Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:34:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Some hunting reads

Started by Dan, October 27, 2006, 01:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Talked about canning venison. Pretty easy, but as I said before it takes a pressure cooker canner and some time. Here are some internet pages I googled that are pretty good reads.

This recipe was submitted by Paul Sturgill (STICKnSTRING)
Canned Venison
Canned venison is the best way to preserve the meat and you don't have to be concerned with freezer burn.
After canned the venison doesn't require refrigeration and will be so tender you can cut it with a fork.

For those of you who have not canned fruits, vegetables, etc. I will go step by step.

1. Visually examine the canning jars (Mason jars are very popular) for nicks, cracks and sharp edges.
2. Wash jars, lids, and bands in hot, soapy water. Rinse. Place lids in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer(180 degrees). REMOVE FROM HEAT. Leave lids in hot water until ready to use.
3. Place jars in a sauce pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.? REMOVE FROM HEAT. Leave jars in hot water until ready to use.
4. Cut the venison into small cubes or chunks. Clean the meat thoroughly and then fill the clean, hot jars with the venison. Don't put juices or water in the jars. Leave about 1" head space between the top of the meat and the top of the jar.
5. Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic spatula.
6. Wipe top edge and threads of jar with a clean, damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
7. Screw band down evenly and firmly. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE.
8. Use a steam pressure canner. Place as many jars of venison as possible into the canner. MAKE SURE JARS ARE SITTING ON TOP OF RACK PROVIDED WITH THE CANNER. This rack keeps the jars from getting too hot.
9. Follow the instructions for the pressure canner. The canner I have holds 7 quarts of meat and it takes 90 minutes at 11 psi. The time starts once 11 psi is obtained.
10. When processed, remove jars from canner. Carefully place jars on a towel or wooden surface out of drafts. DO NOT RE-TIGHTEN BANDS. Let jars cool 12-24 hours. The meat will bubble and boil for at least an hour after you remove them from the canner. Test for a seal. If center of lid is down, jar is sealed. Remove bands if you wish. Wipe jars clean.
11. Store the venison in a cool, dry, dark place. Bands may be reused. LIDS CANNOT BE REUSED.

This process isn't nearly as hard as it sounds.?
The outcome of the process will be a delicious tasting and tender meal of venison. I usually just pour the jar contents into a saucepan add onions and salt and serve with a baked potatoes. I'm sure many of you will dream up other great recipes with the canned venison.
It is great for camping, fishing and hunting trips because refrigeration is not needed.

Here are two other pretty good reads:

http://www.wildlifeartistry.com/hints-fielddress.htm

http://www.myoan.net/huntingart/deer_shot_place.html
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."