Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

EWG Tube Jigs?

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, May 25, 2012, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

Do you prefer your tube jigs to be EWG or standard?  When do you use one style versus the other?  If there is a brand or style you think is the best, I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks for any tips.  Paul
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Redbone

I like the standard.  I have not been sold on the EWG's yet.  They both look good but I feel I get more in the boat with the standard.

Cheetam

I use the EWGs when using the thicker triple and quad dipped tubes, standard for everything else. 
Jeff

djkimmel

Steve Clapper says to always use a regular 3/0 hook for tubes. He's pretty good at this bass fishing stuff so I mostly go with that!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

I prefer a straight shank hook for just about everything I do.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TackleThis!

I use EWG ( Gamakatsu 3/0 ) to make a weedless tube and a standard ( Mustad 3/0 ) for all other times.

thedude

used the goby-profile tube jigs Dan (kustom kicker jigs) got and had noticeably (like near 90+%) better fish landing  rates than previous trips using the "big dude" style heads. The flat goby heads leave a lot more room for the hook, was very happy with them. I've noticed that last few times to st. clair - the fat-headed tube jigs get a ton more bites. They all have 3/0 standard hooks.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Have any pictures of them?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Yup! I think an angler could do some damage with these. What is the best way(s) for an angler to get some of these?

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks for the tips guys.  Guess I'll go with the traditional jigs.  Those Goby-jigs do look fantastic. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Lightningboy

I only like an EWG type hook when I texas rig plastics.  The gap gives more room for a bait to fold over for a good hookset.  If I texas rig a tube, I use a 3/0 EWG.

For tube jig hooks, round bend are fine.  You only have one wall on the tube to collapse, a round bend works great.

something to consider:  The type of hook you choose has more or less "keel" effect on a bait.  I think that's one of the reasons soft swim baits use a weighted EWG type hook.

macbass

If I am using a tube head i prefer the 3/0 mustad ultra point in a 60 degree flat eye. if i am texas riggin a tube i always use 3/0 ewg mustad.

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on May 27, 2012, 02:16:43 AM
Yup! I think an angler could do some damage with these. What is the best way(s) for an angler to get some of these?

Click on the Kustom Kicker Jigs banner in my signature... or from the Links Page here on Great Lakes Bass.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

you'll have to email Dan, they are not on the website - email address is, however.
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

Okay. Are they in any stores yet? Online at LandBigFish.com?

motocross269

Believe it or not I have had the best luck with Standard BPS Tube Jigs....Not the Pro model with the Round bend hook but the regular model with the Gammie EWG style hook....

One thing I do is cut a Slit in the tube to ensure the hook has freedom to move and penetrate the fishes jaw....

For flipping, Weightless, and Jerk Tubing I just match the hook to the size of the tube that I am using and the fall rate that I want....Again making sure that the Hook has freedom to move when I set the hook....