Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

5/21 - Gull Lake

Started by Bad Poncho, May 22, 2012, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Poncho

Gull Lake

5-21-2012

Noon-8PM

Water Temp: 66*F

Our day on the lake started out with a little bit of humor and panic. While my father was prepping the boat to send off of the trailer a couple of drake mallards were nipping at the heels of a hen, the hen in return came under the boat trailer wings flailing right toward him, the instant reaction of seeing him jump was something I’m simply not accustomed to but it did make a highlight for the trip.

When we got out onto the water the weather man had said expect winds at 9mph, I think he was a little far off; it was more like 15-20 with gusts of 25. Since I had forgot to charge the boat the night before we decided to just drift over flats, this ended up being the way to go. My father began with throwing his drop shot rig with a Jackall Clone Fry in Supre Shad, this quickly resulted in rock bass biting. I followed with a Blue Ice Advantage Baits spinnerbait and had a few back-to-back rock bass, that isn’t what we wanted though. From there we decided to shoot over to the east side of the lake to drift over another flat in order to use the high winds to our advantage. The major key here was to use some kind of Sexy Shad lipless crankbaits at high rates of speed. A keeper largemouth came on this method within a couple of casts, as soon as I tied on a custom painted Red Eye I hooked up on a 24″ northern, another quickly bit my father’s Red Eye right after that.

After some motor problems we decided to move to the north western side of the lake to be more near the landing, it was here that we saw something I have never seen. As we set the boat down I looked down in the water to check the trim switch and noticed a massive black cloud of keeper sized largemouth in 3-5ft of water moving into the 8-10ft zone. Moving back into the drop shot technique my father hooked up on a hefty 2.31lb 15″ largemouth on his Fenwick River Runner super light rod, this was followed by a barely 14″ though hefty largemouth on a Cotton Cordell jerkbait. As we moved to a rocky point my father tossed his drop shot up onto a rocky pile and came back with a small beautiful gold and yellow smallmouth. The pike were also up there, catching one on the drop shot. Topping the day off was an around 2.75lb largemouth on a drop shot yet again. We did drop quite a few fish, one being a VERY nice smallmouth who tossed the drop shot and another being a decent largemouth that resulted in a hook in the hand.

When we arrived back at the landing the other anglers mentioned how difficult of a day it was for them since they were fishing deep. Looks like we got it off right!