Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Passports?

Started by joshimoto son, December 07, 2006, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshimoto son

Okay... here is what I've been told... can anyone verify this for me?

Starting Jan. 1, 2007 we will be required to have passports to go into Canada.

If we leave from U.S. soil and are just fishing in Canada, not anchored, we may have to have our passports with us.

Anyone... anyone...Bueler?

joshimoto son ;D

nitroderrek

as far as i know, not an expert at this or anything, but as long as you do not touch foot on canadian soil, you will not need your passport with you.  anchoring probably you would, but i am less sure on that.  i will NOT carry my passport with me fishing in canada unless i see clearly in writing that it is required by an offical source.  derrek

McCarter

I say carry it anyway.  There was some misunderstanding a few years ago with the I 68 form or whatever it was call.  I remember a couple guys got cited or something for not having it after someone said it was not required unless you were docking in canada.  i dont know.  i dont remember, but these days its better to be safe than to be sorry.

McCarter himself :-\'

Bassman24

With all the confusion with the I-68 form a few years ago, I started carrying my passport just in case I get stopped. 

Every year the concern about crossing the border by water comes up and it seems we never get a real clear explanation on what is required on your person. 

With all the fishermen viewing this site and LSC.net, I do not remember seeing a post about someone having a encounter dealing with border police over the past few years.  I hope it never gets to the point where we are prohibited to fish across the border.

GT 
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

djkimmel

I had several nervous times when the US Border Patrol sat right on the border watching me. Thought they were just waiting for me to cross back over, but I never found out because they usually left before I 'came' back across the line.

There was a bass boat stopped in the Metro Beach harbor a few seasons ago and things got ugly, but most of the action I witnessed was with the local sheriff deputies before Border Patrol or Customs got there. Apparently, he was unlucky enough to be asked for his I-68, but chose to give a less than cooperative posture with the police and they took serious offense.

When I left the area, they were discussing whether or not they would confiscate the boat. I think things started to calm a little about that time just before the point of no return was reached. I did not want to be nearby just in case.

As I often recommended during those times, the worst thing to do is be less than polite and accomodating if you do get stopped and/or questioned.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

As far as the passport question, this recent article explains the latest and most accurate picture of what I understand at the moment:

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/passports-required-for-all-air-travelers/20061122032609990006?_ccc=3&cid=842

Passports Required for All Air Travelers Entering U.S.
Rule Takes Effect Jan. 23, Applies to American Citizens
By BEVERLEY LUMPKIN, AP

WASHINGTON (Nov. 22) - The Homeland Security Department will require virtually all air travelers entering the United States after Jan. 23 to show passports - even U.S. citizens.

Until now, U.S. citizens, travelers from Canada and Bermuda, and some travelers from Mexico who have special border-crossing cards for frequent visitors were allowed to show other proofs of identification, such as drivers' licenses or birth certificates.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff disclosed the effective date of the initiative in an interview with The Associated Press. The Homeland Security Department was planning to announce the change on Wednesday.

Chertoff said the change was a crucial next step to helping ensure the nation's security.

"Each of these steps raises the bar to an attack. None of this is perfect. None of them is foolproof. But we're always better off when we build higher levels of security," he said.

"Right now, there are 8,000 different state and local entities in the U.S. issuing birth certificates and driver's licenses," Chertoff said. Having to distinguish phony from real in so many different documents "puts an enormous burden on our Customs and Border inspectors," he said.

In a few cases, other documents still may be used for air entry into the U.S. by some frequent travelers between the U.S. and Canada, members of the American military on official business and some U.S. merchant mariners.

Under a separate program, Homeland Security plans to require all travelers entering the U.S. by land or sea, including Americans, to show passports or an alternative security identification card when entering the U.S. starting as early as January 2008.

The Homeland Security Department estimates that about one in four Americans has a passport. Some people have balked at the $97 price tag.

The Sept. 11 Commission said in its report, "For terrorists, travel documents are as important as weapons."

