Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

I know I'm fat but ...

Started by Genie, June 20, 2012, 03:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genie

I've been reading and comparing other boats and I think something is just wrong with my 2006 Skeeter zx225 hpdi 225.  I don't have the specs with me as I am writing this, but I will get them tonight. 

No matter what I seem to do, I just can't get the speed out of the boat that others with similar and EXACT rigs are getting.

Any experts out there that care to chime in on some steps to follow to help get this thing dialed in?

Thanks!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

motocross269

Remember these are fisherman posting their speeds  ;D size of bag and speed of boat is subject to the 20 percent exaggeration limit ;D

Genie

For the people that post on bbc and other boards - I know and I can factor that in .. most people did post exactly what was in their boat when they tested so you kind of have to take it more serious with that extra info. 

For the people that I personally know that have similar rigs and are faster, I just don't get it.  I know what they have and are loaded with and their setups and I can't seem to get mine dialed in.
Grand Rapids, MI

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

motocross269

How do you compare with RPMS, prop hieght,  prop pitch, etc etc with the other boats....??  As you know there are some prety setup savvy guys over at BBC that can figure out where you should be at with some basic numbers.....

This may sound stupid but I have heard of guys not having their throttles open up all the way with both foot and hand throttles....

Lightningboy

OK, I hate to be a disbeliever in BBC, but I would consider all top speed claims suspect.  Sorry, but it's true.

I run a 2000 TR-21, one of the fastest hulls triton made.  I have a massaged 225 that turns about the same power as a hot 250XS.  I've also got a custom 27 trophy that holeshots like a 27, but runs top end like a 29.  And I can just touch 80 mph.

Go on the top speed page at BBC, and everyone's triton does 80.

I'm sorry, but breaking 80 in a bass boat is tough.  Doable, but unless you run a stroker/bullet/alison, it's tough.

Take any numbers you see posted and reduce them by 5 %.  If you want a real world estimate, search on prop calculators.  Knowing the weight of your rig, plus HP, you can estimate about how many MPH you should be able to achieve with 7-10% prop slip.

That's the real world sign of efficiency, 7-10% prop slip.  If your fit that real world measure, you're doing well for that hull.

Sorry to bash anyone, but if I had a dollar for everyone on BBC that had negative prop slip for their rig when calculated, I'd be a pretty rich guy.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

You're boat was faster but then you went and had twins... so now it's slower. You'll be okay! We'll just fish on no wake lakes from now on and then no one's the wiser!

I once had a guy try to catch my 'slow' old Ranger Bass boat from Muskegon to White lake. He had a ____ (drop in whatever name you think these guys own that think their factory boat is HOT) that would run 89 mph?!?!? WITH A 225!! (I don't know whether to add a smiley here or a 'ROTFL... etc?)

My poor ole Ranger just does a modest 59 to 61 mph. YET... he never caught me all that way and he was right behind me coming out of the river??? BIG tournament! Lots of boats. I asked him if he was just trying to make me feel better about myself and he said he didn't want to catch me.

My question is - do you think I should have thrown a spinnerbait on White that day, or a jig and pig?

Okay, my real question is - do you think my GPS uses slower satellites than other peoples' GPS?!? That's what I think it is. My GPS keeps linking up with the slow satellites! I don't feel very good about myself. I think I need to spray some spam... no..? pam, on the bottom of my boat!?!

That might be the day the other guy passed me going up instead of forward?!? You really should slow down for those big tuna boat wakes!! At least trim down a little. Passing someone going up in a bass boat is bad. That's what I think anyway.

I talked to him later too. He says, 'that wave came out of nowhere!' I said, 'no, it came out of the back of the 36' tuna boat that crossed in front of us.' We disagree about that to this day. Of course, I got to beat that 89 mph boat to White Lake while he spent the day in the hospital with something called 'brain trauma' or some such. To be fair, I had a couple hundred yards head start on the 89 mph guy. (and no brain trauma)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Quote from: Lightningboy on June 20, 2012, 11:19:58 PM
I'm sorry, but breaking 80 in a bass boat is tough.  Doable, but unless you run a stroker/bullet/alison, it's tough.

Or Bass Cat.... ;) ;D................

McCarter

they say that my boat a 07 skeeter zx200 should run 72 mph with the exact set up i have.  i got it 67 once but mostly 65-66.  i even bought a brand new prop cuz my old one had some dings and got shaved down a bit.  i think my jackplate needs adjusting but who has the time to go out and play with that all day?  not me.  66 is fast enough for me anyway.  but 72 would be cool.

McCarter himself :-\'

P.S.  im also fat, but it cant make that much of a difference!!!  can it?

motocross269

I'm fat also...but I just compensate by carrying more gas in my Left tank... ;D

For me it is more important that my boat come on plane and stay flat in rough water than go 80 MPH....I will give up 5-6 mph top speed to keep the boat from wallowing in rough water all day...

