Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Humminbird 597ci di

Started by MSURoss, August 01, 2012, 10:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSURoss

Just bought my first graph! Can't wait to install it on the motorguide. Any tips?  w,ill be new experience.

Waterfoul

Careful with the transducer cable... use some zip ties to keep it from getting pinched in the motor when you raise and lower it into the water.  Make sure you get your 12v power from a NON-ignition circuit.  In other words... a circuit you don't have to have the key on or the engine running to get power.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MSURoss

Great thanks. I have a battery compartment in the front deck of the 16ft pro tiller smokercraft that houses my 12v battery for my motorguide. I'm thinking about putting my small  meijer deepcycle battery  next to the 34 class diehard that I have so the diehard wont get drained. Having it on it's on battery would decrease interference right ?

thedude

it's not advised to run your graph and trolling motor on the same battery - so yes, good idea.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on August 01, 2012, 11:21:24 PM
it's not advised to run your graph and trolling motor on the same battery - so yes, good idea.

Yeah, what he said!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MSURoss

MSURoss

Kind of wire should I use?

MSURoss

Planning on running a wire to the back of the boat now.  Also what circuit breaker should I use for the graph? I have to replace my short box on my trolling motor as well or shouldi use  something else? Anything else I can do to reduce interference I hear can be a problem? Sorry about all the questions.

Waterfoul

Make sure you use only marine grade wire (tinned copper).  Any other wire will eventually corode and isn't as efficient (can also cause more interference).  You can get the right wire at any West Marine store.  I would run at least a #10 or #8 wire... less voltage drop with the thicker wire.

MSURoss

Thanks, how would I go about connecting the 10 gauge to 18 gauge humminbird unit?

djkimmel

If you do that, you'll need a twist-on cap maybe. I usually don't mix single wires that are quite a bit different in size but the few times I have, I sometimes double the end of the smaller wire, folded over and crimp that into the larger connector that fits the bigger wire. One possible suggestion.

I like to use liquid electrical tape on some of my splices, crimps, etc to improve corrosion resistance.

I like to run a new wire for my electronics and just put an inline fuse of the size recommended by the manufacturer usually when I do it.

For my GPS/networked graph, I actually spliced in waterproof switches since the wires went to their own connectors on the battery and can be always powered depending upon the GPS receiver you have. That way I can turn them completely off and not worry about battery drain or weird shorts. I used an inline fuse for both and have never had any problems with this setup.

The unit I did this with actually recommended considering a switch because the antennae is always powered otherwise. Not necessarily recommending you do this but just sharing information that worked for me considering the specific recommendations that my unit came with (older Lowrance).

I didn't do this for my newer Humminbird up front. It is not networked and didn't have the same recommendations. I did run its own wire with its own inline fuse back to the starting battery bypassing the fuse blocks. I think I used 14 guage wire. Maybe 12. I have these wires on the opposite side of the boat from the trolling motor wires.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

1javelin

Quote from: djkimmel on August 09, 2012, 01:08:52 AM
If you do that, you'll need a twist-on cap maybe. I usually don't mix single wires that are quite a bit different in size but the few times I have, I sometimes double the end of the smaller wire, folded over and crimp that into the larger connector that fits the bigger wire.

Haha, drink Dos Equis much???

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

MSURoss

With installation complete no inference and 12.7 v at the head unit!

djkimmel

Quote from: 1javelin on August 09, 2012, 10:12:15 AM
Quote from: djkimmel on August 09, 2012, 01:08:52 AM
If you do that, you'll need a twist-on cap maybe. I usually don't mix single wires that are quite a bit different in size but the few times I have, I sometimes double the end of the smaller wire, folded over and crimp that into the larger connector that fits the bigger wire.

Haha, drink Dos Equis much???

1jav

Ahh...? No. Actually never. Probably tastes like beer. Never liked the taste of beer.

But I did recently stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: CMURoss on August 09, 2012, 10:57:23 AM
With installation complete no inference and 12.7 v at the head unit!

Well, you nailed that it sounds like! What did you end up doing?