Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:04:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spinnerbait skirts and blades

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, May 03, 2012, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

I was recently going through my spinnerbaits. Half of the skirts and blades need to replaced. Does anyone have a brand of skirt that they prefer? What about blades? I need to get some willow blades in order to have a double willow blade presentation. I'm going to be doing some Northern Michigan smallmouth fishing where I'll be either slow-rolling or burning. Anybody have any skirt colors and blade size recomendations for fishing this extremely clear water? Thanks for any tips.  
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Skulley

I like any thing natural for up north. With the clear water in most places white, chartreuse/Wht/with some blue, shad color or anything along those lines. In spring into summer willow blades. Into fall to late fall Colorado or Indiana blades for more vibration. As far as brand names go for skirts, I have been partial to the Strike King KVD skirt with magic tails. Sexy shad and chartreuse sexy shad have been real good. As far as a Colorado blade goes I like Bugsy's blades. They are a deep cut Colorado blade that throws off more vibration than regular Colorado blades. PM me if you would like to get in touch with Bugsy. I am his union steward so I know where to find him. He makes those blades for the walleye pros for their crawler harness rigs but they work good on spinnerbaits. Bugsy's company is called Great Lakes Angling Products. He caters mostly to the walleye and salmon guys. He has done a few things for me as far as bassfishing goes as he makes jigging spoons. The mainstay of his business has been spoons for walleye and salmonoides. No particular brand favorite for Indiana blades. I hope this helps.

BD.                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Fixed that trailing forward slash mark in the titles.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

jacksonmj

This is who i use to get my skirts he can make any color you want and his customer service is outstanding.
http://www.blowingupskirts.com/

Mike

Skulley

Quote from: jacksonmj on May 03, 2012, 06:05:34 PM
This is who i use to get my skirts he can make any color you want and his customer service is outstanding.
http://www.blowingupskirts.com/

Mike

I'm going to check them out too. Thanks Mike!!    :D

BD.                           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks guys for the tips.  UAW- those were the colors I was planning to go with so it is nice to get a 2nd opinion.

Here's one question- what size willow blades do you like?  Do you usually have the 2nd blade a size bigger?   
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Skulley

The trailing blade is bigger. Since I like to feel vibration in my spinnerbaits, I tend to use an Indiana blade rather than willow in the spring. The rule of thumb is a willow in the spring. If you are using a rod with a fast tip like I do, then you will always feel some vibration. As far as flash is concerned, I think the Indiana blade gives off more than a willow. Sometimes I catch more pike because of the flash, however I have found to have caught better quality bass because of the flashier Indiana blade. As far as blade color, keep it simple stupid, chrome gold or chrome silver. I have experimented a lot with Spinnerbait combinations over the last few years and have built confidence in certain styles and fish them that way almost exclusively. To me being a good Spinnerbait fisherman is to find some designs that work best. You can minimize your tackle to be more efficient on the water. Especially if you don't get as many days out there. You want to catch fish everytime out so only carry lures that work for you. I should really talk. I still carry way too much stuff.....but I'm trying to be better and definitely more efficient.

BD.                                ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Frank

also try Bassdozer.  I really like the "smallie special", though white with just a bit of red on the bottom is amazing.  McCarter can also custom make them for you.

Frank