Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Your chance to fish against KVD Tuesday August 14 on Gun Lake

Started by djkimmel, August 12, 2012, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Your chance to fish against KVD

Compete against Kevin VanDam when he fishes with Rich Hale Tuesday August 14 2012 on Gun Lake in the NBAA Division 24 team bass tournamentHave you ever wanted to fish against Kevin VanDam, the best bass angler in the world? Well here is your chance. This Tuesday, August 14th 2012 at Gun Lake near Kalamazoo, Michigan Kevin VanDam and his co-angler, GreatLakesBass.com member, Rich Hale will be competing in the NBAA Division 24 evening bass tournament.

Read complete story on GreatLakesBass.com Tournament News

Details for this special event

• Date – August 14, 2012
  • Location – Gun Lake
  • Ramp/Weigh In – Yankee Springs State Recreation Area
  • Registration – 5:00 – 5:45 pm
  • Tournament times – 6:00 – 9:00 pm
  • Entry Fee - $42 per team/2 angler teams
  • Membership – At least one angler in each boat must be an NBAA member
  • Questions - Call 269-838-9482

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Too far for me to travel for a weeknight tournament.  It's quite a drive from the Detroit area to Gun Lake.  I'd like to fish against him on LSC where I may actually have a chance to beat him.................or not!!!    :P    It would be interesting though.

BD                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Qualify for the Elite Series and then try to get them here on St. Clair. Or, make a road trip for this chance now! ;D

Smaller lake so it shouldn't take too long to figure out. This might be your one chance to give it a shot?!? I'm going to settle for pictures and maybe some video tomorrow. I already beat him before! It has been quite a while since I did it but it still counts for me!!! Even if he doesn't remember! ;D

He had no problem remembering many of the times he beat me! Probably because it was more numerous than the other way around.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I expect a good turnout tomorrow. Lots of anglers on the west side fish Gun Lake.

Skulley

It should be real awesome. I wish I could get there. It would be my first time on Gun Lake. I qualified for the NBAA One on One Championship there on September 9. I've already registered for the tournament. I hope I can make it now. Lots of stuff going on come September.
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

VinceR

The third tournament that I ever fished was an annual open team event, sponsored by Landman's Marina (I believe) on Gun Lake. This would have been in about 85'. Like to guess who (at about 14 yrs. old, with brother Randy) won that one? Yeppers, lapped the rest of the field (of more than 50 boats) by at least 10 lbs. That was an "awakening".

djkimmel

Quote from: UAWBigDog on August 14, 2012, 06:59:09 AM
It should be real awesome. I wish I could get there. It would be my first time on Gun Lake. I qualified for the NBAA One on One Championship there on September 9. I've already registered for the tournament. I hope I can make it now. Lots of stuff going on come September.

See!! This is a perfect chance to start familiarizing yourself with the Gun Lake. I have never fished it. Which is odd considering I fish Barry County a lot.

djkimmel

Quote from: VinceR on August 14, 2012, 11:55:23 AM
The third tournament that I ever fished was an annual open team event, sponsored by Landman's Marina (I believe) on Gun Lake. This would have been in about 85'. Like to guess who (at about 14 yrs. old, with brother Randy) won that one? Yeppers, lapped the rest of the field (of more than 50 boats) by at least 10 lbs. That was an "awakening".

I think the entire VanDam family knows all of the bass in Gun Lake personally. They've won a bunch of tournaments on that lake over the years in various combinations.

That was about the time I first started fishing money tournaments but I don't recall meeting up with KVD until he was about 16 or so. I did run into Randy by chance and though I had no idea who he was, he did not seem to be full of it while telling about his latest fishing activities. Not too long after, I found out the hard way just how 'not full of it' he was!

Waterfoul

Gun Lake can actually be a very tough nut to crack.  We've gone there on a Saturday and caught some fish and shook a lot of them off only to return the very next day and not catch a dang thing! 

Just ask Ed Dyer!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TheFishinPollock

Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Redbone

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

Had to jump over to Facebook and get a post by one of our GLB members, Ed D. He fished it and usually fishes the event each week on Gun. Here's what he posted:

Joe Lockman and I took 6th place and had big bass of the tournament in the KVD tournament on Gun Lake tonight. We even beat Kevin VanDam and Rich Hale. Father/sonn team of Grant and COdy Hendrixson took first place with one of only two limits weighed in.

I messaged Ed and told him inquiring minds want to know, and hopefully he'll get on this thread and most some more specifics and maybe some pics.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

I went to the weigh in.  Marc (fastrack) was the unnoficial photo boat and carried our own Dan Kimmel around the lake shadowing Kevin and Rich.  Kevin caught one small keeper right at the end of the night that they chose not to weigh in.  I'm told Kevin and Rich fished shallow most of the night thowing moving baits and such.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Yes - thanks to Marc fasttrack - I had a 'camera boat' for the event. I got there as they were blasting off due to several changes in plans but I have pictures and video I'm working on today. Both Rich and KVD caught bass and pike. It seemed to be a tough bite for keepers but I enjoyed my first time ever on Gun Lake despite still not having fished on it.

Very nice event and hats off to NBAA and Jim Sprague for putting something like this together! Made Rich very happy. Had a good turnout of 30 boats for a Tuesday evening event with teams from as far away as Flint and the far SW corner of Michigan. BIG crowd showed up to watch the weigh in. Everyone was happy and having a good time. I love to see that.

Only 2 limits weighed in - that was 1st and 2nd. I think 1st was 9.45 pounds. Ed edyer had big bass. His boat had 2 really nice bass but only 2 so he did settle for 6th. Lots of 1 and 2 fish catches and quite a few skunks. Lots of smiles too.

fasttrack

The speed at which Kevin casts amazed me. Bait wasnt out of the water one second and it was shooting back out like a laser. I was also shocked to see him put down the Power Poles once, shortly after asking Dan 'why does he even have them at the speed he fishes?' lol. I had my 24v TM on about 80% just to keep even with him most of the time.

Dan, I have a bunch of on-water photos but not sure how to get some to you. They are high res so with my crappy satellite internet I cant really email them to ya. If you want some give me a shout so we can figure something out
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

djkimmel

Somehow, I have 92 pictures myself. Didn't think I took near that many even though it includes the weigh in. You could just pick out a few of the ones you think are best and email those? If you don't any a fast online option, burning to a CD and DVD might be the  only other good option? Not a big deal if you would rather not considering how many I have. Up to you. Thanks again for the ride!

fasttrack

I'll see what I can do to at least get a few of the better ones to you. I did burn a DVD and gave it to Rich. Also had a couple blown into 8x10's and presented them to him at the weigh in of our Wed night tournament. He seemed really happy!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

djkimmel

That was very nice of you. Lots of people would like to be in his shoes that evening. I never got to fish in the boat with KVD!