Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Charity Island

Started by red68prostreet, July 27, 2012, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red68prostreet

Anyone know how smallie fishing is around Charity Island? I took my wife on the Charity Island boat where we go out to the island tour the lighthouse then have a great perch dinner. All total 96 people had dinner. One boat came from Caseville. The one we were on came from east Tawas. My wife and I enjoyed it and the perch was great.
I asked the Captain how the fishing was and he said he see's bass boats out by the island all the time. The trip from east Tawas is 16 miles but it looks alot closer from Au Gres or Caseville. The shore around Charity Island looks like prime smallmouth territory in the spring but I can see issues being that far away from the mainland if the wind kicks up. We had 3-4 foot waves going out and about 2 feet coming back. The captain says it gets flat on many days so I guess an 8 mile trip at 60 will only take 8-10 minutes.
Just wondering if anyone had any details about the fishing.
      Thanks,
              Mark

LennyB

Fishing is great out there. Just make sure to watch the wind forecast.

djkimmel

Some of the dumbest big smallmouth bass in Michigan live around the islands. Too much rock and not enough smallies but once you find them you can catch a bunch in a hurry at times. They don't seem dumb all the time either but I've been out there a number of times in the past without another bass boat in site.

Watch the weather very carefully remembering the big island is just big enough to hide how rough it might be on the other side (and therefore on your ride back). Also, tons of very shallow, long reefs all over around and between the islands. You cannot just run anywhere without knowing what you are running into below 10 to 12 feet. They can come up really fast. The last thing you want is no lower unit with the wind building in the evening. The tow boats aren't as busy out there as on St. Clair but they do a pretty good business with unprepared boaters of all kinds.

Pick the right days. Take it easy until you learn where it is safe to run and not safe to run and you can have an amazing fishing experience. If the wind blows too much, there's plenty of inshore bass fishing that is pretty good to very good around the bay too. I used to fish all around the bay quite a bit.

I make no bones that it is a dangerous place for the unprepared who don't know where to run and where not to run, or when to run and when not to run, but it is a fishing paradise on many days once you start finding some of the key fishing areas. A lot less pressure in general than other parts of the lower Great Lakes. It may not be more dangerous than any other part of the Great Lakes but I have broken more items there than everywhere else put together - mostly back when I was younger and probably a little crazy. Part of the issue was that we always launched from Bay City in the tournaments and had to run right up the Bay too. We had ways to minimize the pounding in some big winds but sometimes you either took it or stayed in the river. Part of me wishes I had stayed in the river a few more times.

It's a lot easier to fish there safely when you can pick and choose your boat ramp. Quite a few options near good fishing. I have always liked that it seems a little more wild and remote there too compared to other parts of the Great Lakes. Since the water has greatly cleared up, you can see a lot more of the stuff to avoid more often now or see what you can't believe you used to run through and didn't know was there before!

I haven't been to the Bay in a few years but it is way up on my todo list right now so it is just a matter of time before we meet again.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MBell

Like Dan said, the fishing is stupid in the spring.  The fall is good too, but the summer is hit or miss out there.  Au Gres is the closest ramp to the west side of the island where most of the fish are.  Caseville is close too, but that water is exposed to the north and east and can churn up quick.  IMO the best ramp is Bayshore Marina just outside of Bayport, MI.  At bayport you have north island withing 2 miles, if it does get rough.  Saginaw is not a place to mess around, come prepared it can get bad in a hurry.  If you have a good boat watch the weather and a good map chip, it's really no big deal.  Just take it easy til you learn your way around, anything under 10ft can to jump up to 3-4ft real quick. 
-Matt

red68prostreet

Thank-you for the replys and advice. Much appreciated.
     Mark