email
 Home  |  GL Blog  |  Forum  |  News  |  Tournament News  |  Conservation  |  Videos  |  Join  |  Youth  |  Site Map  |  Search  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Online Shopping  |  Donate to this site reluctant

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum  - extensive bass fishing home page specializing in Great Lakes, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario bass fishing techniques, news, issues, conservation, bass fishing reports, bass biology, tournament strategy, bass fishing lure and fishing tackle, bass fishing forum and fishing message board, logistics, weather and safety, and product information.

Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Your Great Lakes and Michigan Online
               Bass Fishing and Tournament Community.

Advanced search  
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 18' vs 20' bassboat on the Great Lakes  (Read 10191 times)

YpsiBass

• GLBass Friends
  • Legend
  • 1995 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Evinrude Vindicator
  • View Gallery
Re: 18' vs 20' bassboat on the Great Lakes
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »

Congrats on the boat! Never heard of the brand, but considering how long it took you to get one, I'm sure you've made the right decision. If you ever fish Kent Lake, I've got a pretty important waypoint to share with you...

6 lb Smallmouth

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 08:45:49 PM »

Congrats on the boat! Never heard of the brand, but considering how long it took you to get one, I'm sure you've made the right decision. If you ever fish Kent Lake, I've got a pretty important waypoint to share with you...

Thanks.  Tuffy is a small boat company in Wisconsin that caters to musky and walleye fishermen.  The X-190 has a big front deck and room for a kicker since I like fishing some HP-restricted lakes.  Recon is comparable brands. 

My main choice came down to the new Lund Pro V bass or the Tuffy X-190.  They were comparably priced and in the end, the glass boat won.     Came close to a couple used Panteras but decided to go new and get exactly what I wanted.  Gonna be a long wait till April. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Slipkey

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »

So it took me a couple extra years but I finally got my new boat.  Funny how buying a house and having a baby get in the way of a boat!  Anyways, I ordered a Tuffy X190.  Anyone familiar with them?  19.4' with a deep V hull.  Going to have to break it in properly next summer in northern Michigan. 

Congrats!  Tuffy's a nice boat for big water, from what I know.  I see a number of them when fishing on Green Bay or up in Minnesota with my Dad.

detroit1

• GLBass Friends
  • Master Angler
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 04:56:41 PM »

I remember seeing Tuffy's in Fishing Facts magazines in the 70's. They've been around for awhile....
WAVE THERAPY

bigjc

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »

Not a bad choice.  Pretty uncommon boat in MI, but popular with Musky anglers all over the country.  Let us know how you like it...

djkimmel

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com - Board Admin
  • View Gallery
    • GreatLakesBass.com
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 04:33:19 PM »

Yes, a follow up report would be helpful. I've seen them a few times on Lake St. Clair and occasionally on inland lakes too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of Michigan BASS Nation or TBF of Michigan.

6 lb Smallmouth

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »

I pick it up Wednesday.  Going hit Lake Geneva to start the break-in.  In less than a month I'll be in Elk Rapids for a couple weeks to properly break it in.  This is how it looked fresh off the line.  Will be powered by Yamaha F175. 

Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

bigjc

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »

The Tuffy looks like an excellent choice.  I have always heard good things about them.  You simply cannot beat a deep V design in a Great Lakes fishing boat.  Since the last time I posted on this topic, I have sold my bass boat, and for the past two seasons, I have been fishing out of a 16 1/2 foot deep V tiller, Alumacraft.  I miss the speed of the bass boat at times, but I always feel safe in it, and it tows well behind my GMC Canyon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Advertisements

Visit Other Features of GreatLakesBass.com using the links below

Site Home | News | Videos | Bass Forum | Bass Tips | Articles | My Confidence Products | Tournaments

GL Blog | Weather | Fishing Pictures | Building Bass Boats | Conservation/Legislation | Bass Biology

Advertise | Site Sponsors | GreatLakesBass.com Store | Online Shopping

Site Map | Contact Us | Search | About Us | Links | Link to Us | Resources | Privacy Policy | Disclosure Policy
Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot

VigLink badge