Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

knot problems

Started by stackenem, August 13, 2012, 12:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

Lately I have been having problems with the uni to uni knot breaking on a hard hookset. Using braid to fluro. Is there a better knot for this? The line is breaking right at the knot.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Manxfishing

Your not alone

For me it was on the DS rod
#10 braid with #10 fluro (seagurs)

These days I seem to have a beter handle on it
Making sure the knot is wet before clinching it and a loose drag

djkimmel

If you're using braid to fluorocarbon, make sure you wet the line and pull smooth to reduce heat build up that weakens fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon is very dense and builds up heat fast. Heat causes weakness.

You might have a problem spool of line if you have recently started using a new spool of line - is it older, been out in the Sun, sitting in extreme weather? Not common but just one thing to consider.

Lastly, if you are using braid with a short leader, especially if the leader is fluorocarbon, don't set the hook so hard. You don't need to. Maybe you have just been working out and getting stronger?!? ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigmojet

I try to run my leader short enough so knot doesn't get reeled through top gui.de especially under a load of a fish . That knot rubbing against the guide has to weaken it.

HellaBass

Try a dab of super glue, also tame down hook sets

I actually went to the seaguar knot

Skulley

You guys are too high tech for me.   ;)   I'm still using mono and I don't know what the knot is called that I tie.  I saw Jimmy Houston tie it on his show about 20 years ago and he showed the audience how to tie it and I'm still using it.  Go with whatever works for you is what I always say.

BD                           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

FishermanJohn

I use the double Uni knot and rarely have problems.  When I do it's almost always because of a). Sloppy knot tying (too fast, forgetting to lubricate the knot, etc.), or b). Too aggressive hook setting.  I had several frustrating break-offs the other week on the drop shot because of a combination of the two...remember to slow down, tie a careful and neat knot, and always remember to moisten the line.  It's worth the extra few seconds to save the headache of a lost fish or lure later.

djkimmel

Yes. Exactly.

Though I often skip the leader and still catch bass.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Rangerman

Double Uni and not a problem yet :D I do put a drop of super glue and smooth out with my finger very quick, loosen you drag a touch so you get a little slip on the set which does not have to be that hard on braid. But I don't catch 10 plus SMB on drop shots :D :D

djkimmel

Loosening the drag for a little slippage is a pretty good recommendation too. Helps with He-man hooksets while using braid and other superlines. Even helps with fluorocarbon.

I remember blowing some checks in the early days of braid because I was a strapping youth still and I would bend hooks out on the hookset, losing key bass. I also wrecked more than 1 set of gears on some of my spinning reels setting too hard on snags without some line slip. Took me a while to break that habit.

FishermanJohn

I agree with allowing a little bit of drag slip when fishing with braid, especially with fast action rods to compensate for its lack of stretch.