Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Need your opinions on a new boat line

Started by robtheboatman, August 09, 2012, 11:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robtheboatman

We are looking at taking on a new line of boats, and I wanted to get your opinions on the Phoenix brand of boats.  I got a chance to take one out, and it was pretty impressive. I have seen a few on Lake St Clair, but wanted to get the fishing publics point of view on the brand.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

VinceR

Rob, I"ve seen a couple of Phoenix boats on St. Clair. Nice looking boat. Thing is, it is very similar in design (hull) to Stratos and Triton as the designers and engineers were associated with both of those companies at one time or the other.

From what I can tell, most of the innovation is in the interior layout. Not sure if that will be enough to draw a significant number of anglers from the known "favorites".

As you are well aware, Michigan anglers tend to be fiercely loyal to the faves.  Seems that the new builders have a hard time getting a foothold in this area (even some of the older established brands). Plus, it's ties to BeeLine (formerly Bumble Bee) may not help, as they have not sold well, here.

What will help is if it proves to have an "amazing" (read, dry and smooth) on the "big water", and is a stable fishing platform on the same water. Boat construction and customer service (at the factory level) will need to prove themselves, too. Even then, you have get them out there so that the anglers can see (and feel) for themselves.

Just my humble opinion.     

bob o

as you proably already know Basscat purchased Yar Craft boats and now manufactures a complete line of bass and mulit-spieces boats. the walleye boats would be a big draw to the musky, walleye, pike and perch jerkers as well as having a full line of the best backed bass boats made. check them out i don't know of any other basscat dealer in michigan but i see lots of them on LSC every time i head that way

mikesmiph

When I was shopping boats for 2 years, (before it became financially impossible for the time being) Phoenix was #2 on my list. I really like the layout of their boats. I never did get a chance to ride in one. I would hold judgement until I could get out in one on St Clair in semi-rough water. Personally, I think there is plenty of room for a newcomer in the area. Not everyone is hooked on the old standards.

LennyB

Being from SE Michigan and primarily fishing Lake St. Clair, Erie, and the local inland lakes, I would be looking at Ranger, Triton, Basscat, and maybe the Stratos Elite series with the Champion hull for the big water as a consumer. As far as selling them as a retailer, I would not carry Ranger or Stratos because Cabela's and Wonderland already do and you be in direct competition with your neighbors. Tritons are available at D & R in Kalamazoo which is pretty far for an East sider to drive for service, so I would consider them. They have a very good product at a very competitive price. I'm not sure who sells Basscat but I don't think anyone close does. I've never seen or heard of a Phoenix dealer in this area which may be a plus to carring them as long as they have good marketing as well as a good product. I'm not sure how they will stack up against the brands mentioned above. My first choice would be Basscat to sell based on there marketing, quality, reputation and lack of local dealers selling them. My second choice would be Triton for the same reasons. The Phoenix lines reputation would have to be built in this area and could be an up hill battle. Just my 2cents  

fish hound

I looked at one at the show a year ago, and didn't like the way the glass under the decks wasn't "finished".  It' raw shards of glass, any wiring not in a rigging tube would chafe pretty bad.  Having said that, the one I've seen in a tx looked like it was pretty fast w/ 250 SHO.

Mike S.

I looked at the 2 of them that were at the Grand Rapids fishing show this year. Wasn't impressed in the least bit. Not saying it isn't a good boat, just wouldn't ever consider one. The front decks were very narrow. It reminded me of my old Nitro. I would try to pick up a known brand here, one that has a known reputation.

There is a Bass Cat/Legend dealer here on the west side, but those would be good ones to look into. I spent an entire day fishing with the Legend rep from the area, and he asked me if I knew of any other dealers who might carry their line. Unfortunately for Muskegon, all we have is a Lund dealer. I have the Legend rep's number if you want to talk to him. PM me if so. It's getting to the point where every 20 footer on the market is 50 grand, so price shouldn't be an issue.

Waterfoul

Lake Drive Marine in Coldwater carries Phoenix in their showroom.  Give Jeff a call over there.

Camp and Cruise in Marne carries Bass Cat and Legend, though I don't beleive they have a Cat in stock at this time.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Manxfishing

Rob,

I'd be interested in were do you think that the Phoenix brand fits in with price point and quality?

Bender

I looked at several of their boats at the Classic a couple years ago and they were impressive. I'm curious as to their price on the 618 because there are a lot of Stratos 285's out there but they replaced that boat with the VLO which is more expensive but looks like they made it a lot cheaper. I'm sure you would sell some 921s and 721s, but the 18' market should be a little more open.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Roy Randolph

Rob,

You know me and what brand I hold dear to my hart

But with that said I did look at a couple at the shows as well as photos of others

1st and foremost I noticed is the compartment on the passenger side as part of the passenger rod ramp. (They call it the "PASSENGER ROD BOX") This was my biggest issue! My brand had the same design years ago and ended up either repairing or replacing a lot of caps due to the fact that this compartment couldn't hold up to the stress we place on these boats and would have large cracks in the corners of the compartment walls next to the seat and at the passenger's feet. (Mine at the time was repaired twice) Maybe Phoenix increased the support there but it didn't appear that way on the one I looked at.

What I did like was the deck layout, I never could understand why manufacturers think we would prefer to use a rod locker to put tackle in.

Dash is simple with plenty of room for large electronics including space for a ram mount

I like seeing the metal fenders on the trailer I won't own one with glass fenders that cost an arm and leg to fix/replace when too many co-anglers don't know or care how they drive a rig.

Dimensions are nice, on the 921 but think any boat 20' or larger should carry more than 50 gallons of gas.

Last but not least warranty and service is just as important if not more important than anything else and I would spend a good portion of your research on this subject and see what reputation they have. You're putting your reputation on the line here!

All in All a nice platform but it comes down to price, if its priced up there with the major brands you're not going to get many people to take the leap.

You and I both know unless Texas falls in to the ocean I'm a very unlikely sale but I hope this helps.
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

LAPORTE

2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

robtheboatman

Quote from: Manxfishing on August 10, 2012, 06:50:30 PM
Rob,

I'd be interested in were do you think that the Phoenix brand fits in with price point and quality?

The reasons that I believed they would be a good fit in our market would be price, quality, and layout design.  They price out quite a bit less than the Ranger, and just a bit more than the Nitro.  I am looking at the team running the company, and they are all from the Stratos/Champion mix that everyone seemed to like, of the late 90's until  the Ranger take over.  They are also one of the only companies that is growing (I understand they had no where to go but up), but as they grow and get more money, I would think that would translate into newer/better ideas and products.  I had a chance to see one that had been ran on St Clair for almost 2 seasons, and was really impressed with how well it has held up.  I have only driven the boat on calm water, but a few different owners have have given me a lot of feedback, and they were more than satisfied with the ride of the boat.  Gary Clouse (the president) is a big tournament guy, and I fell in love with the way he layed out the 921 series boat.  Most everything that you would normally have to order, comes standard on the boat, and from a rigging/service/parts standpoint, that is a big bonus.  So far in my dealings with the company, I have found that personal touch that you lose with some of the bigger corporations.  The Pierce family gives that feeling to their customers and that is why you see the Basscat guys on here being so loyal to them.  Those are a few of my thoughts, feel free to call or email me if you want to discuss any of them further.

Thanks for the input

Rob 

River Rat

Rob,

If you want to take a look at my Legend Alpha 211, just let me know, I'll hook it up and bring it by.

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Mike S.

Hey Scott, empty your message box so people can send you messages. I tried, but it is full.