Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:05:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

WI Anglers - May be kissing tournaments goodbye !!!

Started by CuradoKev, November 07, 2006, 08:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuradoKev

http://www.bassfanarmy.com/bfa_news_article.asp?ID=228

Man, you have to feel for these anglers. Hopefully this can be resolved but it doesn't sound good  :'(

Ckev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

djkimmel

I worry about us too. There are some within Michigan who may follow similar trains of thought. The ban on moving fish around the Great Lakes only adds fuel to that thought, along with the LMBV concerns.

The Northern states all watch each other, and we had the sentiment put out at the bass season meetings that we tournament anglers 'may' be hurting bass genetics by bringing bass in from various parts of connected lakes.

All of which makes it continue to be important to me to keep learning more and passing it along hoping many of you will agree that it is imperitive we make informed decisions and stay involved with the people who can propose policy in Michigan... along with watching what is going on in other Northern states and provinces. I am considering commenting if I can on the Wisconsin issue since (we've heard this before) they are saying it will not impact businesses if they make this change. Well, I beg to differ, if I and others, including major tournament organizations, decide to not go to Wisconsin anymore to bass fish because it is too restrictive or complicated and/or apparently anti-bass tournament angler-oriented.

More on this subject: An open letter to Wisconsin tournament anglers - Local anglers encouraged to testify at hearings slated to debate proposed Wisconsin ban on live-release fishing tournaments

Not that long ago, you could keep 10 bass a day in Wisconsin and they didn't really worry too much about enforcement. Wisconsin's season does not protect the spawn. The Wisconsin federation actually got the Wisconsin DNR to start caring about bass as an important gamefish worth managing in a more targeted manner.

Then, in my opinion, some anti-tournament angler sentiment along with some do-gooder/purist who really don't understand bass biology moved in to bring things like the scientifically unsupported no-cull rule, and restrictions on Green Bay for fishing locations among other scientifically questionable 'attempts' to manage bass (or is it 'manage bass tournament anglers?).

Similar to how Minnesota got their closure on keeping smallmouth bass after early September just a few seasons ago. Some anglers are concerned that similar knee-jerk reactions could happen in Michigan as we get our MDNR to look more upon bass as an important game species. I say simply that it just means we need to be vigilant and involved. If not...?

Thanks Kev.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Grandbass

Does anyone know what is going on with Michigans permit system for 2007?? Last year when getting permits for our club a couple of the feild offices said the the permit system is changing for the 2007 season??

djkimmel

Depends on who you ask at the MDNR. There is some confusion and in my dealings a district office was more than surprised what I was told I could do by the Lansing office.

This is on my list of things to work on this winter. I do have some of the information. I just need to get an update on where the MDNR is on this at the moment. My one old contact never called me back, which is not what I like to see so on to a higher contact.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.