeding up. Tends to catch bigger bass. Some anglers would have the patience to slowly drag something on the bottom and maybe catch those same few big fish but I have seen when my approach works better too for the AND for me (because of my lack of patience issues).

Firefighter Jeff

gtfd455

Looking to make our first trip to Mullett Lake the first week in October. As long as the weather is stable is this typically a good time for the big smallmouth? Any recommendations on where to stay on the south end of the lake?

First post, thanks for the information you guys share.

djkimmel

That's about the same time I've tried to hit most falls in the past. Been away from my favorite lake for a few years darnit... Not sure about places to stay on the south end...? I've generally camped, or stayed at cheaper places in Cheboygan, or with the help of friends stayed at a decent place or two in Indian River.

Some people stay at the Landings. Slightly mixed reviews on that from various people though most were okay with it and you can possibly be right on the water. I've never stayed there. Had one dealing with the owner years ago that didn't go well (something else). Not even sure if it is still the same owner anymore though.