Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:08:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Overturned boat in Lake Michigan

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, July 06, 2012, 09:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Firefighter Jeff

Waterfoul

A great read and a lesson to be learned by ALL of us!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Another reminder to do more on safety on this website. Too many boaters take too many chances and often don't even realize it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mcfish

The best reminder I can give is to make sure that everyone has a life jacket on board that FITS them.  

Myself and two companions were tossed around on Saginaw bay a few years ago and after pulling the jackets out I realized that I had never "sized" one for myself.  I rode that storm out (waves over the bow of my Pro V) with a jacket that wouldn't go on, holding it in the crook of my left arm steering while running the throttle with my right.  

I'm lucky to have lived through that bone headed mistake.

Dan

If  you don't have a Mustang PFD, you need to buy one. When people say it's awfully expensive, it reminds me of a time when I was buying a helmet to use for a triathalon I entered. When I asked the guy what I should spend on a helmet, he responded with, "How much is your head worth?" I bought the more expensive one that had a much better rating. Right now Mustang is running a promo. If you buy one of their PFDs you get a Tech Dry pouch for a camera or cell phone. I got two of the pouches at the Green Bay Challenge. Mustang had a booth there and you could win a pouch by tossing a lawn dart type thing in a hoop. My wife and I both won one. They work great. If you end up in the lake, even with a PFD on, it's nice to have a cell phone that you can still use. You could dial right through the plastic to call for help.
You are much more likely to fish with PFD suspenders than a full vest. When I fish alone I always wear mine. Hardly notice I have it on.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Revtro

Wow, what a story.  Very sobering.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

motocross269

I have been getting better and better about wearing my PFD even in practice...I went back to a regular vest for safety reasons after my Auto Vest failed to inflate....I may get another Auto to wear full time while fishing alone, I hear the HIT vests are alot more reliable but man they are pricey...

Dan is right about the Helmet thing...you get what you pay for...I remember Bell helmets having an add along those same lines back in the 70s

Team houston

I have heard many stories and witnessed one myself where the CO2 type does not deploy. Old school all the way for me now.

djkimmel

The first one I owned deployed really well. In my boat storage box! Popped the locked lid open like a pistachio! I know that one worked once... Just don't trust that it will work again (anyway, I think the 'fishing' cats ran their own 'test' on it and they have claws...)

I have a fancy, smancy hydrostatic Mustang now that a very nice person gave me 3 years ago. I wear it most of the time I'm on the water.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.