The commission recommended strengthening security of travel documents. A 2004 law passed by Congress mandated the change to require passports as the only acceptable travel document, with few exceptions, but the exact date had been in question.

Canadian officials and some members of Congress from border states have expressed concern that the changes could interfere with travel and commerce.

Chertoff said his agency's data revealed that in September 2006, 90 percent of passengers leaving from Canadian airports had passports. The department estimated that 69 percent of U.S. air travelers to Canada, 58 percent of U.S. travelers to Mexico, and 75 percent of U.S. travelers to the Caribbean hold passports.

"Could James Bond and Q come up with a fake passport?" Chertoff asked, referring to the fictional British spy and his espionage agency's technical genius. Of course, he replied, because "nothing is completely perfect."

Still, he said, with new technology, it is increasingly difficult to forge passports, and having just one document to scrutinize should make inspection easier for both inspectors and travelers.

11/22/06 03:24 EST

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Note - it says 'entering the US' not whether or not you set foot in another country. If you are coming back in to US territory, you'll need a passport. My understanding is that by the 2008 fishing season, we will need to have a passport with us anytime we come back by water into US territory or risk potentially serious consequences. I plan on getting mine later this year.

We should be okay for the 2007 season coming back into US territory by water as long as we follow proper procedures if we anchor or set foot on Canadian (or other foreign) soil. That means meeting Canadian and US requirements. To be safe, you need a picture ID such as a drivers license or state ID card AND a certified copy of your birth certificate with you. The picture ID (non-passport) may not be enough alone because they have no real bearing on citizenship.

Disclaimer: I am not the law or a guaranteed source of US legal requirements so none of my statements will help you avoid an issue if you do get stopped. I am not even 100% up on the exact latest requirements by Canadian and US customs at this moment. I do my best to be accurate and timely, but in the end, only official Customs information and officers can have the final and accurate say.

Remember too, the burden of proof on whether or not you did touch Canadian soil is on you and you could face delays if you are stopped, so personal knowledge and preparation are important insurance to minimize potential issues. Do be polite and courteous if questioned. They can require you to proceed to a Customs office for inspection at any time you are observed coming back into US territory before you are allowed to return to shore anywhere else. In a tournament, that could easily mean a disqualification at minimum due to being late.

They are watching us to some degree. Several anglers got letters from US Customs that stated they were seen entering Canada on such and such a date, but there was no corresponding Customs check logged for them on that day.

I saw Border Patrol up in the St. Clair shipping channel and out between the Firecracker and the St. Clair light about a dozen and a half times two years ago, and several times this year despite only a few trips over there this year, so they are out there enough in my book (and with my luck) to have me wanting to be better safe than sorry. The lower Detroit River is another area I've seen the patrols fairly often.

Team houston

I made a copy of my passport, then laminated it. I then placed it in my tackle bag at the very bottom, under all my individual plastic boxes. I did this for the last two seasons. I also keep a copy in my wallet.

REEL_MAN

I don't know how many of you travel around the country by air, but having a passport has saved me a lot of time going through security check. I never thought about having it with me when fishing the big water but it does make sense.  If you want to hassel with the officials it's simple don't get a passport, that just reduces the competition ;D.
If you want to get your passport it is simple. You can get the forms on line or at the post office. You can go to Wal Mart and get the protos.  Mail in the form, photos and your orginal birth certificate (photo copy won't work) along with the fee (not sure of the cost) and about six weeks later you will receive a blue passport.
Hope this helps, and for those who want to fight the system I think they auction the conficated boats in the fall  :'(

REEL MAN

joshimoto son

What's an I-68?

Is that the name of the shipping channel? I-68 highway?

Bender

I think it is just another way for the government to increase revenue and to keep track of people. I travel internationally a lot and I need my passport. Heck I'm in Quebec City now. I'm all for keeping out illegal immigrants and terrorist people, but come on. The border is crazy nowadays, I think it is pretty obvious who they really should be looking for but what do I know.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com