Genie

True - 65 is fast period!  But I also pee standing up so that makes me want to go fast too.  I'm just tired of not getting out of the boat what it is capable of getting.

So once more: 06 Skeeter ZX 225, 12 inch jack plate, Yamaha vmax hpdi 225, standard prop that came with the boat.  Gets me 65.

Just seems like there should be more ...
Grand Rapids, MI

JL

One thing I have learned owning Skeeters is that they do not like to have weight forward in the boat.

I have an 04 zx225 and with weight in the very front compartment, you will easily loose 1-2mph.

BTW my boat will run right at 70 gps with this setup - A 25T-1 Yamaha prop at 3.25" below the pad, 5900 rpm, by myself, no weight in the very front compartment and 1/2 tank of gas. 

Hopefully this helps.

Genie

You mean the 2 middle tackle compartments or the 2 side rod lockers?

Ho do you measure the "3.25 below pad"?  I know there are links on BBC, etc. ... Just tell me in plain English.
Grand Rapids, MI

McCarter

Fords got a zx225 with a 225 yami and is getting 69 and isnt even propped right.  I think we need someine to give us a set up clinic.  I dont trust myself with tools.  Last time I adjusted my jackplate, it was crooked for 2 monthes and I had no idea. 

LipRip

The pad is the distance between the bottom of the center of your hull to the center point of your output shaft...(prop shaft).

How I check it is just put the motor down to where its level with your hull. Make your boat level by taking your trailer jack up or down. make sure you are on flag ground and measure from the botton of the center point of your hull to the ground. Then measure from the middle of the prop shaft to the ground. Subtract the prop shaft distance from the hull distance and that is your pad.

From what ive read, most zx225 and zx250 run best around 2.25"-1.75" below pad. They teld to like to be just barely in the water! Beware tho that if you run big water you prob dont want to take your motor up that high cause you will blow out easier.

My zx250 runs around 66-67 with a tournament load and Im turning a pos crappy prop (6100rpm), 1.75" below pad.

Genie

Some posts I've read mention the 225 and the 250 are the same block and guts, etc.  Only difference is the computer.  Is that true?
Grand Rapids, MI

Lightningboy

Genie, what model/pitch prop is on it, and how many RPM are you turning at 65 MPH?

Sorry to drone on, but here's my synopsis on boat set up:

First, prop with a pitch/model you know will turn the motor to the redline.  Since two cycle performance depends on air conditions, you may need more than one prop across a season.  Summer time I run a 25 trophy, but spring and fall a custom 27.  Different props can run better or worse for you depending on what conditions you drive in or how you load your boat, but getting one that should do the job in general is a good starting place.

Next, adjust the jackplate height.  Measure pad to propshaft distance, and take it for a run.  Keep moving the plate up in 1/4 inch increments, and making runs.  The idea is to keep raising the motor until you don't go faster top speed, or you run out of water pressure.  On that note, to do it right you need a water pressure gauge.  I wouldn't be without one.

After adjusting jackplate height, you can improve the holeshot if you have a plus system mercury prop.  The pvc plugs can be drilled to help ventilate the prop enough to let her spin up to get you out of the water.

How you load the boat makes a big difference.  Going fast means eliminating friction with the water.  That's the reason for raising the motor on the plate, to reduce L/U friction.  So that means getting hull clear of the water.  Weight forward in the boat is heavier because of the lever principle.  You wanna see your rig scream?  Take off the TM.  It's 60 pounds, but mostly it's right on the nose of the boat, making it even heavier.

But as was mentioned above, it's all a compromise.  Raising the motor may make you faster, but you lose your grip in big waves.  That's why I love having a hydraulic jackplate.  Change height as conditions dictate.  I'd never be without one again.

Genie, I feel your pain.  You've got a rig that should be capable of a certain amount of performance, and you expect that.  The right set up makes the boat most efficient too.  Right now I've got a 95 mustang GT 'vert;  302 under the hood, but has the standard 2.73:1 gears.  What's the use of a mustang that can't even do a burnout?    :-[

djkimmel

Quote from: Genie on June 21, 2012, 01:24:08 PM
Some posts I've read mention the 225 and the 250 are the same block and guts, etc.  Only difference is the computer.  Is that true?

There's also the extra 25 horseys?!?

You will be much happier if you go with my no wake lake suggestion. Then you can load it however you want!

djkimmel

Quote from: Lightningboy on June 21, 2012, 11:28:11 PM
Genie, I feel your pain.  You've got a rig that should be capable of a certain amount of performance, and you expect that.  The right set up makes the boat most efficient too.  Right now I've got a 95 mustang GT 'vert;  302 under the hood, but has the standard 2.73:1 gears.  What's the use of a mustang that can't even do a burnout?    :-[

Chicks?!?

Shoot! I'm going to have to censor myself...

Genie

I will look again at my config so I know what it is doing this weekend.  I'm also waiting on some measurements and info from some of the other boats that are comparable to mine to see what their setups are.
Grand Rapids, MI