Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Would you take the challenge?

Started by Big dreams, April 11, 2012, 04:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

A buddy at work wants to have a "friendly" competition coming up on the 28th at an undecided lake.  Obviously we would release after a picture however, there is a slight disadvantage.  He has been fishing every Saturday and Sunday for the past 3 weeks now so his reaction is tuned.  We all know that reaction is the difference between catching fish and not catching fish.  Should I take him up on the challenge?  At this point the dollar ammount is minimal however, bragging rights are worth more to me than a few bucks.  What are your thoughts?

djkimmel

Reaction is just one of many, many factors to catching more and bigger bass. You can have the reaction time of a cobra, but if you're fishing the wrong place, you still won't catch many fish.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me unless he is one of those people who gets under your skin? You do refer to him as 'a buddy' though? I would do it with a very minimal money amount if you feel like it though I prefer opening day to be a stress free day of annual awakening myself. I had plenty of these types of things back in the 'old days' though too. I used to fish with a guy who every single time out was a big 'who caught the most' competition. I got pretty tired of it after a while.

Once in a while is fine and fun, but every single time out?? Nah...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Big dreams

That is a good point.  I too like the relaxing stress free atmosphere of opening day.  Good advice Dan!  Thanks

Mike S.

I would just concentrate on having a good day on the water. No competition. I personally, am going to work on opening day. I am going to do everything possible to avoid a repeat of last year's opening day.......a Blazer parked in the back of my Nitro, before I got to the lake.

Waterfoul

Reaction smeaction!  I say go out and kick his.. butt!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TimH

I would take the challeneg.  My buddy and I have a season long "tournament" that we fish competeing against each other.  We have made up some rules and regualtions, as well as made a trophy for the winner.  It might sound pretty stupid, but its a fun thing to do.

djkimmel

Quote from: mikeszr800 on April 12, 2012, 08:02:55 AM
I would just concentrate on having a good day on the water. No competition. I personally, am going to work on opening day. I am going to do everything possible to avoid a repeat of last year's opening day.......a Blazer parked in the back of my Nitro, before I got to the lake.

That will never happen again. I have sent what mojo (not The Mojo ;D) I have left to you for an entirely safe 2012 fishing season!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on April 12, 2012, 08:31:39 AM
Reaction smeaction!  I say go out and kick his.. butt!

Well... there's that option too! Done that a few times myself. Though it is not 100% guaranteed...

djkimmel

Quote from: TimH on April 12, 2012, 08:59:59 AM
I would take the challeneg.  My buddy and I have a season long "tournament" that we fish competeing against each other.  We have made up some rules and regualtions, as well as made a trophy for the winner.  It might sound pretty stupid, but its a fun thing to do.

That's not stupid. All depends on what you enjoy most. One my all time favorite partners and I used to have the official 'unofficial' championship of the world every fall somewhere on a neutral lake just between him and me to decide world bass fishing dominance. You've probably never read about it? We had all kinds of rules. We also had some trickery and just plain dastardly, underhanded maneuvers (what he called it whenever I happened to win)!

TimH

Quote from: djkimmel on April 12, 2012, 12:34:45 PM
Quote from: TimH on April 12, 2012, 08:59:59 AM

That's not stupid. All depends on what you enjoy most. One my all time favorite partners and I used to have the official 'unofficial' championship of the world every fall somewhere on a neutral lake just between him and me to decide world bass fishing dominance. You've probably never read about it? We had all kinds of rules. We also had some trickery and just plain dastardly, underhanded maneuvers (what he called it whenever I happened to win)!

That sounds pretty close to what we do.  We have a "rule book" that we typed up with all sorts of special regulations.  I think our funniest rule was one we wrote to deal with what happened if he or I had to cancel one of our "tournaments" due to our wives having somewhere else we had to be.  We called it the "MIDOL A" rule (Must Insist Delaying Organized League Activies).  Whoever had to cancel an event due to a wifes request was fined $25 and lost five points in the season standings.  The fine went into our "Season Champion Fund" that was awarded to the winner at the end of the season.  Our season starts with our "Classic" which is a three day tournament the opening weekend of Catch and Immediate release season.  To avoid having to prove pictures, we fish in the same boat all three days.  Our season runs all summer long and ends with "Championship Weekend" which is a two day event on St. Clair the last weekend in October.
We have some of the most absurd rules, but we have just about as much fun coming up with them as we do actually fishing, so its a good way to keep fishing on the mind in the middle of January.

djkimmel

We didn't get quite that far in our organization but the build up to the final event was INTENSE! ;D We fished in the same boat too in an attempt to reduce frippery and malfeasance... didn't always work! You know how anglers are!!

Big dreams

Those are some good times.  Now I don't know what to do lol

Mike S.

Quote from: djkimmel on April 12, 2012, 11:40:58 AM
Quote from: mikeszr800 on April 12, 2012, 08:02:55 AM

That will never happen again. I have sent what mojo (not The Mojo ;D) I have left to you for an entirely safe 2012 fishing season!

I appreciate that Dan. Maybe I will try to get out after work. Will all depend on how the wife is healing up by then.

djkimmel

Quote from: Big dreams on April 12, 2012, 02:28:10 PM
Those are some good times.  Now I don't know what to do lol

You know what the real answer is. If you think it will be fun, do it. If you're not sure it will be fun or a good idea, do something else.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

Cut that out! Don't you see what happens to Presidents anymore in this country?!? Definitely, lets not get on the topic of politics!

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on April 12, 2012, 04:31:40 PM
Cut that out! Don't you see what happens to Presidents anymore in this country?!? Definitely, lets not get on the topic of politics!

............and that would spoil a really great thread. 

BD                              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

It could spoil all kinds of things. I can ban Genie if he doesn't behave... or at least slow him down until the caffeine gets out of his system!

Genie

fast as fast can be ... can't catch me ...
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

I don't have to!! But I'll let you get away with it since you are the number one donater by far!