Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Micro or regular?

Started by troossien1, July 18, 2012, 10:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troossien1

I love the micro guides on my kistler rods! They feel so much more sensitive and castability is way better! I especially like the KAM microguides that they have on the rods (kistler advanced micos) because of how they are all one piece and directly attached to the rod rather than attached via the guide mounts. Becides my excitement about the kistler guides. My point is. Is there any hidden advantage to the normal guides that i may be over looking? It may be ignorance that I can't see it but are the micros the end of the regular guides?
I'd like to hear your opinions!
Kistler rods

djkimmel

The people who make micro guides do have lots of good things to say about them. I haven't tried any for myself yet so I don't know.

Most companies are still making 'regular' guides on most of their rods. Looks like it will take a while if this is an evolution occurring.

When I first saw your topic, I thought this might be a post about coffee. :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

troossien1

haha nope, i have micros and love them so im not sure what advantage might be of the others
Kistler rods

bassfan586

I have micros on a spinning rod and i feel the line slaps and hangs up a bit.  But it is light so i can overlook that.  I have 2 cranking rods that have spiral wrapped micros and i love em.  Cast a mile and light.
Got one!

djkimmel

Seems like you definitely need more guides and proper spacing for the micro guides. Spiral wrap would probably be the way to go for casting rods but that has never caught on with the 'mainstream.'

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

i've been using micros almost exclusively for almost 5 years now. IMHO - they are a no-brainer. They are cheap (typically less than 2$ per guide), durable and light weight. I do spiral wrap a lot of my casting rods, however, you can use the exact same number of micros on a conventional casting setup - the trade-off is typically that you will get some line rub on the blank when its under load - not a functional issue so much as a cosmetic one.  The only issue i've found with them is passing knots - i will typically run a size 3 or 3.5 guide with the exception of spinning gear (i use braid/floro leader) and use size 4s on those. 

If you've never used a spinning rod with micros and braid, you don't know what you're missing. The micros paired with properties of braid allow for super small guides to effectively rifle line off the spool.  Most conventional setups use a size 25-30mm as the first guide - micro rods will use the same larger guides for the first three before the micros start - however with braid, you can go down to a 10mm.

Not sure whats so scary about spiral wraps - they are superior in just about every regard, especially when comparing stability under load between spiral wrapped vs conventional rods. It also will allow you to use fewer guides near the tip, thus cutting back on tip weight.

As a side note, its a shame many of the factory rods are charging a premium for micros - the cost savings is immense for them, i would like to see it passed on to the consumer and spun off as some crazy, new, high-dollar fad.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

I have never used a spiral wrap rod but I like the idea. It just hasn't be adopted by a company with enough clout to make it mainstream. That change is tough thing mostly.

If you can get away with charging a premium, why not? Of course, I would like to see savings passed on too. Sometimes it works that way. Sometimes it doesn't.

Lightningboy

Spiral with micros is just astounding.  Makes a rod super light, and slightly faster in action.

I agree about the fluoro leader knot too.  I find 4's are about as small as I can go and not have the knot catch in the guides.

But 4's are pretty tiny.  Small enough that threading line through them is pretty tough to see.  At least for me.

Genie

Sorry - what is spiral wrap?  I guess I'm old - thought there was fiberglass and graphite.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

bassfan586

Did you guys see the nano micros that mh is selling.   I have a hard enough time threading line through a micro.
Got one!

thedude

Palehorse Custom Rods

Genie

Never seen that before ... weird at first glance ...
Grand Rapids, MI

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

thedude

this pic illustrates the primary benefit of the spiral wrap. The rod on the left is upside down because the forces exerted on the guides from the line and weight naturally draw the guides to the bottom of the blank (like a spinning rod). So if you're holding that rod, it's trying to twist in your hand any time under load - so you are not only fighting the fish, but also the tendancies of the rod to roll left or right in your grip. The spiral on the right is positioned and loaded correctly - transitioning the line to the bottom of the rod will negate this twisting action.

another good reason to have guides on the bottom - line slapl

vs
Palehorse Custom Rods

Genie

Is there a direction of spiral that is better than the other - spiral to the left or right?  Ex. All my rods are setup where I cast right handed and reel left handed - baitcasters and spinning.
Grand Rapids, MI

Lightningboy

In most instances it doesn't matter right vs. left.  I usually wrap the spiral toward the direction of the reel handles.  That way when the rod is siting on deck, the handles help keep the rod from rolling the side transition guide into the carpet and bending it by accident.

Spiral solves a lot of problems.  Less guides are needed to keep the line off the blank when bent.  The guides can be smaller since they don't need to keep the line from hitting the blank.  Sits very naturaly in your hand when fighting a fish; no side torque.

Only problem people have with them is they look funny.  Until you've used one for a day... ;)

djkimmel

I always thought you could tell which party someone leans towards voting for by the direction they wrap their guides? There are many real good jokes possible in this thread but I will resist the temptation.

I have always liked the concept but have yet to try it. I built a few rods back about the time Genie was a babby but did not try the guide wrap. I did not have a lot of trouble being different but there were limits... I do remember the master rod builder I learned from taught me about finding the 'spine' of the rod and how to tell when the guides were not aligned with the spine. Extra torque that wasn't necessary.